Monsanto, at it again............

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by VivaRevolution, Feb 29, 2016.

1. VivaRevolution

VivaRevolution Whoopin' Belt Platinum Member

Monsanto Given Legal Shield in a Chemical Safety Bill
    By ERIC LIPTONFEB. 29, 2016

WASHINGTON — Facing hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits, the giant biotechnology company Monsanto last year received a legislative gift from the House of Representatives, a one-paragraph addition to a sweeping chemical safety bill that could help shield it from legal liability for a toxic chemical only it made.

Monsanto insists it did not ask for the addition. House aides deny it is a gift at all. But the provision would benefit the only manufacturer in the United States of now-banned polychlorinated biphenyls, chemicals known as PCBs, a mainstay of Monsanto sales for decades. The PCB provision is one of several sticking points that negotiators must finesse before Congress can pass a law to revamp the way thousands of chemicals are regulated in the United States.

“Call me a dreamer, but I wish for a Congress that would help cities with their homeless crises instead of protecting multinational corporations that poison our environment,” said Pete Holmes, the city attorney for Seattle, one of six cities suing Monsanto to help cover the costs of reducing PCB discharge from their sewers.

The House and the Senate last year both passed versions of legislation to replace the 40-year-old Toxic Substances Control Act, a law that the Environmental Protection Agency acknowledged had become so unworkable that as many as 1,000 hazardous chemicals still on sale today needed to be evaluated to see if they should be banned or restricted.

Some of the most vociferous objections relate to the so-called Monsanto Clause. The provision does not mention the company by name, but between the early 1930s and 1977, Monsanto manufactured almost all of the 1.25 billion pounds of PCBs sold in the United States.

The chemicals were initially admired for their ability to prevent fires and explosions in electrical transformers and other equipment. But as the use of PCBs skyrocketed nationwide in products as varied as paints, pesticides and even carbonless copy paper, evidence mounted that they were contaminating the environment and potentially causing health problems including cancer and immune-system complications. The E.P.A. banned their production in 1979.

PCB litigation has surged in the last year as cities and school systems struggle to comply with directives from federal and state regulators to reduce PCB levels in sewer discharge and in caulk once used to construct schools. Separately, a group of individuals who received diagnoses of a form of cancer known as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma sued Monsanto last year, claiming the company should pay damages.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/b...benefit-from-a-chemical-safety-bill.html?_r=1

Just depressing......Viva Political revolution!!

Ninja likes this.
  2. jk7707

jk7707 Black Belt

Of course Monsanto didn't ask for the addition. It was the legions of lobbyists paid by them that did.

panamaican, Aegon Spengler and Ninja like this.
  3. Ninja

Ninja The Bible is Truth, Find Truth... Double Yellow Card

Hallelujah likes this.
  4. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

5. Hallelujah

Hallelujah Guest

So Bernie has been in office for like 30 years right? What has he done to reign in Monsanto in that time? Fun fact Monsanto made the famous Agent Orange used in Vietnam which still maims people to this day.

6. VivaRevolution

I'm glad you asked, but I need to post from a computer to answer in full. In short, he has an impeccable voting record going back to 1994 opposing factory farming, and big agriculture.

To be continued............

7. Burning Hammer

Burning Hammer Banned Banned

I absolutely love Bernie for that precedent. However, he is not going to change anything within the realm of presidency. Get the lobbyists out first. If all Bernie does is get lobbyists out of politics and nothing else if he's to win the presidency I will be the first to say he's arguably the greatest president of our generation. I'm an oldschool republican too.

8. VivaRevolution

It would most likely need to be done at a constitutional convention, which is where I think a political revolution logically will lead to.

I think campaign finance and lobbying need to be tied together for a constitutional amendment

Maybe there is a route for campaign finance and the supreme court, at which point I would agree lobbying should be the top priority.

9. Burning Hammer

Burning Hammer Banned Banned

The primary issue is that while protected constitutionally, lobbying is essentially corruption and at this point and bribery. These are not accepted at a constitutional level. If we ensure companies aren't considered individuals then the repercussions would directly affect a corporation at large, and the punishment wouldn't be moved on to the consumer and then there would be less money flowing into the political game.

10. VivaRevolution

Here is my idea to fix lobbying.....force all lobbying onto the public record, with a website that all government representatives being lobbied, have to post a video recording of the entire interaction.

The idea here being that you have a right to lobby congress, but not to do it in private, with a public official.

Fund a special division in the FBI with a legal mandate to run sting operations to ensure enforcement.

I think this could actually be done by simple legislation. Supreme Court would have the final say I guess.

I am also 100% on board with turning back corporate personhood, just not sure how to do that. I agree if this was done that it would remove much of the negative impact and need for campaign finance reform.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  11. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Nice website you got there.

12. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Titanium Belt

These companies are Doing a real number on the country and Its citizens.

It's like the fracking companies. How many articles have been written on what they're doing to California water.

Monsanto is just as bad.

13. KONG-D'SNT-TAP

KONG-D'SNT-TAP Titanium Belt

Technically that was a different company.

14. FeloniousMonk

FeloniousMonk Red Belt

There will never be a revolution
    in this country. A congress who
    helps homeless?

Yeah... Dudes a fucking dreamer...