1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

MMA Shorts vs Thai & Boil & Bite Piece Question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Pro Killer, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Pro Killer Black Belt

Hey Guys,
    First question is to do with shorts, The back story is I am currently training Muay Thai 2x per week but also thinking about re-introducing myself to BJJ, I've had a couple of months off from it due to geographical reasons!!
    I currently own 1 Pair of Twins Muay Thai shorts that I've had about a year and for BJJ I usually wear just some plain shorts that youd buy from a shop.

So I've decided to buy a second pair of shorts, The reason I got Thai shorts in the first place was that they are very flexible and didn't limit my Range of Motion like other shorts do, So if it was going to be MMA shorts that have to be very flexible.

The reason I am leaning towards MMA shorts is that I could wear them for my BJJ and also I might be starting doing some groundwork at the Muay Thai gym (which would be after Muay Thai classes), So I dont think it would be appropriate to do that in Thai shorts considering how short they are.

Thoughts and Opinions?? Plus if you agree that it should be MMA shorts Can you recommend a good Brand and Style??

Thanks!!!

Question 2: Mouth Piece

Also looking to get a new mouth piece, Reading the FAQ it seems a Protech Mouthguard Boil and Bite would be ok, My friend has a shock doctor one and says its ok!

If you think a custom one is much better then please say, But Im leaning towards a GOOD boil and bite one based on price.

Again

Opinions/ Thoughts

Thanks alot !!!

2. xnhojx Yellow Belt

I also have a question about custom mouth guards. What would be a good custom mouth guard for a pretty cheap price?

3. bubkusjones Brown Belt

Jaco, Hayabusa, Sprawl all make good shorts. Most have a stretch panel over the crotch area that helps with flexibility. There are cheaper brands (I think Walmart has their own with shorts for $15 or so), so if you want to try them out before spending a decent amount on them, they may be worth it.

I've never seen the protech before, so I don't know what it's like. I believe the general consensus for mouthguards is use a normal boil-and-bite (like the $5 ones you can get at most places) until you save up for a custom.
    You can get one from Customguards.com - Protect Your Winning Smile for only $10 more than the protech. Add a little more money and you can get it in different colours/patterns.

4. Fightdentist White Belt

As a practicing dentist for over 20 years I can say from my experience there is no better protection then a custom guard that is made to custom fit your mouth. We at Fightdentist and JAWZZ totally understand that the expense can get very high, especially when intense graphics are being requested. For that reason we came up with 4 custom to select from.
    Our most expensive is the $195 full graphics, next is our Top Ten for $145, then our $99 which has simple graphic and finally our $75 custom graphic which as our logos.

All four are the same quality, same thickness, and the same ones we make for most of our professional clients.

Our boil and bites with custom graphic which sell for $30 are also very good have a good thickness and look good.

I hope this helps

Dr Adam Persky
    Fightdentists.com

5. MMAGearZone White Belt

the OproShield mouthguards are excellant. originally made for rugby players they are perfect for fighters. they have fins built into the middle section that countour to the teeth directly which the guard also countours to the mouth frame. this is the tightest fit besides a custom made guard.

BTW- the prices from fightdentist are actually pretty fair numbers in case you are considering going that route. that is a good deal based on what i have heard others pay. thanks for offering a great service like that guys!

as for shorts, kill 2 birds with one stone and get Vale Tudo's. they are incredible for grappling with no loose anything making them feel like there is nothnig on. and for Muay Thai, well let's just say I dont wear Thai shorts anymore. I put on a pair of Vale Tudos and now use them for everything.