Modifying my workout routine

poke, what are you weighing in at these day 165?

Seriously is there a legitimate reason that you act like a complete douchebag every chance you get on sherdog?

I’m starting to think you have some sort of personality or psychological disorder

Yea sure what needs cleaning up?

1. You need to get tighter before you unrack the bar. You just kind of step under it and away you go. It’s impossible to get your upper back any tighter after you unrack the bar, so you need to get it as tight as possible before you unrack. You should be literally wedging yourself under the bar. Throughout the set, you want to be pulling down on the bar and trying to bend it over your back. This engages your lats and stiffens your entire torso. It’s impossible to do if you haven’t nailed the previous steps, though.

This will help your overall execution of the lift and make the weights feel lighter. I can tell just by watching the video that your upper back isn’t tight enough.

Me:
Ed Coan:
Kirk Karwoski:
Malanichev:

John Haack, who squats high bar, is a good example of someone who does it quickly, but it’s still there.

John Haack:

2. Your walk out is pretty good, because you don’t take a lot of unnecessary steps. But, again, slow it down a bit and be more deliberate with things. You’re kind of already stepping backwards as you unrack the bar. It doesn’t have to be a long time, but unrack it, let it settle/get command of the weight, and then step back. It’ll help you maintain the upper back tightness you just worked hard to get in #1. I can tell exactly how a set is going to go by this point.

3. Slow. Things. Down. You’re still taking your breath in as you start the descent of each rep. You should take your huge breath in, brace, and THEN start the rep once everything is locked in. You can tell that your midsection is not nearly as tioght/locked in as it could be, and you can see it on the way up in each rep.

4. I keep going back and forth on your stance. Have you ever tried going slightly narrower? You’re not having too much trouble keeping your knees or anything, but I wonder if it would help you move the weight a little more efficiently.

Basically, cleaning up the little stuff would help a lot. The big theme tightness. You’re lacking it at every point of the set, but the good thing is that it’s an easy fix.

Seriously is there a legitimate reason that you act like a complete douchebag every chance you get on sherdog?

I’m starting to think you have some sort of personality or psychological disorder

I thought the way I typed that would make it pretty clear I was joking, but I guess not.

Relax, brah.

YEs ive tried narrow, wide and medium

I’m not a technique guru but I’ll give those tips a try.

YEs ive tried narrow, wide and medium

I’m not a technique guru but I’ll give those tips a try.

Bracing properly and having a tighter, more rigid torso will help fix the kind of two-motion thing you have going on right now. When you start coming up, your hips kind of shoot up and then your body does a bit of a good morning to catch up and finish the rep. That's inefficient movement and I think the cause of it could be/is your lack of tightness and bracing. The better you can hold your technique together at lighter weights, the more prepared you'll be for heavier weights.

If you look at the best lifters, they rarely (if ever) fail due to technical breakdowns/inefficiencies. It's generally just a matter of not having enough strength.

Last edited:
Back