1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Molluscum, how do you guys deal w/ it w/out any stress?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MMouse, Aug 28, 2010.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

Well I don't do bjj but muay thai, and I've been working on clinching and unfortunately I've just caught molluscum around my shoulder neck chest area, so I thought I asks you guys since it may be common with grapplers.

Just went to the doc, suggest I go there couples a week to freeze it.

My question to you guys is, how can I work around it at the meantime without letting it interfere w/ my daily life? I obviously won't clinch or grapple with anyone but...

Does this mean I can't sweat? Do I have to wash my towels everytime I use it? Once shirt is removed, can't put it back on ect?

Would greatly appreciate anyhelp.

2. suzuki51

suzuki51 White Belt

I got mine burned off the doctor, then I was good to go. But for now just cover with some wrap or band aids.

3. Quoth

Quoth Something Catchy..

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

seriously though these are questions for your doctor.... not sherdog's random "experts"

4. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

As a computer technician, my medical advice is that you take a bath in acetone to kill any bad ickies on your skin. Let me know how that works out!

5. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

as resident microbiologist/future medical professional, i'll bite.

here's what's up:

if it doesn't get worse, doesn't bleed, and you don't itch it, you should be fine.

the virus is gone once the lesions are gone, it doesn't hang out in your nerves like a herpesvirus. it's actually in this little white gnarly core that you'd see if you busted open the lesion, but don't do that. that'll make more of them.

the best thing to do is have the dermatologist freeze the fucker off, BUT, you could probably take care of it yourself if it's just a few tiny ones.

benzoyl peroxide can work, but you'll wanna get zapzit or one of the other OTC creams at 10%.

you can get the dr. scholls wart freezer and go to town on it as well. that'll do the job for sure.

your clothes and bedding will be okay, providing you aren't oozing on them or anything. i can't find any data on how long it lasts on surfaces, but it can't be longer than a day. still, if you take a shirt off and put it back on, or use the same towel twice within a few hours, you can definitely spread it to another part of your body.

your best bet is to use fresh towels, wear fresh clothes, wash your sheets twice a week, and maybe give your mattress a once-over with some Lysol.

also, go ahead and cover the lesions with a band-aid or something. this'll keep it from getting scratched at, and it'll keep it from gooshing (that's a technical term) onto your clothes and whatnot. you still need to let your skin breathe, though, so i'd just go commando with it at night.

in summary: don't scratch, benzoyl peroxide, don't scratch band aids, hot water washing, fresh laundry, don't scratch and freeze the motherfuckers off.

6. waiguoren

waiguoren Silver Belt

Please do not take this as anything more than the experience of a fellow grappler who has no formal medical training.

I've done a lot of no gi grappling and molluscum is the only skin infection I've ever gotten.

It seems very picky about the site of infection--it only appears in small areas of my forearms. It has never to my knowledge spread elsewhere on my body.

I've had it burned multiple times, both by liquid nitrogen (thanks to my friend, a biology graduate student whose lab had a giant tank of the stuff) and also at the dermatologist's via a pretty painful electric pulse. It always comes back after I grapple.

During periods of little or no grappling it always goes into deep remission. What's more, it seems to start growing basically immediately after I start grappling after a long layoff. I always wear a long-sleeve rashguard, by the way.

So in my case I really think the spreading has more to do with the loss of epidermal layers that is inevitable during grappling rather than how frequently I wash my clothes or who I grapple with.

7. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

thanks brother. that really helped alot

yikes, have you got it check out?

8. LocalNmass

LocalNmass Blue Belt

I'd see a dermatologist for any skin that coworkers/family could see to have it frozen off with liquid nitrogen. The Dr scholls freeze off does work just as effectively but will leave a larger mark for a longer time compared to what a dermatologist can do.

I've also started showering after every training secession with tea tree oil soap, and haven't had any problems since I started doing that...

And honestly, it's a stressful thing, its basically genital warts, if you tell your GF/friends/family and they google molluscum, that's what will come up. At the same time you don't want to give it to anyone else.