MMA vets that new fans probably don't know, but should

I won't hide that I'm largely biased as he is my coach but I have to go with Dave Terrell.

Without any personal bias though, others that come to mind are Guy Mezger, Vernon White, Maurice Smith, Lee Murray, and Matt LinlanLindland.

Was surprised but happy to see someone name Spencer Fisher in this thread.

Yea, the king was so much fun to watch back in the day. He's one I would suggest all new fans check on fight pass.

I don't think any new fans are going to give a shit about legends.

Jeremy Horn
Carlos Newton

Also Travis Fulton and Lee Murray, but more for their bizarre histories/stories.

Kiyoshi Tamura: 1997-1999 was probably one of the best athletes in the world. He was monster. The fact we didn't get to see him vs Igor Vovchanchyn or Fedor was a real shame. He did finally get to fight Wandy, but it was three-four years too late.

First man to beat Renzo Gracie (9-0-1)
Defeated Horn and Miletich in consecutive matches, Horn at 40-6, Miletich at 25-3.

Other Notable Wins: Dave Menne (23-5), Mikhail Ilyukhin x2 (12-3), Magomedkhan Gamzatkhanov (9-1), Tsuyoshi Kosaka (8-2), Hans Nijman (8-1), Joop Kasteel (6-1), Valentine Overeem (6-2), Hiromitsu Kanehara (4-1).

Finishes his career with finishes over Tokoro, Funaki, and beating Sakuraba.

wide.jpg

List them

1. Tom Erikson - no one wanted to fight him because he was just good enough to derail anyone's climb to the top

2. Jose Landi-Jons - an uknown legend, the man was a machine and had all the skills.

3. Antonio McKee - a situation similar to Askren. Outside of the UFC he was making a big name for himself. One of the few non-UFC greats who failed to climb to the top of the UFC.

4. Igor Vovchanchyn - a very bad man in a time when the sport was full of scary motherfuckers.

Kazushi Sakuraba
Akira Shoji
Carlos Newton
Mark Kerr

Good thread, but a waste. These new age fans don't know shit and never will. They're all front-running, bandwagon riding shitheads who remove all doubt of their ignorance with their constant displays of stupidity and retardation.

I didn't say he was a great fighter... at least I hope I didn't... but newbs today might be interested to know the Askren situation happened once before. (don't nitpick, people... lots of similarities)

when people (who weren't stupid shills or zombies slobbering on Dana's nuts) were worried Fedor would fade into obscurity because he never fought in the ufc, I think they were picturing Pele

as someone who has followed the sport for almost two decades I'm fascinated with which news stories are brand new to the sport and which are just history repeating itself

Idk man, MccKee NEVER comes up in any real conversation about any of the greats. I think the biggest headlines he made were for eventually getting signed to the ufc (and going 0-2 I believe) and him having kidney failure trying to make weight. He was never a world beater and wouldn't even be in the top 25 lw's of all time.
I'm not hating on him but history repeating itself isn't a big deal if you were barely a footnote.

Idk man, MccKee NEVER comes up in any real conversation about any of the greats. I think the biggest headlines he made were for eventually getting signed to the ufc (and going 0-2 I believe) and him having kidney failure trying to make weight. He was never a world beater and wouldn't even be in the top 25 lw's of all time.
I'm not hating on him but history repeating itself isn't a big deal if you were barely a footnote.

I'm not saying he's great, I'm saying he's relevent to the Askren situation, which is a major part of MMA right now. He had a lot of hype behind him and people were seriously speculating that he could bet GSP. That's why people should know him, because at one point he was considered one of the greats outside of the UFC.

I'm not saying he's great, I'm saying he's relevent to the Askren situation, which is a major part of MMA right now. He had a lot of hype behind him and people were seriously speculating that he could bet GSP. That's why people should know him, because at one point he was considered one of the greats outside of the UFC.

I think were gonna have to agree to disagree on him. I just don't see him as noteworthy at all.
Didn't he fight @ lw mostly? And I don't seem to remember much discussion on him beating GSP (actually none at all). And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if people were saying that it was more about wanting to see GSP lose more then McKee win.
Not trying to argue with you but he was a nobody imo. Nobody was hyped to see him fight and he never made much noise with his performances. I would put him on par with a guy like Marius Zaromskis (if he was more of a journeyman). MZ won some titles (DEEP wasn't it?) And fought some bigger name guys but could never put it together to push to a high level in the big leagues.

Masakazu Imanari
Caol Uno
Jeremy Horn
Mark Kerr
Semmy Schilt
Murilo Bustamante
Genki Sudo
Hayato Sakurai
Ricardo Arona

I think were gonna have to agree to disagree on him. I just don't see him as noteworthy at all.
Didn't he fight @ lw mostly? And I don't seem to remember much discussion on him beating GSP (actually none at all). And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if people were saying that it was more about wanting to see GSP lose more then McKee win.
Not trying to argue with you but he was a nobody imo. Nobody was hyped to see him fight and he never made much noise with his performances. I would put him on par with a guy like Marius Zaromskis (if he was more of a journeyman). MZ won some titles (DEEP wasn't it?) And fought some bigger name guys but could never put it together to push to a high level in the big leagues.

We'll have to disagree. The buzz he had on the forums was insane. People were ranking him very highly, like when Lindland was out of the UFC and still ranked as a top middleweight or, now, Askren being ranked highly.

We'll have to disagree. The buzz he had on the forums was insane. People were ranking him very highly, like when Lindland was out of the UFC and still ranked as a top middleweight or, now, Askren being ranked highly.

Good to have an actual discussion with someone here lol. I do see a bit of the similarities you're drawing between him and Askren and I hope when he does make itt to the ufc he will be able to make some waves there if he can really develope his stand up and use his grappling skills to submit guys.

Oh wait I meant "you fucking mma hipster shertard aaarrrghhhh!". That's how we should do it.

Good to have an actual discussion with someone here lol. I do see a bit of the similarities you're drawing between him and Askren and I hope when he does make itt to the ufc he will be able to make some waves there if he can really develope his stand up and use his grappling skills to submit guys.

Oh wait I meant "you fucking mma hipster shertard aaarrrghhhh!". That's how we should do it.

this back and forth sharing of ideas is ridiculous. We should be insulting each other's mamas and whatnot. We're a disgrace to the internets.

Back