MMA shorts?

xjado321

White Belt
Reaction score
How do specific mma shorts (hayabusa, tapout, warrior, etc) compare with training in some normal basketball shorts. I have been training in bball shorts for a while now and have no troubles training in them. What would be the benefits of wearing mma shorts or vale tudo shorts in training?

The way I look at it is they do what they're meant to, more durable, stay in place better, give you a little extra grip where applicable, and they look good. They're not necessary but it's the same as soccer or any other sport, you'll be fine with $20 shoes, but the the more expensive shoes will look nicer and be more durable, lighter, and perform a little better. It's a matter of personal opinion, is it worth the price? For you maybe not, but for me it is.

What type of training?
If regular shorts are staying on then I question your training partners.

I have personally found that normal shorts (basketball or otherwise) tend to be fairly "loose" so for example when you are on your back working guard, the shorts fall into your crotch, but fightshorts are usually a bit stiffer so they stay up and don't expose your thighs. I don't know if that's an issue for a lot of guys, but I like them like that.

Also the fastening system is usually fairly robust, so they are not going to get pulled down so easily. Very handy when grappling :)

I've seen guys wear regular boardshorts or swimtrunks when grappling, and on some occations they manage to rip the crotch when squatting down or playing guard, so the flexible patch in the crotch definitely serves a purpose.

Back