More bad press for BT Sport (UK's home for UFC) after 100% price increase.

Agree with all of that. The time difference doesn't help with anyone trying to get into MMA either. My friends had interest in the Jones fight but when they found out it started at 4am they lost all interest. Same with me and boxing I guess, I'm a boxing fan but I'm a casual one, if AJ is fighting at Wembley I'm watching, if he's fighting Ruiz at 3am I'm not.

I have friends that are more into UFC than me! Though many friends only jump on the big fights, similar to boxing!

You hit the nail on the head regarding time difference.

Why should a casual boxing fan/mma fan expect to sit up until 4am and watch Joshua? Especially if it's ppv!

However, I believe the Joshua fight is likely to take place in Dubai now!

Just another reason for them to spend the money on fixing their hideous teeth, but those limeys will find a way to use it for more of their disgusting booze instead of making an effort not to look like they’ve been eating razors for afternoon tea

I'm so glad the OP made this thread. The more we keep BT Sports disgusting treatment of its British fans in the public eye the better. I know this is just a forum, but everyone knows Sherdog forums (in the MMA WORLD HAHA) Im sure BT sport won't appreciate this thread. Shame... Shame... Shame.... (god I feel like a tool using the GOTs reference, but it fits for them).

They are treading on thin ice considering no one gives a shit about MMA here and you have to be moronic to pay a penny these days when any half wit can get it for free on the internet anyway.

It blows my mind how much they charge for a PPV in the States, I would stream just out of spite and not even watch it.

My mate reckons that as well as no figures being mentioned for UFC 239 PPV in the UK, he read that around 20,000 people cancelled their monthly subscription to the channel at that time, too. Is that true?

It's always funny reading these threads. You are desperate to make a case that this is bad for business and will lead to cancellations. They've thought of that and expect you guys to overall bitch and whine a lot but not really cancel that often. So yea, you're unhappy, but they get paid more overall. You've had it pretty good for a while, so no need to bitch or whine about it.

Just to put this in perspective

Plusnet customers were paying £5 (a bargain )

Now they are paying £10 (still a bargain)

The champions league is decent, but it used to be free on ITV

I think the only reason BT Sport kept the UFC, is because they thought they could make a quick buck on major ppv's!

Only Conor appeals to the masses of casuals in the UK and to be honest, I doubt many would even pay to watch him either

Yeah, well when I had the call the guy was saying to me about the figures with the 50 down to 11 new subscribers drop they had since the UFC backlash and he did say that since they had UFC the way they did (before the Box Office) they were getting loads of new subscribers and doing really well but soon as they tried the Box Office trick within seconds of announcing it they were inundated with crazy backlash and cancellations, the UFC content is a big selling point for them even if it is a growing sport, because it was so accessible for people and of good value so people were investing in it but they underestimated the amount of people who would refuse and tell them where to go.

But you're absolutely right, they won't pay for that and they pay enough in subscriptions, not only that many felt mislead the way BT brought them back and promised them all UFC content would be on as normal and then they started doing this while saying "Oh you're in a contract" to stop them leaving but they persisted and the majority ended up leaving.

I think BT dropped the ball by going down the ppv route!

They probably have had very high figures viewing the UFC over the years and banked that half the subscribers would pay for the major fights.

As you say, unless it's a Conor fight, I can't see major numbers for any UFC ppv's!

Yep, you nailed it again, this is exactly it :)

They also saw it work in the US and thought they could do it here as they thought people would cave and buy in but they didn't, they also have the issue that the Box Office isn't distributed very well so there's a handful of platforms that don't even have it which they are taking the content from when they put on PPV (yet still charging for the exact same monthly price) that it's just wrong.

Agree with all of that. The time difference doesn't help with anyone trying to get into MMA either. My friends had interest in the Jones fight but when they found out it started at 4am they lost all interest. Same with me and boxing I guess, I'm a boxing fan but I'm a casual one, if AJ is fighting at Wembley I'm watching, if he's fighting Ruiz at 3am I'm not.

Absolutely, a few of my friends have really got into the UFC through me also and they talk about it and watch it more than boxing now (even though they're big fans of boxing), probably cause UFC is always exciting and has great fights where as Boxing it's every so many months they'll get a big fight and those fights don't always deliver (something they've said themselves) but you're absolutely right anyway.

I'm so glad the OP made this thread. The more we keep BT Sports disgusting treatment of its British fans in the public eye the better. I know this is just a forum, but everyone knows Sherdog forums (in the MMA WORLD HAHA) Im sure BT sport won't appreciate this thread. Shame... Shame... Shame.... (god I feel like a tool using the GOTs reference, but it fits for them).

You're welcome. I never thought of that but who knows who will read and see it, it's a shame to be honest because up until recently BT were doing a fantastic job with UFC and people loved them however they've done a 360 and people despise them now and they're still making it worse but I think it's a case of panic due to losing so much they're just getting deeper, such as this one with a 100% increase.

I feel sorry for Plusnet because even though they're their own company they are a part of BT and they're now getting the same backlash BT were getting (look on their TV forum) even though this is BT's doing because they're trying to make their money up. Plusnet don't have a choice as it's what BT are wanting so they can offer their customers the service at a budget price (something they give as a thank you for their other services), BT are making it difficult for them too.

In regards to people reading this thread well who knows but hopefully so, honestly I really hope Dana looks into going down the WWE Network route, it'll be the best thing for his fans worldwide, for him and for his product as they're stunting the growth in the UK already are BT Sport as I can see now people are losing interest in UFC and cancelling because of this where as they were enjoying it before and getting into it more but they've just switched all that.

It's stupid but BT are ruining the sport and it's a shame cause they were doing so well before and really helping it grow here big time.

In the Netherlands you get it with regular cable tv.

This is awesome and exactly how it should be, I hope it continues for you and that you don't have to deal with them trying any of this.

They're trying here in the UK now just but it's causing them problems and immense backlash, they're losing too much every time they do it so they're on thin ice and the US have had it for way too long, something I feel strong that should change for them because it's completely unfair for them and not right.

I sincerely hope it continues for you and they don't try this shit in the Netherlands cause it's just wrong.

Premium prices and PPV viewing should be for bars and public places only, not people who are already paying for a subscription in the comfort of their own home and expected to pay a premium fee on top for certain events.

They were doing perfectly fine before hand earning a lot of money so this whole idea is just greed to see how much extra they can rinse out of fans on top of their already paying subscriptions.

It's just taking advantage of the fans passion and loyalty to be honest.

My mate reckons that as well as no figures being mentioned for UFC 239 PPV in the UK, he read that around 20,000 people cancelled their monthly subscription to the channel at that time, too. Is that true?

I don't know the exact numbers but it was a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more but they absolutely lost a load.

I've had a few advisers at BT sigh when I've said to them "I bet you're getting a ton of calls about this aren't you and people upset etc.." and they've all said yeah, how it's constant (I always say to them don't worry I ain't gonna give them a hard time or shout at them as I know they have to deal with that a lot and it's not their fault) but the guy who called me for 50 minutes explained about it all at the time it they were getting them constantly by the minute and loads too ever since they announced it.

He also mentioned to me their targets aren't being met hence why they have to get customer feedback, about the drop in new subscribers, he himself said it should be part of the subscription package and something about how things in India are and it works so well for them there, you should also see the amount of money the main guy was earning before they brought the box office thing in, it's unreal so the box office was just to push this and try get more, it's just greed but it backfired on them and they've lost so much.

Even if PPV buys do alright it's not good for them in the long run because they lose so much every time they do this and those cancellations very rarely come back where as before they were gaining so much simply because of their UFC content which is why I say it's damaging the UFC and damaging themselves in the long run too, it's stupid.

It's always funny reading these threads. You are desperate to make a case that this is bad for business and will lead to cancellations. They've thought of that and expect you guys to overall bitch and whine a lot but not really cancel that often. So yea, you're unhappy, but they get paid more overall. You've had it pretty good for a while, so no need to bitch or whine about it.

Although they have had a load of cancellations and if you read through my post you would see about the phone call I had from them, one of them asking me for feedback for over 50 minutes because they lost a shit load of subscribers and it really hurt them.

You're also part of the problem because the more you say "It's ok" for this kind of thing this is the exact reason they do it however you are very wrong because their cancellations went through the roof as well as PPV refusals, something that I feel all should do because it's not fair how others have had this before (the US have had it way too long and it should stop for them also, big time).

I understand the sentiment of you've had it good for a while (I'd feel the same) but what you have to realise is just because we haven't had it previously doesn't mean that we should take it and accept it now simply because others have, it also doesn't excuse the fact these TV companies do this, none of us should have it at all.

But no, they don't get paid more overall, not in the long run and not in the UK either which is why they barely put any on PPV at the moment because they know they can't and they lose so much every time they do.

I dont think I'm getting ripped off to be honest. Think it's pretty good Value. I don't see the point in the licence fee any more.

You have to pay for things to get the service, aren't you using the internet now and watch the UFC? They are both services that Cost money.

Everyone wants everything for free then moans when the service is shit.
I'm all for paying for the service but it's ridiculous when the company changes the rules midterm (cue the PPV on some cards now, literally the UFC on BT Sport was the only reason I've extended my contract with Virgin and I'm really pissed off they decided to do that with no warning)

Just to put this in perspective

Plusnet customers were paying £5 (a bargain )

Now they are paying £10 (still a bargain)

It is but that's not the point of the thread, it's BT putting a 100% price increase on this trying desperately to make their money back in all ways they can (see some of the other replies) :)

Also, a lot of those people aren't watching through a TV box, for some it's just an app so they're also really unhappy and facing loads of cancellations.

It's unfair on Plusnet to be honest because they are a good honest company who value themselves on customer service and customer value so when they do this it goes against them, it's their way of saying thank you for all the other services people have with them so they offer this on a budget price which it's slowly but surely losing it's value for people (there's a few on their forum already requesting their cancellations as well as of course the phone calls their getting from people who don't even go on the forum and they're expecting more).

Another thing too, no Box Office channel is even available for them and not everyone can use the alternatives either BT have for their Box Office on their TV, they also promised people who are contracted through this with the app it wouldn't change although they are letting people cancel easy are Plusnet if they want to which is good at least, it's just a mess really.

It really is BT just trying to find ways to make up the money they've lost over the cancellations and refusals from the last Box Office event and apparently they over spent on some football league too, this comment here explains it.

What a joke BT Sport is. I have broadband and Sky Sports. For Sky I get 139 matches a year all the premium matches. BT Sport give us 23 matches and supposedly Champions League and Europa League, but in reality they give customers a quarter of these games, selected matches. Oh yes my Sky Sports include Cricket, Ruby, Formula 1 all in Ultra HD. When I did have BT Sport you could NOT WATCH THE GAMES IN MULTIROOM only the main box, whereas Sky is ALL BOXES, ALL ROOMS. Basically BT Sport cannot afford the cost of Premier Football and they are now trying to make money by doubling the cost. It wont be long until ALL suppliers are having the price doubled

I'm not fully clued up on the football situation as I don't follow it but apparently there's a mess there also with it.

I'm all for paying for the service but it's ridiculous when the company changes the rules midterm (cue the PPV on some cards now, literally the UFC on BT Sport was the only reason I've extended my contract with Virgin and I'm really pissed off they decided to do that with no warning)

Exactly this, I think it's fair to say the majority of people are happy to buy for and pay for a service but there's a difference between doing this and blatantly being rinsed then when that backfires because customers refuse this they're looking at their customers (again) to make up their loss.

This is exactly what BT are doing right now.

Fuck these stupid pricks

Glad they got the champions league though
I could never leave them for that alone

Cable w/ ESPN $150. ESPN+ $5. PPV $59.99... America, land of the free.... :)
Plus Fight Pass plus they're going back to FX stations.

The "It's only $5" morons are to blame. Consumers control this, stop paying.

I'm not fully clued up on the football situation as I don't follow it but apparently there's a mess there also with it.

BT Sport give us 23 matches and supposedly Champions League and Europa League, but in reality they give customers a quarter of these games, selected matches.

nah, thats not true, every single CL league game is on bt you just have to push red buttons or go to btsport extra

One thing BT have got 100% right is the champions league and europa league coverage. its 10x better than it ever was on sky

Of course, as a liverpool fan, everything champions league related is pretty fucking rosy to me :D :D

Well atleast it seems they are scraping PPV after their 239 experiment.

241 isn't PPV this weekend.

This is more reason why Dana needs to take the UFC distribution into his own hands the same way the WWE Network did and deal direct with the consumer (us) by cutting out the greedy middle men in between and having all profit to himself (as he deserves).

Yeah, because Dana has nothing to do with the “greedy businessmen” and he is just a victim in all this and if it was up to him prices would be lower, right? That’s was you are trying to say?

The guy who had snow in his Las Vegas driveway while his fighters are broke and retire with brain damage, no pension and no money will slash prices if given the opportunity rather than gouge consumers... that’s your hypothesis?

How did that work with the streaming PPVs on ESPN+ again? Funny because as I recall “cutting out the greedy middle men” resulted in the same ridiculous price($69.99) PLUS a monthly fee.

I agree that a change should be made, but if you are counting on Dana to be your savior you may have disappointment in your future.

I only watch normal TV for the UFC, that costs me £55 a month (about to go up to £59). Now BT sport are charging £20 extra for big cards. Im so close to saying bollocks to the lot of it and going down the dark route. Saving myself £79 every month sounds like a no brainer, especially seeing as BT sport don't give a shit about us fans.

Thats Fucking illegal!! Hope you are aware you can go to jail, get prosecuted and be someone's bitch in prison. FYI

Blockbuster was saying stuff like this before it went away.

Back