Mobility, Injury Prevention, Joint Health Routines/Programs

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by XTrainer, Apr 12, 2008.

1. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I'm looking for a simple, effective, no bull approach to the above. There's are whole lot of options out there, what have you guys done and what do you recommend?

I just want to make sure I'm squatting, deadlifting, and grappling a few decades down the road.

Thanks for the help.

2. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

Some recommendations:

Take warming up seriously.

Wear knee sleeves.

Stretch post work out, if you don't have time do it later on in the day. (A good way to warm up before stretching when at home is simply to take a warm shower.)

Band traction.

While intensity is important, don't go crazy in order to hit PRs.

3. Donut62

Donut62 Black Belt

I do a dynamic upper/lower warm up that takes about 5 minutes before working out, and stretch HARD right after working out. On off days I do pre hab stuff like TKE's and external rotator work, scapular push ups, whatever. Knee sleeves are awesome IMO, and make a huge difference if used over a long period of time.

4. Donut62

Donut62 Black Belt

Not being a retard in the weight room, and not doing the "Ow that last one made my back feel funny but I'm going to add 50 pounds and do another" is a good thing as well. Of course, I do it anyways, and it probably takes hurting yourself and that experience to figure out where that point is for you.

5. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

Check your hamstring, quad, iliopsoas, and piriformis flexibility. A majority of men I see in the clinic have horrendous lower extremity flexibility. Years down the road, the load on your joints start to add up and translates to osteoarthritis.

6. physicaltherapy

Wait....I'm putting 2 and 2 together.....

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=765501

dude are you okay?

7. Kpro86

Kpro86 Guest

Yoga is the best thing to do to help joints and actually speed up recovery time, yoga is very underated

8. physicaltherapy

Yeah...

what I hate about yoga is that more men are getting into it. The best part about yoga is finding a spot in the back and checking out hot chicks.

9. stewy37

stewy37 Guest

10. Vedic

Vedic Purple Belt

Yoga can help. I don't care for Scott Sonnon at all but his "warrior wellness" dvd is great for the joints.

11. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

LoL, I'm fine. I've just been thinking lately about how much I would hate not being able to lift/grapple/move, and how I want to do everything in my power to avoid that.

12. Monger

Monger Chronically Injured

That is the biggest one in terms of time spent in the gym. Your warm-ups should include basic exercise to increase body temperature followed by mobility and dynamic stretching movements. You should feel very mobile while having a light sweat before even getting under the bar for warm up sets.

I probably warm up for ~15 mins doing various drills/movements before I even look at a barbell.

13. ciscokid1024

ciscokid1024 Purple Belt

Hi Donut,
    Can you outline what you do for your warm up? It usually takes me 15-20 minutes to warm up so if I could do it in 5 that would be great.

Also, to Donut or anyone, what is the benefit of wearing knee sleeves? I used to wear them, but I recently decided to lift with no support. No belt, no gloves, no knee sleeves, etc. I thought this would keep me from hurting my self because I would be able to feel if anything was weak as well as making me have to strengthen my weak areas or I could not lift heavier. But maybe that was misguided.

Is it beneficial to use supports or not for long term joint health?