Social More black people are dying from Coronavirus in America

cunglaowins

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ore-black-people-die-major-cities/2961323001/

Of the 512 coronavirus-related deaths in Louisiana, about 360, or 70%, were African American patients, despite the fact that blacks comprise less than a third of the state population.
In Illinois, for example, there were 12,262 coronavirus cases Monday and 307 deaths, according to the state’s Department of Public Health. Of the confirmed cases, 29.4% were black, 27.5% white, 9.4% Hispanic, 3.34% Asian and 24.4% were left blank. Of the deaths, 42% were black, 37.1% white, 7.5% Hispanic, 7% blank and 4.2% Asian. Roughly 15% of the state's population is black, while whites make up 77% of the state, according to the Census.

In Michigan, the numbers were also bleak, with African Americans accounting for just 14% of the state's population, but 33% of COVID-19 cases and 41% of deaths.

In Louisiana, one of the hardest hit states in the country, 70% of the deaths related to coronavirus were African American and 29% were white, according to the state’s health department. As of Monday, there were 14,867 cases across the state and 512 deaths. African Americans make up 32% of the state’s population.

Alarming.
Some reasons were given:
- Poor blacks live in crowded urban areas, more contacts and less access to quality health. When you're sick, going to a hospital in a poor area is probably a nightmare.

- Poor blacks can't afford the quarantine lifestyle: have to go to work, have to work manual labor with physical proximity to people, for example, most bus drivers in Chicago are blacks. A lot of 'work from home people' are younger and educated using their laptops.

I'd imagine mundane stuff like warehouse shopping comes in to play: if you have money, you can load up for a few weeks at Costco or something. Poor people can't even go to Costco, have to buy food at higher costs and make more trips, more contacts. Poor people can't afford cars. Taking a bus is a scary prospect at this point, but how are you gonna eat?

- A lot more black people have existing health problems like diabetes

Some unique reasons were given (from another article):
- Black people are distrustful of the government. One guy said he didn't believe it until the economy started going south. He thought it was a government conspiracy (as in the AIDS epidemic?). Some even brought up the Tuskegee experiment.
- Black men are weary of wearing masks because people might think of them as criminals.

So what do you think? Is it a poor people problem or is it discrimination?

I think the biggest reason is distrust of governmental authority: the government said to stay inside, wash your hands, avoid contacts. ect.... Most white people obey them to the letters. Most black people don't, esp poor black people who had bad experience with the government.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for everyone on skid row in California to die..

went to the grocery store saturday. half the white people in masks, zero black people in masks. anecdotal.

went to the grocery store saturday. half the white people in masks, zero black people in masks. anecdotal.
Almost like when they see their governor on TV telling them to wear masks, they'd imagine it's a policeman telling them to wear masks.

Whats that skit with Chappelle about AIDS killing all the people white people hate?

This may have to due with the virus’ affinity for ACE2 receptors, but I have no evidence to support that.
ACE Inhibitors (ACEI) are amazing drugs for treating hypertension and have renal protective properties in diabetic patients. There is evidence that suggests ACEI improve morbidity and mortality (people live longer and healthier because of the drug). However, African Americans actually have more negative outcomes to ACEI than other antihypertensive medications.

The corona virus has an affinity to the same receptor that ACEI attach to. I’m wondering aloud if there might be connection.

Almost like when they see their governor on TV telling them to wear masks, they'd imagine it's a policeman telling them to wear masks.

the reasons you listed are all good ones. urban demographic, use of public transportation, lower adoption of public mandate or recommendation, essential employees that cant work from home. add in poorer health lifestyle (obesity, smoking).

separately, lol @ 77% of Louisiana is white. one drop rule.

This may have to due with the virus’ affinity for ACE2 receptors, but I have no evidence to support that.
ACE Inhibitors (ACEI) are amazing drugs for treating hypertension and have renal protective properties in diabetic patients. There is evidence that suggests ACEI improve morbidity and mortality (people live longer and healthier because of the drug). However, African Americans actually have more negative outcomes to ACEI than other antihypertensive medications.

The corona virus has an affinity to the same receptor that ACEI attach to. I’m wondering aloud if there might be connection.
Came here to post something similar.

Thiazide diuretics, calcium channel blockers, and ACE inhibitors all equally effective first line treatments for hypertension unless African American, then avoid ACE inhibitor as first line therapy.

Black citizens are more likely to live in multigenerational households, more likely to live in densely populated areas, more likely to use public transit, more likely to work in jobs that have exposure to the public, and less likely to have access to healthcare and the necessary money to mitigate public health crises.

This is terrible news. If republicans find out about this they’ll do even less to help slow the pandemic.

I know Detroit is getting hit hard. Not to sound like a dick, but it's not really surprising. From my experience with Detroit they are not the best at following instructions or rules that are set in place.

I’m waiting for everyone on skid row in California to die..
place is a nightmare for sure... I've lived here my whole life and it's just gotten worse and worse... flu ain't gonna stop these dregs

Black citizens are more likely to live in multigenerational households, more likely to live in densely populated areas, more likely to use public transit, more likely to work in jobs that have exposure to the public, and less likely to have access to healthcare and the necessary money to mitigate public health crises.

also things like obesity and diabetes are more common in the african american population of louisiana.

https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/states/la/
http://ldh.la.gov/assets/oph/chronic/diabetes/DiabetesFacts_LA_Final_2015.pdf

Here we go with the good ol boys and their comments .

"Hey plague, stop being racist. You should infect every race equally, okay?"

There's always a "You're a Racist" angle to every possible story.

You must turn a blind eye on some of these ignorant comments in this thread. let me guess, your Caucasian right?

I know Detroit is getting hit hard. Not to sound like a dick, but it's not really surprising. From my experience with Detroit they are not the best at following instructions or rules that are set in place.

Some rules shouldn't be followed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ore-black-people-die-major-cities/2961323001/

Alarming.
Some reasons were given:
- Poor blacks live in crowded urban areas, more contacts and less access to quality health. When you're sick, going to a hospital in a poor area is probably a nightmare.

- Poor blacks can't afford the quarantine lifestyle: have to go to work, have to work manual labor with physical proximity to people, for example, most bus drivers in Chicago are blacks. A lot of 'work from home people' are younger and educated using their laptops.

I'd imagine mundane stuff like warehouse shopping comes in to play: if you have money, you can load up for a few weeks at Costco or something. Poor people can't even go to Costco, have to buy food at higher costs and make more trips, more contacts. Poor people can't afford cars. Taking a bus is a scary prospect at this point, but how are you gonna eat?

- A lot more black people have existing health problems like diabetes

Some unique reasons were given (from another article):
- Black people are distrustful of the government. One guy said he didn't believe it until the economy started going south. He thought it was a government conspiracy (as in the AIDS epidemic?). Some even brought up the Tuskegee experiment.
- Black men are weary of wearing masks because people might think of them as criminals.

So what do you think? Is it a poor people problem or is it discrimination?

I think the biggest reason is distrust of governmental authority: the government said to stay inside, wash your hands, avoid contacts. ect.... Most white people obey them to the letters. Most black people don't, esp poor black people who had bad experience with the government.

Can you blame them? This government hasn't had the best relationship with them.

Back