Money May/Cotto 2 imminent

May vs. Cotto would be the two smallest guys to fight for the MW title since i can't remember. Hagler vs. Duran would be the last one that comes to mind (30+ years ago).

That's a shame. If Pac/Mayweather is going to fall through, though, let's not pretend that Cotto/Mayweather 2 is a terrible fight.

Getting Cotto vs Mayweather II instead of Pacquiao vs Mayweather is like waiting for a succulent steak and getting a reheated, dry piece of roast instead. Forced leftovers...a giant disappointment and a letdown (even if roast can be awesome, let's not pretend the disappointment won't be sitting there at ringside at that rematch).

Edit: I'm sure I got lost in my own simile there at some point, but it's still a valid comparison.

I knew it right when the Canelo cotto fight got canceled, we all might be in trouble. Cotto is a great fighter and warrior but no one wants to see this fight. Floyd will win and claim another title saying he's the best of all time. Smdh only person who can save this fight is Floyd. If he says, yes he'll fight Manny, it gets done. Showtime will make it work with Hbo.

But with making this fight. They don't need HBO and it's less chance for loss for Floyd.

I don't buy it.

This is Rafael we're talking about here. Now, I don't buy Seano's "Rafael is on the HBO payroll" conspiracy theory, but the man has his clear favorites, and Manny's one of them. I take what Rafael says seriously, but not on matters regarding Floyd and Pac. My guess is that Rafael's trying to get the buzz going that Floyd wants to fight Cotto again so that he can paint Floyd out as a duck.

My 2 cents anyhow.

I knew it right when the Canelo cotto fight got canceled, we all might be in trouble. Cotto is a great fighter and warrior but no one wants to see this fight. Floyd will win and claim another title saying he's the best of all time. Smdh only person who can save this fight is Floyd. If he says, yes he'll fight Manny, it gets done. Showtime will make it work with Hbo.

But with making this fight. They don't need HBO and it's less chance for loss for Floyd.

Why? Did you do something illegal?

it's a good fight otherwise though, even if it does happen. Obviously it isn't Pac/PBF, but it's a good fight.

the only thing I worry here is that we will lose the lineal MW title if Floyd retires.

leaves canelo out in the cold. his too big for pac I'd have thought and couldnt make the catch weight pac would put to him.

Getting Cotto vs Mayweather II instead of Pacquiao vs Mayweather is like waiting for a succulent steak and getting a reheated, dry piece of roast instead. Forced leftovers...a giant disappointment and a letdown (even if roast can be awesome, let's not pretend the disappointment won't be sitting there at ringside at that rematch).

Edit: I'm sure I got lost in my own simile there at some point, but it's still a valid comparison.

Yes, it would be a shame and a considerable let down (although, if it's only Rafael reporting it, I won't give up hope completely). That doesn't make Cotto/Mayweather 2 a shitty fight, though. Surely we're not going to give up on boxing as a whole because we're upset a single fight fell through?

my guess is that Cotto takes a relatively easy fight, is Lemieux possible? Maybe tries unifying with Andy Lee or something or tries snatching the WBA regular from Daniel Jacobs.

Pac/May goes through.

Canelo probably faces Kirkland.

it's a good fight otherwise though, even if it does happen. Obviously it isn't Pac/PBF, but it's a good fight.

the only thing I worry here is that we will lose the lineal MW title if Floyd retires.

I thought the first Floyd/Cotto fight was entertaining enough but if Floyd had to fight anyone else other than Pac, I would have preferred it to be Khan over Cotto, at least it's something new and not another re-match.

Surely we're not going to give up on boxing as a whole because we're upset a single fight fell through?

I won't but a lot of people will proclaim to and some people actually will. It's not exactly your typical "single fight"

Yes, it would be a shame and a considerable let down (although, if it's only Rafael reporting it, I won't give up hope completely). That doesn't make Cotto/Mayweather 2 a shitty fight, though. Surely we're not going to give up on boxing as a whole because we're upset a single fight fell through?

I'd eat the roast, but I wouldn't like it as much.

I won't but a lot of people will proclaim to and some people actually will. It's not exactly your typical "single fight"

I'm fairly certain that "a lot of people" won't give up on boxing and instead contend that "a lot of people" will still tune in for big name fighters and fights in the future.

I'm fairly certain that "a lot of people" won't give up on boxing and instead contend that "a lot of people" will still tune in for big name fighters and fights in the future.

Which is why I said a lot of people will "proclaim to" give up on boxing (out of frustration and dissapointment) but will actually still tune for big name fighters and fights. But some people actually may. May/Pac not happening just sucks all around

Which is why I said a lot of people will "proclaim to" give up on boxing (out of frustration and dissapointment) but will actually still tune for big name fighters and fights. But some people actually may. May/Pac not happening just sucks all around

Mayweather/Pacquiao never happened because neither party truly wanted it enough four or five years ago. I'm perplexed and bemused that people still rage about it or think it not happening in 2015 matters - it doesn't. It won't have a detrimental effect on boxing. If anything in future star fighters won't draw one million PPV buys based on their name alone, and will have to take on the fights fans want to see in order to bring those sort of numbers in.

That's not to say you are in a rage. That's just a generalization.

I thought the first Floyd/Cotto fight was entertaining enough but if Floyd had to fight anyone else other than Pac, I would have preferred it to be Khan over Cotto, at least it's something new and not another re-match.

yeah, agreed. I'd like to see Khan or Garcia give him a go. Maybe Thurman if he can beat Guerrero + somebody else (although I'm not that high on Thurman and frankly think his hype train is being run on limited coal).

Back