MNN (I AM LEGEND Reboot; Dwayne Johnson to Star in BAYWATCH Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Murphy Joins Lee Daniel's Untitled Richard Pryor Biopic

Eddie-Murphy-A-Thousand-Words-Dragonlord.jpg

ET has confirmed that Eddie Murphy is in talks for a role in Lee Daniels' untitled Richard Pryor biopic, according to a source close to the production. Murphy will play Richard Pryor's father, LeRoy "Buck Carter" Pryor, a former boxer. ET also confirmed that Kate Hudson will in fact play Pryor’s wife, Jennifer Pryor, who is a producer on the film.

On Thursday, the director posted a photo of the him and Murphy together on Instagram with the caption: “Strap in and brace yourself. They done let me and him out of our cages! #idonteventhinkimreadyforthisone! #excited #proud #OMG”

Murphy and Hudson joins Mike Epps, who cast as Pryor in August of last year. The highly anticipated film also includes Oprah Winfrey playing Pryor's grandmother, Marie Carter. The biopic was first announced in January of 2014 and will be backed by The Weinstein Company. Winfrey will serve as one of the film’s producers, while Daniels is also reportedly set to direct.

Eddie Murphy Cast Joins Omar Epps in Lee Daniels’ Richard Pryor Film (Exclusive)

Josh Gad Joins Disney's Live-Action BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Josh-Gad-031315-Dragonlord.jpg

Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in Disney’s Frozen, is in final negotiations to return to the studio, this time for the its live action take on Beauty and the Beast. Gad is the first American to join the project which already has Brits Emma Watson cast as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast/Prince, and Luke Evans as the vain villain Gaston. Bill Condon is directing

Beauty, a French fairy tale, tells of a young woman who takes her father's place as a prisoner in a monstrous being's castle, only to fall in love with the creature who turns out to be a prince. While sometimes Disney takes a more re-interpretative approach to its new takes on classic animated movies by giving them a spiffy live-action make-overs (a la Alice in Wonderland or Maleficent), in this case it appears the studio is aligning closer to the acclaimed 1991 original like it did with Cinderella, which opens this weekend to acclaim.

Case in point: Gad will play Le Fou, the buffoonish and loyal sidekick to the manly hunter Gaston, a character that was specifically created for the 1991 movie. Gad, who was part of Disney's Thursday announcement to shareholders that a Frozen 2 was in the works, is also reprising his role as Olaf in the new short, Frozen Fever, which plays in front of Cinderella and opens today

Josh Gad to Play Le Fou in Disney's Live-Action 'Beauty and the Beast' (Exclusive)

Genndy Tartakovsky No Longer Directing POPEYE Movie

Genndy-Tartakovsky-Popeye-031315-Dragonlord.jpg

Six months ago we got a first look at Genndy Tartakovsky‘s Popeye, in the form of a promising test reel (see video below). Sadly, it now seems that may be the only look we’ll ever get at it. Tartakovsky reveals that he’s no longer working on the animated feature, and for that matter, studio Sony might not be anymore either. Tartakovsky shared the unfortunate news with Moviefone:

"We put up a great screening, everybody really liked that sizzle, we got a positive reaction. I was in love with what we were doing, but I think the studio is going through changes and I don’t know if they want to make the Popeye that I want to make. So they’ve got to make a decision. Right now, I’m off that project and moving on to the other one that we soft-announced, which is Can You Imagine? which is an original idea of my own and a very personal story. It was hard to let Popeye go, but that’s the business."

But while Popeye may be dead, Tartakovsky’s overall relationship with Sony is as healthy as ever given that he’s actively working on Can You Imagine?, which will be his next film. Tartakovsky is currently working on Hotel Transylvania 2, which Sony has scheduled for release on September 25.

Genndy Tartakovsky Exits 'Popeye', Moves on to 'Can You Imagine'

Jordan Vogt-Roberts to Direct THE STARS MY DESTINATION

Jordan-Vogt-Roberts-The-Stars-My-Destination-Dragonlord.jpg

Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the helmer who broke through with the coming-of-age drama The Kings of Summer and is now prepping the King Kong movie Skull Island, is continuing his big-budget trajectory. The filmmaker is in talks to direct The Stars My Destination, the adaptation of the classic sci-fi tale by Alfred Bester that just landed at Paramount.

The story, published as a serialized tale and then a novel in 1957, tells of a man who is marooned in space after his ship is attacked and everyone else killed. When a passing starship ignores his distress beacon, it sets the man on a Count of Monte Cristo-like journey to get revenge. "Jaunting," aka teleportation, figures into the story as does an explosive that is set off telepathically.

Hollywood has been looking to adapt the book since at least the early 1990s, when Richard Gere optioned the story in the glow of his Pretty Woman success. It was set up at Universal and Fox and attracted directors such as Betty Thomas and Paul W.S. Anderson. Vogt-Roberts is also attached to direct Metal Gear Solid, based on the video game.

'Skull Island' Director in Talks for Sci-Fi Classic 'The Stars My Destination' (Exclusive)

3rd AGE OF ULTRON Trailer Sets Record With 35 Million Views

Avengers-Ultron-Screengrab-030915-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel is crowing that its third trailer for Avengers: Age Of Ultron that dropped last week set a record with 35 million views in 24 hours, breaking the previous record set by the last teaser trailer which debuted October 22, which got 34.3M global views in 24 hours. This trailer attempts to raise the action stakes with the superhero All-Star team that seems overmatched by the title villain.

The trailer starts off with a decidedly Transformers vibe — you could confuse it with the umpteenth Michael Bay sequel — but then it gets busy with the core Marvel characters. By the end, it really feels like the only question worth asking is whether this will be the top-grossing film of 2015, or Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which Disney releases December 18. Disney releases The Avengers sequel bows May 1. Disney is on course to have a heckuva year in market share.

Third Trailer for Marvel's ‘Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Sets Record With 35 Million Views

Legendary Pictures Announces Full Cast for THE GREAT WALL

Legendary-The-Great-Wall-Dragonlord.jpg

Legendary Pictures announced the principal cast for their upcoming The Great Wall, set to be the largest film ever shot entirely in China for global distribution. Academy Award winner Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal (Game of Thrones) and Willem Dafoe will star in the film which tells the story of an elite force making a last stand for humanity on the world’s most iconic structure.

The Chinese cast includes Andy Lau (Infernal Affairs), Jing Tian (New Police Story), Zhang Hanyu (Taking Tiger Mountain), Eddie Peng (Fleet of Time), Lu Han (Miss Granny), Lin Gengxin (Taking Tiger Mountain), Zheng Kai (Fleet of Time, The Running Man), Chen Xuedong (Tiny Times 3), Huang Xuan (The Golden Era, Blind Massage), and, in his feature film debut, pop star Wang Junkai.

Additionally, director Zhang Yimou will carry on his long standing tradition of utilizing new faces in his films. Newcomers Yu Xintian and Liu Qiong will play supporting roles in the film. Production is set to begin in China at the end of March 2015. The Great Wall will be globally released in 3D by Universal Pictures on November 23, 2016.

Matt Damon, Willem Dafoe, Andy Lau Lead Cast of Legendary Pictures' 'The Great Wall'

F. Javier Gutierrez's RINGS Will Be a Prequel to THE RING

The-Ring-031315-Dragonlord.jpg

In a way, The Ring was its own prequel — much of the plot was devoted to figuring out the origins of the killer tape, and uncovering Samara’s tragic childhood in the process. Then the 2005 sequel revealed still more of Samara’s backstory. But apparently there’s still more to her tale that needs to be told. A new report indicates the upcoming Rings will be a prequel. F. Javier Guti

Not a fan of this new trend of shoehorning China into movies. The plot sounds absolutely stupid, like the producers told the creative team "our only requirement for this upcoming movie is that you formulate a premise that involves an iconic Chinese feature".
It doesn't exactly improve the quality.

Origin stories for horror films never work, The Ring had enough backstory, The Ring 2 even contradicted some of that while adding more unnecessary backstory. Has there ever been a successful or good horror origin story?; Freddy's Dead, Halloween 6, Jason Goes to Hell, Prometheus, Hellraiser 4, Exorcist 2, The Beginning, and Dominion, etc. Horror is largely about the unknown and mystery, take that away and empower the viewer and it fails.

Kevin Smith Confirms MALLRATS Sequel Is in the Works

Mallrats-Mewes-Lee-London-Dragonlord.jpg

On the heels of announcing that he

Update: March 16, 2015

Jessica Brown Findlay Cast as Shelly Webster in THE CROW

Jessica-Brown-Findlay-The-Crow-Dragonlord.jpg

The Crow comic book creator James O'Barr made an appearance at the Lexington Comic-Con over the weekend, where he confirmed confirmed that Downton Abbey star Jessica Brown Findlay will play Eric Draven's fiancee Shelly Webster in the upcoming reboot.

"This is the first time I've ever sat in a board room with like 15 producers and they just shut the hell up and let me talk," O'Barr said. "No one interrupted me. They wanted to know what I needed, what the director needed, to make this happen, to make this a good film. I have a really good feeling about it. So I'm really happy with Jack Huston, the director, who is very talented Corin Hardy. This is the first time in three years where I've thought this is actually gonna happen and it's gonna be really really good."

"First of all, it's not really a reboot," O'Barr clarified. There really isn't a proper word for it. A re-imagining is probably closer, but this new film is going right back to the book, right back to the source material. It's not a remake of the Brandon Lee film, it's an adaptation of the book. "It will probably be closer to Taxi Driver than what the Brandon Lee film was. No stylized violence, and, like I said, it's going to be a page-for-page adaptation, with all the visual metaphors, the horses and the trains and barbed wire and empty chairs and open windows."

‘Crow’ Remake Casts ‘Downton Abbey’ Star as Eric's Fiancee, Confirms Creator James O'Barr

Live-Action BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Set for March 17, 2017

Emma-Watson-Beauty-Beast-031615-Dragonlord.jpg

On the heels of the big opening of Disney's Cinderella this past weekend, Disney has dated its live-action fairy-tale retelling Beauty and the Beast for March 17, 2017. Beauty and the Beast currently has the release date to itself.

Emma Watson is starring as Belle while Dan Stevens will play the Prince/Beast. Luke Evans will play the role of Gaston. Emma Thompson has joined the cast as Mrs. Potts and Kevin Kline as Belle's father, Maurice. Production on the project, which will include some CG magic, will kick off in May at Shepperton Studios in London.

Bill Condon is directing from a script by Stephen Chbosky with an earlier version by Evan Spiliotopoulos. Alan Menken, who won two Academy Awards for the 1991 animated classic, will score the film, which will feature new recordings of the original songs in addition to several new songs written by Menken and Sir Tim Rice.

Disney's Live-Action 'Beauty and the Beast' Starring Emma Watson Gets a Release Date

Rumor: Batman's Connection to SUICIDE SQUAD Revealed

Batman-Suicide-Squad-031615-Dragonlord.jpg

Latino Review has some new details about Batman's role in David Ayer's Suicide Squad. According to El Mayimbe's sources, "Batman is some sort of big boogeyman that the government really hates. Prior to the events in Batman v Superman, the Joker is the only one to really ever meet him or know him and that's why he's so important to Amanda Waller. They have footage of Batman in action which they watch. There is a bit of dialogue where they say Batman is the key to tracking down all 'the supers.' Very cool stuff."

A few things are interesting to note here. One is that, while Batman’s presence is apparently strong in the film, the rumors say nothing about Batman actually appearing in the movie. That doesn’t mean it can’t still happen, perhaps as a post-credits scene, but there’s no confirmation of that in this particular set of rumors.

It’s also interesting to consider where the movie seems to be drawing inspiration from, and where it might point the DC Cinematic Universe. Waller’s investigations into meta-humans seems to cast her in a role similar to how she was portrayed in Justice League Unlimited, as a government hardliner looking to keep tabs on those with superpowers, and not without reason.

The idea of the Batman as an urban legend is also a familiar one from the comics. It may mean that Batman will stay out of the public eye once the Justice League is fully formed.

Rumor: New Details on Batman and Joker's Roles in David Ayer's Suicide Squad

Classic Video Games Attack in the First Trailer for PIXELS

Pixels-Monaghan-Sandler-Gad-Dinklage-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony has released the first trailer for director Chris Columbus' upcoming adventure film Pixels. The comedy stars Adam Sandler and revolves around a group of 80s arcade game champions who are called upon to help defend Earth from alien invaders who have misinterpreted our classic arcade games as a declaration of war. While some may be immediately put-off by Sandler’s involvement here, the good news is that he’s not working with his inner circle of filmmakers. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone director Chris Columbus takes the helm, and based on this first look trailer, the results appear to be rather amusing.

They seem to be having fun with the inclusion of popular 80s video game characters rather than simply saying, "Hey look, there’s Pac-Man. Neat." And the visualization of the arcade mainstays is excellent. Ultimately, the overall success of the film will come down to the chemistry between the human actors and how fleshed out they are as characters. The ensemble is solid, and it’s understandable for this first trailer to focus on the effects and such (this is a big summer movie after all). The film also stars Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Kevin James, and Brian Cox. Pixels opens July 24th.

[YT]Hy0YCAAAgnQ[/YT]

Classic Video Games Attack in the First Trailer for PIXELS

Alexandre Desplat Chosen to Score STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE

Alexandre-Desplat-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Dragonlord.jpg

The person that director Gareth Edwards (Monsters) has chosen to compose the score for Star Wars: Rogue One will be French film composer Alexandre Desplat. The two previously worked together on 2014's Godzilla.

Desplat revealed the news in an interview with Radio Classique’s Culture Club (via filmmusicreporter). Desplat recently won an Oscar for his work on Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel. He was also nominated this year for The Imitation Game. He was previously nominated - but didn't win - for Argo, The King’s Speech, The Queen, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button and Philomena.

Not much is known about the plot of Star Wars: Rogue One except that is being written by Chris Weitz (Cinderella) and will star Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything). Filming will begin this summer in London.

Oscar-Winning Composer Alexandre Desplat to Score STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back