Moral dilemma

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
My first competition in BJJ is coming up in a couple of days and I've registered for the -75kg weight division (165lbs). I'm at 173 lbs at the moment.

My istructor spoke to me yesterday and I've been presented with two problems. One, there aren't going to be any weigh-ins. Too many competitors and they're trying to get the whole competition finished in a single day. Two, because the weight class I've registered for is stacked and I'm one of the bigger 165 lbs competitors, I might be asked to fight at the -85kg division [190 lbs (ironically my initial weight when I started BJJ)].

I'm being faced with a moral dilemma. If I'm put in the 165 lbs division and I don't lose any more weight, I'll be seven pounds over (although, that would have been the weight i'd be competing at). I'm thinking to cut the weight, as if there were weigh-ins, just to be a good sport, but I'm reluctant to put my body through that if they might throw me in the weight division higher. Note that I've been dieting and exercising for about a month and have gone from 190 lbs to 173 lbs, so I'm pretty beat.

What do you think? Has any competition you've participated in done something similar to this (no weigh-ins, put you in a higher weight class for lack of competitors)?

Thanks.

Edit:-

I requested to compete at the higher weight class, but I was told that that's no longer an option. No changes are permitted, now. Them putting me in the higher weight class would be considered a "last minute thing".

Last edited:
Well, you could just carbo-load and bulk up, add some energy and do your best at the higher weight.

I would say if you're exhausted and you don't wanna cut, just eat well, and add some weight... do your best.

Don't fucking lie about your weight.

Well, you could just carbo-load and bulk up, add some energy and do your best at the higher weight.

I would say if you're exhausted and you don't wanna cut, just eat well, and add some weight... do your best.

Don't fucking lie about your weight.

I would never lie about my weight. Initially, the weigh-ins were supposed to be the day before and I had planned to cut and make weight for the weigh-ins. Now there are no weigh-ins (and I did say, that I was thinking of cutting the weight anyway).

I've also asked to do that (compete at the higher weight) and "I can't". Although there is almost nothing organized, or professional about this competition, it seems the one thing they took seriously was the initial registering for the competition [and weight class]. They gave competitors one week to change the weight class they wanted and now that option is no more. Them throwing me a weight class higher would be considered a last minute thing.

Get as close to 165 as possible and compete.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they are not actually going to weigh anyone, then you won't be the only one over the actual weight limit. Do they realize that if they buy a couple of scales it won't take very long to actually weight the competitors?

I would be weary of any comp that wouldn't weigh its competitors.

What kind of ghetto tournament doesn't weigh people?

Yeah I'm curious to, What tournament doesnt weigh the competiters?

I would never lie about my weight ... unless he was real cute.

Never heard of a jiu jitsu tournament without weigh-ins. Even small open houses I've seen get a scale. Where are you competing? And good luck with the weight cut; 7-8 pounds is nothing if you've got more than like 2 days.

if they're so unorganized that they're not going to be weighing anybody before the competition starts then I doubt you'll be the only one weighing more 165.

Also, you tried to register in the higher weight class but they won't allow you. You tried your best. Go for it

That's really odd they aren't doing weigh-ins because im sure there will be plenty of people then that will be well over that weight so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back