Mo beat Mousasi in Strikeforce to become champ, same way Mo beat Rampage in Bellator

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by DouglasM, May 19, 2014.

1. DouglasM

DouglasM Blue Belt

he even looks the same after the fight

screw you Bellator Judges!

[YT]e-BpUdz4I0E[/YT]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Cyantist

Cyantist Red Belt

Yeah, errybody loves Mous so they say he won [which he did], but then say 'Page lost. Not feeling it.

3. dog y

dog y The original dog

Mo lost both times.

Go away Mo.

4. Velkar182

Velkar182 Brown Belt

Eh, that was a long time ago, and it might mean that judges are getting better. On top of that, I had it 3-2 for Mo against Mousasi, I think (if I remember correctly), because Mo at least threw some punches while Mousasi was on his back. I think Mo landed less than a dozen punches against Rampage on the ground. That was the difference, I feel, and I typically score takedowns highly, except for when damage is done.

Also, Bellator does not have its own judges.

5. yonski

yonski Brown Belt

Mo lost on Saturday night I hope he gets his rematch further on down the road tho

6. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Arguably Never Lost

Rampage defended more takedowns, when he was taken down he took zero damage and got up quickly.
    2-1 Rampage, easy.

7. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Scoring round by round, no one with any objectivity gives that fight to Mousasi.

8. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Mousasi spent far more time on his back than Rampage did.

9. Magnum1978

Magnum1978 Silver Belt

If I had my way, Mo was beaten both times. But with the Unified Rules & round by round judging, mousasi was beaten and rampage was probably a draw (or maybe just got the nod). Rampage was closer.

But this just points to the obvious - the Unified System/criteria is what's flawed. Judges can only do as well as this ridiculous system allows. Mo trying to exploit the system and the newer fans who know no better and have accepted/are brainwashed into this notion of 'fighting' defend this rubbish.

I don't blame Mo at all, he's gotta do what he can to 'win', the fault lies squarely on what kind of 'fighting' is rewarded/promoted by this system.

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Exactly, but unlike Mousasi, Rampage was able to keep the fight standing for most of the 2nd and 3rd round.

11. Phrozenspite

Phrozenspite Black Belt

i wouldn't blame the system so much as the judges and lack of overall consistency. for example, if this was a clay guida fight he probably would've won a UD by doing what king mo does. I'd be fine with them giving decisions like this one to rampage if they didn't give fights like torres vs mighty mouse to mighty mouse.

12. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I said after his fight with Moose that Moose won. I thought based on how he seemed to do almost nothing with the TDs after the first round that Page did a better job, was still surprised when the judgement was announced, was honestly expecting a draw.

13. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

Mo lost both fights... but the Rampage fight was close.

Moose was flat out robbed.

14. JayElectra

He won the second round narrowly by stunning Mo early and outstriking him (though, not by any massive margin). It was likely enough to override the grappling success and the small amount of striking success that Mo had. The third round involved Rampage getting taken down, and then neither fighter did much of anything when the fight was standing. Rampage landed a few shots here and there. Mo landed a knee in the clinch and a few shots here and there. Not much happened. A 10-10 is justifiable because, although Mo clearly got the better of the grappling from a scoring perspective (and grappling is explicitly said to be weighted the same as striking), it wasn't much genuine scoring work. 10-9 Rampage simply isn't justifiable. There was barely any clean striking in the round and Rampage got outgrappled. 10-10 or 10-9 Mo are the acceptable scores.

15. Magnum1978

Magnum1978 Silver Belt

Agree to a point, but judges still have to use the Unified Rules with a criteria with 'control' in it and look at is as an equal to damage and/or threats of submission (in fact there is no direct reward for damage or threat of submission in the criteria) - just effective striking and effective grappling (which can be open to interpretation in itself, can be just a 'numbers' thing). So with the criteria we have, the top position is overly biased as is pushing a guy against the cage, as its seen as 'control'.

So the judges can still only do as well as the criteria/system allows them.

i.e. There is no overall 'judgement' made with common sense, you just have to score rounds, which are tallied, there is no room for context. Round by round scoring IMO is also bogus (particularly for only THREE rounds of fighting) where one round (one 5 minute section) is scored the same as another, when has no overall significance in comparison to the significance of another round.

So IMO even with perfectly consistent judging using this system, we'd still have many 'poor' decisions (lacking common sense) and worse fights not fought to the spirit of 'fighting', rather to score points/pander to the system as Mo, and Guida and other do.

16. itheuser

itheuser Brown Belt

Of course Mo won the Mousasi fight because getting your ass kicked from the bottom means absolutely nothing when it comes to MMA scoring.

I find that fact insane.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  17. JayElectra

Except it does. Mousasi won the round where he did consistent work from his back based on that consistent work from his back on every single judge's scorecard. Fights are scored round by round, after all.

18. njgrappler

njgrappler Tactical Fedor

Mousasi gassed so goddamn hard in that fight. As I recall he nearly killed Mo early in the fight and then basically coasted on the bottom for the rest of the fight.

19. JayElectra

Not really. He never had Mo seriously hurt, but he did do some very good work from the bottom in the 2nd round and almost got Mo's back towards the end of that round. He did gas and pretty much check out by about midway through the 3rd round.