mma striking defense

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i think this is something that has to change guys dont work defense at all its funny how guys are under henry hooft yet run straight back with head turned sideways to getaway from punches guys only work combos in the gym now even at top gyms i fidn that weird and only with 16 oz gloves

4 oz gloves change the game so its much harder to just cover up i try to work defense alot cause i fear the lucky shot getting in randomly that stoped guys like gsp, cain vs dosantos 1 ect do you guys agree

i think this is something that has to change guys dont work defense at all its funny how guys are under henry hooft yet run straight back with head turned sideways to getaway from punches guys only work combos in the gym now even at top gyms i fidn that weird and only with 16 oz gloves

4 oz gloves change the game so its much harder to just cover up i try to work defense alot cause i fear the lucky shot getting in randomly that stoped guys like gsp, cain vs dosantos 1 ect do you guys agree

I understand where youre coming from but i feel like thats more a Luke "the one" rockhold thing than an mma thing.

As for the lucky shot you can train as much as you want (im very big on drilling defense) but if your opponent picks up on patterns and capitalizes theres very little you can do in regard to not taking that "lucky" shot

Mate. Yesterday's UFC shows the point I've been trying to make for a long time.
You can't succeed without boxing, and hands trump kicks 9/10 times... ESPECIALLY in MMA.
If Rockhold had that little bit of boxing knowledge (angles, distance, pivots, feints), he could have easily outboxed Romero. He got KO'd because he thought it would be a good idea to counter a tight cross/overhand with a static lead hook. Any boxer knows if you do this, you must execute a pivoting lead hook to get you away from the cross.
Whatever, to your point:
4oz gloves change everything. You can't cover up like in KB/MT/boxing. You gotta move in and out and be mobile. Head movement is your most reliable defense. 4oz gloves also make punches way more devastating, so no exchanging.
Conor McGregor has the perfect style for MMA striking.

You can't succeed without boxing, and hands trump kicks 9/10 times... ESPECIALLY in MMA.
If Rockhold had that little bit of boxing knowledge (angles, distance, pivots, feints), he could have easily outboxed Romero. He got KO'd because he thought it would be a good idea to counter a tight cross/overhand with a static lead hook. Any boxer knows if you do this, you must execute a pivoting lead hook to get you away from the cross.
Whatever, to your point:
4oz gloves change everything. You can't cover up like in KB/MT/boxing. You gotta move in and out and be mobile. Head movement is your most reliable defense. 4oz gloves also make punches way more devastating, so no exchanging.

i agree boxing is a much better base at end of day if u have a solid wrestling game to stop kicks and threaten takedowns so they dont throw as much

Whatever, to your point:
a proper guard can still be effective in mma. but your right, you don't want to overly rely on it. footwork and head movement are safer options in mma. i can guarantee however, if you block properly its is effective in mma, boxing or bare knuckle. you have to exaggerate the motion of the block slightly in mma or bare knuckle. i only mention bare knuckle to point out effective blocking doesn't rely on gloves to work.

16oz gloves for sparring are a necessary evil. I used to emphasise to the mma competitors (particularly those transitioning from boxing/kickboxing) in sparring that their first options were head movement and parrying. Walling up is the last resort. Getting danger of getting touched was amplified in the smaller gloves and they had to train for the wall to not being their first option in defence.

a proper guard can still be effective in mma. but your right, you don't want to overly rely on it. footwork and head movement are safer options in mma. i can guarantee however, if you block properly its is effective in mma, boxing or bare knuckle. you have to exaggerate the motion of the block slightly in mma or bare knuckle. i only mention bare knuckle to point out effective blocking doesn't rely on gloves to work.

yeah i agree you can cover up but thats the option you use when u couldnt angle out intime but in muay thai thats the answer for everything in most fights is cover up but they can get away with that due to no takedowns and big gloves

man i dont get why most gyms dont do light dirll sparring with mma gloves? distance is different as well without the bigger gloves defense is different you have to do this i love it personally its a great warm up drill as well

man i dont get why most gyms dont do light dirll sparring with mma gloves? distance is different as well without the bigger gloves defense is different you have to do this i love it personally its a great warm up drill as well
gives you a real sense of the small gloves before you start getting punches at for real.

yeah i agree you can cover up but thats the option you use when u couldnt angle out intime but in muay thai thats the answer for everything in most fights is cover up but they can get away with that due to no takedowns and big gloves
at of people were shocked to see some traditional martial art stylists cross over better than thai fighters due to a greater emphasis on footwork and keeping the fight at range.

Rockhold's problem in that fight wasn't shitty boxing, his problem is that he has no concept of distance and how to control it. Luke has a sizable reach advantage over everyone in his division and he has the kicks that can take advantage of it, problem is the dumbass keeps putting himself in boxing range where a)he can't fully use his kicks and b)his opponents can punch the shit out of him. Instead of keeping the distance open and sticking opponents at the end of his kicks where they can't hit him back, he hangs out in boxing range where he can be hit.

Does his boxing need work? Yes. But that's not the main reason he keeps getting cracked. He gets hit because a)he hangs around in boxing range and b)his shitty distancing means opponents are all over him with punches before he knows what's going on. Luke always thinks he's out of range when he actually isn't, it's funny watching the shocked expression on his face when he gets tagged.

Rockhold needs to learn from Jon Jones, who until recently had shitty boxing. Both of them are good kickers with long reach and strong clinch control. What Jones does is minimize the time he spends in boxing range, he generally doesn't trade hands with his opponents if he can avoid it. He sticks them out at kicking range where he can chip away at them with kicks, and if they get past kicking range he'll collapse the range into the clinch and work his wrestling and inside striking.

Rockhold's problem in that fight wasn't shitty boxing, his problem is that he has no concept of distance and how to control it. Luke has a sizable reach advantage over everyone in his division and he has the kicks that can take advantage of it, problem is the dumbass keeps putting himself in boxing range where a)he can't fully use his kicks and b)his opponents can punch the shit out of him. Instead of keeping the distance open and sticking opponents at the end of his kicks where they can't hit him back, he hangs out in boxing range where he can be hit.

Does his boxing need work? Yes. But that's not the main reason he keeps getting cracked. He gets hit because a)he hangs around in boxing range and b)his shitty distancing means opponents are all over him with punches before he knows what's going on. Luke always thinks he's out of range when he actually isn't, it's funny watching the shocked expression on his face when he gets tagged.

Rockhold needs to learn from Jon Jones, who until recently had shitty boxing. Both of them are good kickers with long reach and strong clinch control. What Jones does is minimize the time he spends in boxing range, he generally doesn't trade hands with his opponents if he can avoid it. He sticks them out at kicking range where he can chip away at them with kicks, and if they get past kicking range he'll collapse the range into the clinch and work his wrestling and inside striking.

also notice all his punches when he'd throw romero was basically holding mitts lol blocking them and where he was blocking them they were no where near his face rockholds long lanky and throws body kicks leg kicks i dont see how these guys cant have better striking than this at that level

also you think jones has good boxing? thats the furthest thing from the truth maybe hed be the goat if he had it jones wins fights like rockhold due to keeping distance with kicks he never fought a good boxer besides vitor and well vitors either on or off and luckly for him that night vitor was off

the vitor who fought rockhold whos close to jones size would have murdered jones

Last edited:
I think you guys have never boxed. Covering up is a last resort defense. You basically allow your opponent to keep on punching or take an angle.

In boxing you relly a lot more on movement with feet, body and head and their positioning. You also may find yourself blocking hands far away from your guard and countering with short punches than in any other sport. Some boxers like Golovking deflect strikes with elbows even. So I am not sure where comes the myth of the 16 oz. In spars whenever I make someone cover up it indicates me I have done well and I will usually land a clean strike afterwards.

lol iv been boxing at a very good gym since i was 14 in 2005 we have very good pros

mma with 4 oz gloves moving out fo way fo shots is more improtant but hand sup is gonna be key if they get wild on you coming forward i dare you to go fight with 4 oz gloves and youll see for yourself the games alot different marcus davis is an amazingggg boxer u should see him in the gym and he even got knocked out alot in his mma career vs guys who wernt near as technical as him

You'r absolutly right!! My same thought..they should focus on offensive deffensive

i think this is something that has to change guys dont work defense at all its funny how guys are under henry hooft yet run straight back with head turned sideways to getaway from punches/QUOTE]

I remember a certain IG boxing coach (his main platform) mentioned something the same and got tones of shit for it.

I agree most of HH guys are great as far as offence but lack good defensive skills.

It’s cuz hooft is a Dutch style kickboxer thinks relying on the guard is enough. I agree boxing defense is critical in mma

Air Khabib showed us that a wrestler could easily out-strike anyone just by threatening a guy with possible takedowns.

Air Khabib showed us that a wrestler could easily out-strike anyone just by threatening a guy with possible takedowns.

Please. Nate Diaz outworked him too and he's hardly a wrestler

Please. Nate Diaz outworked him too and he's hardly a wrestler
Where he outworked Khabib? There is some official fight record that he had won Khabib?
This sounds like if you had claimed that you had defeated Cejudo for example.

Back