Monson Choke escape ...?

FELLA

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MjgR0lU_UgA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MjgR0lU_UgA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

How would you get out of this position?

I was stuck in this the other day (actually the version with no arm in). The guy couldn't finish the choke on me (prob bad technique) but I couldn't escape the position not matter how much I bridged and tried to roll ...

thanks for any advice.

Frame against his throat with your forearm to create space. Ideally, though, you should escape bottom North-South before he has a chance to apply the choke.

Why would anyone that is using the position in the application of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu techniques possibly call it "69 position"?

I was showing a new girl in class the positions of Jiu-Jitsu the other day and when I went there and said "This is north/south position", she snickered a little. If I would've called it "69" position, she probably would've full out laughed and then thought I was kidding. The 69 is a sexual reference. So why would anyone call that position "69"?

On topic; nice choke. I've never used that before and certainly look forward to trying it.

This and it's variants are tough choke to perfect (the hardest imo), but it is very powerful and very available. Some day, the world will fear my N/S choke, but until then, forearms in my throat, trying to reach over my head and hook my chin, and in particular, just blocking/controlling the underhook arm (the left arm in that video) to buy time to create a little space is what gives me the most trouble.

The easiest defense is to turn into him and turtle as he tries to put it on. just be careful because if you're not he'll just slap it in deeper under the other arm during your transition.

^ if you turtle, be wary of the brabos and anacondas....

once i'm in the choke.. i'd tap

^ if you turtle, be wary of the brabos and anacondas....

They're easier to avoid then the monson on the other side during the beginning of the transition. that's really what you have to watch for the most, but yes, guillotines, darce, etc are all an option for your opponent whenever you turtle up.

One of my old training partners used this choke an arm-triangles only, and he was black belt level with them, so I got very good at defending them over time and since I have not been caught by either by anyone. For the monson choke the only defense I found reliable against a high-level opponent was the one I posted. others just seemed to buy a bit of time.

But with either arm wrapped already (but before the N/S choke is locked up), if you start to turtle, you are actually tightening up a brabo or anaconda on yourself (depending on which way you roll and which arm - underhook or head - is secured already). If you try to turn into the underhook arm, I give you the space, keep my arm in with my hand on your shoulder blade, and lock up an anaconda as you come to your knees. If you turn into the arm hooked around your head, I give you a little space, and lock up a brabo as you come to your knees. In my experience, the most effective escape (other than being fortunate enough to reach over the top guy's head and hooking the chin) is simply blocking and slowly scooting until there is too much space and the top guy is forced to abandon the attempt. To each their own, though.

But with either arm wrapped already (but before the N/S choke is locked up), if you start to turtle, you are actually tightening up a brabo or anaconda on yourself (depending on which way you roll and which arm - underhook or head - is secured already). If you try to turn into the underhook arm, I give you the space, keep my arm in with my hand on your shoulder blade, and lock up an anaconda as you come to your knees. If you turn into the arm hooked around your head, I give you a little space, and lock up a brabo as you come to your knees. In my experience, the most effective escape (other than being fortunate enough to reach over the top guy's head and hooking the chin) is simply blocking and slowly scooting until there is too much space and the top guy is forced to abandon the attempt. To each their own, though.

That sounds like it could work in most cases, but I was outweighed, and he was a master level wrestler so I couldn't make space like that for anything.

Yea, I'm a wrestler who has been working on this choke for a while (wrestlers love the N/S - it's jsut like fishing for a half nelson). I still have trouble finishing it though, so I've been trying to work it as a crafty set up for the brabos and anacaondas in the mean time. Even in wrestling, instead of always trying to 'impose my will' completely on my opponent, from top I often liked to use the approach of 'leave only one door open, and be waiting for them when they walk through it.' In other words, I leave them with only one place to move, make that movement look tempting, and let them set up my attack for me. To that end, I will throw up part of the N/S choke, then take some weight off and try to guide the bottom man into the turtle and choke of my choosing (again, anaconda if they go to the underhook, brabo if they go to the head hook). It's a new game for me so I'm still not sure how it's going to play out (I haven't really been taught it either, so I don't have too much guidance), but I think it's pretty slick and expect to catch a lot of people off guard with it some day soon.

Back