Moms Demand Action (Anti Gun commercial)

Byron Carter

Purveyor of Wisdom
Banned
Reaction score

This is a few months old, but figured it's worth sharing..

Personally, I think the best solution to prevent situations like Sandy Hook is to put an armed police officer in every school in America. No amount of gun laws or gun buybacks will ever stop psychotic people from doing psychotic things.

Walmart, Home Depot, JC Penny, and other stores employ off-duty plain-clothes police officers to protect their profits.

Banks employ ARMED security, sometimes armed with ballistic vests and rifles.

Aren't children our most precious resource? Why not give them the same protection we give power tools, video game consoles, or overpriced clothing?

I cant see how anyone would be against having police carrying at schools. Its the issue of teachers carrying that causes the rabble rabble.

I cant see how anyone would be against having police carrying at schools. Its the issue of teachers carrying that causes the rabble rabble.

Many schools in America are "Gun Free Zones", with no resource officers.

People feel that kids are scared by seeing guns, even on police officers.

There are also arguments that it is too expensive.

Ft. Hood has had a couple of shootings and there are armed folks at every gate (or there were the last time I was on a base) and shooters have still found a way.

People determined to do harm will find a way . . .

Ft. Hood has had a couple of shootings and there are armed folks at every gate (or there were the last time I was on a base) and shooters have still found a way.

People determined to do harm will find a way . . .

Ft. Hood is a massive base, stationed by men and women that are not allowed to leave their post. Military Police are allowed to carry on base, but once again - a huge base with a shooter that was able to blend in between his killing sprees.

Putting a police officer in every school in America would give a deterrent, and at least give our children a fighting chance.

Personally, I think the best solution to prevent situations like Sandy Hook is to put an armed police officer in every school in America. No amount of gun laws or gun buybacks will ever stop psychotic people from doing psychotic things.

Walmart, Home Depot, JC Penny, and other stores employ off-duty plain-clothes police officers to protect their profits.

Aren't children our most precious resource? Why not give them the same protection we give power tools, video game consoles, or overpriced clothing?

Something in the tone of that Commercial reminded me of this one

1370273387_steven-seagal-467.jpg

If they can't prevent drugs and weapons from getting inside prisons, which are designed to filter these items out, then you cannot prevent mass shootings. I'm talking in general. You can get lucky every once in awhile and LE would stop a madman before he goes on a shooting/bombing/stabbing rampage, but the task is impossible.

If they can't prevent drugs and weapons from getting inside prisons, which are designed to filter these items out, then you cannot prevent mass shootings. I'm talking in general. You can get lucky every once in awhile and LE would stop a madman before he goes on a shooting/bombing/stabbing rampage, but the task is impossible.

So let's throw our hands up and not even try?

By your logic, shouldn't preventing bank robberies be impossible too? Why do we put armed security in banks?

Here's a great fucking idea, stop sending kids to schools that haven't changed their teaching structure in almost 100 years which amass students all together on a piece of property that's only protected by a fence which is reigned over by a squid-like administration wasting tax-payer dollars.

Gun free zones are the perfect place for a lunatic to demonstrate his psychoses in the most horrific ways. Fuck the lunatics, fuck the outdated school system meant to mold us into the perfect ask-no-questions capitalist workers, and fuck the people who want to make America an entire 'no gun free zone' from east to west because they never understood the concept of logic through our shitty public education system which thrives off of tedious packets and assimilative learning.

Something like 1/3 of schools in the nation already have armed guards, and many even have metal detectors. It hasn't stopped violence (and I'm speaking to the issue of gun violence in general, not just mass shootings). Those who advocate this proposed solution point to Araphoe and the armed guard who ended the spree early, but then ignore that an armed guard was killed at Virginia Tech. We spent nearly a billion dollars after Columbine on increasing the presence of police. LA County, in particular, has a virtual private army. Neither the frequency or severity of mass shootings have slowed, nor has the overall rate of violence in schools diminished (another specific example: Taft High School).

How come it works in Australia?

Something like 1/3 of schools in the nation already have armed guards, and many even have metal detectors. It hasn't stopped violence (and I'm speaking to the issue of gun violence in general, not just mass shootings). Those who advocate this proposed solution point to Araphoe and the armed guard who ended the spree early, but then ignore that an armed guard was killed at Virginia Tech. We spent nearly a billion dollars after Columbine on increasing the presence of police. LA County, in particular, has a virtual private army. Neither the frequency or severity of mass shootings have slowed, nor has the overall rate of violence in schools diminished (another specific example: Taft High School).

This is such a ridiculous non-sequitur.

No one is talking about reducing the overall level of violence in schools. I'm starting to question if you're being intentionally deceptive.

We're talking about preventing mass-shootings, which have occurred primarily in gun-free zones.

Furthermore, I believe you are mixing events. In 2011, a police officer was murdered at VT. In 2007, there were no armed guards on campus. It was a gun-free zone.

Please, provide evidence that an armed guard was killed in the 2007 mass shooting (once again, the point of this discussion), if any exists. I'm not saying one wasn't, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Wow that is messed up living in America sounds like a giant prison.

How come it works in Australia?

1) Different culture

2) When Australia banned guns, their homicide rate did decline, but ours declined at about the same rate without any gun bans.

3) In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% in homicides and a one-third decrease in armed robbery since the 1990s(gun ban), but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults.

It doesn't "work" in Australia. I'm pretty sure their government has already admitted that it had a very minimal effect.

You shouldn't spend 100's of millions to save the lives of few. A teach or principal with access to a gun would be just as effective as a leo in each school.

I can only imagine the leos that would be assigned to guarding schools. It would be the fattest most useless cops who were half retired and half in the grave.

Gun free zones are the perfect place for a lunatic to demonstrate his psychoses in the most horrific ways.

The right-wing answer to violent lunatics and psychos - "more guns!".

As opposed, of course, to better mental health policy and treatment.

Guns: Never the problem. Always the solution. :rolleyes:

The right-wing answer to violent lunatics and psychos - "more guns!".

As opposed, of course, to better mental health policy and treatment.

Guns: Never the problem. Always the solution. :rolleyes:

Actually, a lot of pro gun guys will advocate better treatment for mental health problems. What we think is retarded is blaming law abiding citizens for the acts of criminals.

After a car accident, nobody blames responsible drivers, because that would be retarded. But when someone misuses a gun, legal gun owners get blamed. Makes sense.

High Schools should have an armed police officer present. His job is a lot more than just waiting for a mass shooting though, he's investigating all kinds of criminal activity that takes place in high schools...drugs, theft, assault, etc. These guys have plenty to do, with an added benefit being maybe they could lessen the death toll if a shooter comes in.

For an elementary...I have kids in elementary school. If you asked me should the district spend 100K a year on a police officer for the school, or more computers or a new science lab, etc....I'll go with that stuff all day. It's simply not that big of a threat. Newtown happened, and that sucks ass and I couldn't imagine if it was my kids, but that doesn't mean it's likely enough to happen at any other school that we should obsess over trying to prevent it.

High Schools should have an armed police officer present. His job is a lot more than just waiting for a mass shooting though, he's investigating all kinds of criminal activity that takes place in high schools...drugs, theft, assault, etc. These guys have plenty to do, with an added benefit being maybe they could lessen the death toll if a shooter comes in.

For an elementary...I have kids in elementary school. If you asked me should the district spend 100K a year on a police officer for the school, or more computers or a new science lab, etc....I'll go with that stuff all day. It's simply not that big of a threat. Newtown happened, and that sucks ass and I couldn't imagine if it was my kids, but that doesn't mean it's likely enough to happen at any other school that we should obsess over trying to prevent it.

But new bullshit gun laws are necessary because...?

Back