MMA's most humbling fights, my top three. What are your favorites?

who ev er mentioned the fighgt where aoki started crying first deserves the trophy hands down

lesnars behavior in the herring fight made me thoroughly dislike him for the rest of his career

Pretty much this. It made him getting smashed by Cain and Overeem SO damn sweet thought.

Shit, I remember when Carwin had him in trouble in their fight. I nearly broke a coffee table I shot up off the couch so fast.

Machida vs. Thiago Silva

i remember silva talking loads of shit about machida before the fight, saying machida just runs, he's going to wreck him, etc.

only reason i'd say it wasn't humbling is because silva still seems like an asshole (even after also getting busted for doping against vera)

GSP put a horrible beating on Sherk back when Sherk was a legit WW (albeit undersized). After that beating, and the sounds coming from Sherk, he was all but forced to reinvent himself as a LW when the opportunity presented itself.

Also...
Hughes/Trigg 2
James Thompson / Aleks
Evan Tanner / "Soul Assassin"
Gracie (any of them) / Saku

I've come out of lurking to provide the correct answer - Hermes Franca vs Manny Reyes Jr.

i don't really understand lesnar/heath. not like heath needed to be humbled, or that he was even a well-known ufc fighter

You must have forgotten the fury of all of the PRIDE nuthuggers and how sure they were that Heath was going to destroy Brock.

GSP getting knocked back to second grade by lightweight Matt Serra does it for me.

Also, Chuck/Rashad

Loved Ninja vs Bonello. Penn/GSP 2 was highly satisfying as well as Rory/Penn. Come to think of it there have been soooooo many "humblings" because we do have a lot of shit talkers in this sport. I must say though the #1 humbling of all time for me would be Royce vs Saku 1.

GSP getting knocked back to second grade by lightweight Matt Serra does it for me.

Also, Chuck/Rashad

Yes because GSP is such an arrogant shit talking fighter who needs to be humbled... lol wow.

GSP/Hughes 3. Hughes thought of himself as the greatest WW of all time and got absolutely toyed with and manhandled. Complete and total domination.

Bisping/Henderson. All of that trash talk just to get made into an internet meme.

Leben/Silva. Same as #2.

Sakurai vs Aoki was great too come to think of it (not sure if this has been mentioned).

GSP vs Koscheck 1 was pretty funny with Koscheck proclaiming GSP would never be able to take him down, as he was an elite level wrestler while GSP was a karate guy, and as we all know GSP completely dominated him with wrestling!!

Heath Herring was a fan favorite? I've never come across anyone who was of fan of his. He doesn't necessarily have any haters, but not fans either. Most people are pretty indifferent to him.

#3 Heath Herring Vs. Brock Lesnar

brock_ride_herring.gif

This was a case of Pride veteran, and fan favorite meets the male soap opera star viking with a blunt instrument tattooed on his chest. Little did Heath know even with all of his experience, and stand up he was no match up for an elite wrestler who resembled a white rhino when he charged for the take down.

haha...that was such a dick move by Brock. Dayum

It's called not being able to finish.

Wow! Clever and new!

I'm speaking from a fighters perspective. Having someone shut down all your skills for twenty-five minutes has got to be very humbling.

GSP put a horrible beating on Sherk back when Sherk was a legit WW (albeit undersized). After that beating, and the sounds coming from Sherk, he was all but forced to reinvent himself as a LW when the opportunity presented itself.

Also...
Hughes/Trigg 2
James Thompson / Aleks
Evan Tanner / "Soul Assassin"
Gracie (any of them) / Saku

Definitely agree, Hughes/Trigg and the Gracies that fell to Sakuraba should have been quite humbling. I say 'should' because steroided Royce and the 22 year old Ralek Gracie rode out a pretty defensive decision against a 40 year old Sakuraba, which the Gracies seem to think of as "redemption" (?)

I don't know if they've been mentioned yet but:

GSP/Hughes 3 was very humbling for Hughes and it kind of showed us that he'd never be champion again

Shogun/Jones and machida/ Jones gave us a glimpse of just how good Jones is

Back