MMA vets that new fans probably don't know, but should

Jonathan Goulet should get a mention. Achieved a lot more than being koed in 3 seconds or w/e

Something spectacular would happen pretty much every time he fought. Dude didn't know how to let a fight go to the judges.

EDIT: Just looked it up, 3 decisions total out of 36 fights. Unfortunately for his health, a lot of those fights ended with him KTFO.

Jeremy Horn, Sato, Allan Goes, Mario Sperry, Oleg Taktarov, Guy Mezger, Ryan Gracie

CARLOS THE RONIN NEWTON

Good list. I give an honorable mention to Jeff Curran too. He was one of the OG roadwarriors.

List them

1. Tom Erikson - no one wanted to fight him because he was just good enough to derail anyone's climb to the top

2. Jose Landi-Jons - an uknown legend, the man was a machine and had all the skills.

3. Antonio McKee - a situation similar to Askren. Outside of the UFC he was making a big name for himself. One of the few non-UFC greats who failed to climb to the top of the UFC.

4. Igor Vovchanchyn - a very bad man in a time when the sport was full of scary motherfuckers.

Just look up McKee's highlight reel...oh wait, that boring mofo doesn't have any highlights.

Lol, why would ts include him of all people?

Aoki-fan bias incoming...

Shinya_Aoki_vs._Antonio_McKee_1.gif

Shinya_Aoki_vs._Antonio_McKee_3.gif

Just look up McKee's highlight reel...oh wait, that boring mofo doesn't have any highlights.

Lol, why would ts include him of all people?

I didn't say he was a great fighter... at least I hope I didn't... but newbs today might be interested to know the Askren situation happened once before. (don't nitpick, people... lots of similarities)

when people (who weren't stupid shills or zombies slobbering on Dana's nuts) were worried Fedor would fade into obscurity because he never fought in the ufc, I think they were picturing Pele

as someone who has followed the sport for almost two decades I'm fascinated with which news stories are brand new to the sport and which are just history repeating itself

joe stevenson
jon fitch
spencer fisher
yves edwards
brandon vera

Some of my fav fighters from the early days that every one could appreciate
Dan Sevren
Don Frye
Mark Kerr
Kevin Randlemen
Mark Coleman
Matt Linland

I use to have huge wrestler bias.

After 12 years i just earned my Purple belt with this post. lol

McKee got his shot in the UFC and got beat at his own game...

Bibiano Fernandes. People gotta know.

Was surprised but happy to see someone name Spencer Fisher in this thread.

Pedro Rizzo
Alexander Emilianenko
Ricardo Arona

Shaolin was ranked number 1 at LW in 2004, wins over Ishida, Kawajiri and Hellboy. Also those guys should get a mention.

Yoshida who was pretty much one of the faces of Pride and had a bunch of great fights.

Satoko Shinashi before Honda there was only one queen and the female Fedor.

Megumi Fujii another great WMMA fighter before Housey.

Igor Vovchanchyn
Kid Yamamoto
Genki Sudo
Kazushi Sakuraba

Heath Herring was a fun fighter in Pride. Mario Sperry got a nice upset over Igor, Nino Schrembi a much bigger one against Sakuraba. Bobby Hoffman was a hard puncher, decent wins as well.

Ricco Rodriguez & Murilo Bustamante were both UFC champs with some good skills regardless of era at their peak. Both had good fights against some greats. As did Guy Mezger, who was winning against plenty of top fighters, but also had some bad luck.

Back