"Monster" Hurricane Florene looms

40 inches of rain.

I’d rather have 12” of snow

went to OC every Summer for about 20 years. Love it. Hope your condo lasts for eternity.
I was there this weekend and a huge rain cloud rolled off the ocean and I got caught in a down pour. Had to walk through knee deep water to get back

"To put 83 feet into perspective, that's almost as tall as the lower Skyline Deck on the Space Needle (100 feet), or about double the size of a telephone pole (or the height of 12 Michael Jordans!)"

83 feet, lol. Like we're talking about the size of a star or the distance to the moon....
I have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

The El Faro sunk with 20-40 seas

I remember reading The Perfect Storm years ago where it said the PJ’s that jumped from the helicopters had to time their jumps so that they would land on top of the swell (only like a twenty foot jump). If they mistimed it they would fall 80 feet or so to the trough of the wave. The power of the ocean is crazy to think about.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Faro

This was not that long ago

I have no idea what point you’re trying to make.

The El Faro sunk with 20-40 seas

I'm laughing at the way the author of the article thinks they have to equate 83 feet with telephone poles or Michael Jordans in order for us to have an idea of how high it is. It's not some unimaginable distance.

"To put 83 feet into perspective, that's almost as tall as the lower Skyline Deck on the Space Needle (100 feet), or about double the size of a telephone pole (or the height of 12 Michael Jordans!)"

83 feet, lol. Like we're talking about the size of a star or the distance to the moon....
To put 83 feet into perspective.

giphy.webp

I'm laughing at the way the author of the article thinks they have to equate 83 feet with telephone poles or Michael Jordans in order for us to have an idea of how high it is. It's not some unimaginable distance.
My bad

Got to admit, the timing of this Hurricane couldn't have come at a better time for Trump.

If he handles this emergency PROPERLY, it would go a long way not just in regards to the November elections but 2020 as well. At least that's my take on it.
Even if he fcuks up, he will lie and claim otherwise and the rightwing base will support him and never accept he screwed up.

I predict the hurricane will drastically downgrade and the expected biblical level disaster was just sensationalist.

It's now gone down to a Category 2, so the wind damage won't be as bad as first thought, but the rain and storm surge will be nasty. It's a slow-moving hurricane, so it will linger and cause bad flooding regardless of the wind speeds.

It's now gone down to a Category 2, so the wind damage won't be as bad as first thought, but the rain and storm surge will be nasty. It's a slow-moving hurricane, so it will linger and cause bad flooding regardless of the wind speeds.
Next post

Well at least now we know that if it does go poorly the president will just say it didn't occur.

I predict the hurricane will drastically downgrade and the expected biblical level disaster was just sensationalist.
It's crazy how these storms get sensationalized. I understand giving the public adequate warning and response/prep time, but two days in to this storm hitting the news I read an article saying we needed a new "category 6" rating because "climate change". Is everything politicized for clicks, or is the battle for clicks prompting the politicizing?

It's crazy how these storms get sensationalized. I understand giving the public adequate warning and response/prep time, but two days in to this storm hitting the news I read an article saying we needed a new "category 6" rating because "climate change". Is everything politicized for clicks, or is the battle for clicks prompting the politicizing?

I didn't see that at all for this one, it never got outside the norm for a cat 5 (wind speeds above 157mph) but that one last year I forget the name had record wind speeds of 175 over the open ocean which was bigger than the cat 4 to cat 5 jump so people were calling it 6* mainly to hype and sell clicks but I understood it then

It's pretty typical to have a drastic lessening of winds to more around 80-100 by the time it makes landfall. But the wind speed (and therefore category) of the hurricane out in the ocean adds to its overall size and radius and storm surge effect. Bigger it is to begin with, bigger the winds are when it does make landfall as well too. Extremely, extremely rare to still be a cat 5 or 4 when land is made

Biggest risk I'm seeing with this one is that it is going so damn slow, it's just gonna dump rain. Remember Houston flooding because the fucking hurricane decided to stop? It's looking like that

Last edited:
Back