mma shin guard questions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by GFG, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GFG

GFG Green Belt

i was just curious how the full neoprene sleeve shin guards compare to the neoprene velcro shin guards?

[​IMG]
    these don't shift but are hard to get off after training sessions. however they do losen up after they have been broken in and become easier to take off over time

[​IMG]
    never even looked at this style before so i'm kinda curious what others think of the velcro neoprene style mma shin guards. do they shift? does the velcro peel off easily while grappling?

2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I've tried a bunch of different shin guards and own three different pairs.

My favorite so far are Renegade MMA X-Trainers because of the full neoprene wrap. The qualm I have with the guards isn't actually the company's fault--I just expected their zipper to go from top to bottom (like a jacket) instead of just enough to create an opening for an air pocket to relieve the suction.

If you're looking to design a stable and versatile shin guard that is easy to take off and put back on, then perhaps a full zipper lining may be the key. The zipper is stronger then Velcro straps, so just reinforce the stress points the zipper causes when pulled up the calf, have a liner of the zipper to make sure it doesn't dig into your calves, and I think you'd be set.

Or maybe lace-up shin guards.

Either way, straps just do not seem to be a viable option if you're going to the ground. The full neoprene sleeve creating friction against the skin is what causes the stability of the X-Trainers. Yeah, the Hayabusas are good up top, but the straps just won't hold when scrambling to side mount.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  3. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Man, those Everlast shin guards look like they would fall apart after one practice.

If you're grappling, any velcro shin guards will eventually come undone, that's why they made grappling shin guards with the full neoprene back. But the grappling shinguards are hard to take off and aren't padded enough for heavy sparring, so I would only use them for MMA sparring.

I have a velcro pair for muay thai and a neoprene pair for MMA class (but not made by Everlast). It's a worthwhile investment.

4. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

The Hayabusa Pro Striking have full frontal protection, but lack stability. The X-Trainers have Perfect stability, but is lacking foot and below-knee protection.

The Busa's are lightweight enough to roll in, and provide premium protection while maintaining a low profile. I'd you were to dissect any gaurds like you did the Fairtex's, then the Busa Pro's may be the way to go.

And I don't like the idea of carrying to shin guards. I'd
    Rather pay top dollar once then twice.

5. CONQUERER23

CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

I like the King Shin Guards. Offer lots of protection and can still be very mobile while wearing them.

6. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Yeah, I think this is a given, but there are guys who swear by the Cageside MMA shin guards saying that although they are velcro they stay in place. I never used them, but I can't see how that wouldn't come undone. The difference between them and normal striking shin guards is that the streps are wider and I think made of neoprene, which supposedly holds them in place better when grappling. But I still think the velcro would come undone somehow.

7. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I like my x-trainers a lot, they work well in standup and the basic ground work I've done with them.

I have an extra set I'm selling for $39 (shipped) if anyone is looking for a set.

8. GFG

GFG Green Belt

nice think velcro can be a pain to rip apart so i can see it work, i'd love to here from anyone who has the velcro/neoprene style mma grappling shin gaurds

9. bragglefraggle

bragglefraggle Purple Belt

dont buy the everlast shin guards, mine ripped in a week

10. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

I dont think anything Everlast was meant to last, the average life span of any everlast gear I have tried showed some wear\damage in a month if not sooner.

11. GFG

GFG Green Belt

not looking at everlast just needed quick pictures for this post so people knew what i was talking about

12. xmikex

xmikex White Belt

not to thread jack but im kind of in th same boat, i do medium contact thai and sparring and want to upgrade from my sock shin guards.

im trying to decide against combat sport gel SP, hayabusa instep SP, or fairtex pro shin guards.

i have read reviews on all of them my only concerns is thateh fairtex are for heavy contace and mainly stand up. i sometimes do full mma sparring but alot of the time its jsut stand up. the only complaints i have heard abouthe hayabusa is that they are to thin for heavy sparring. i havent really heard anyhting on the combat sport gel SP.

any input would be awesome

C/N: looking to get new SP either combat sport gel, hayabusa instep, or fairtex pro. do medium sparring and want to be able ot use the pads for mma training.

13. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Damn, those new ads are ANNOYING.

Back on topic, for neoprene guards I definitely recommend the RenegadeMMA X-Trainers. Here is a comparison review:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/r...hayabusa-pro-vs-renegademma-tri-core-1330515/

Some dude just said today he may buy the Fairtex one's, so look out for that review soon.

Again, with Fairtex and CS you're going to apy top-dollar. I've found Fairtex is generally on the ball with their stuff (except for a few super bag gloves chipping). However, the RenegadeMMA's are quality shins for a rare price. Plus, they have a zipper for easy access.

BUT, if you want to be cool and unique and write a schnazzy review of your own, then try the Primetime Shin-guards.
    PrimeTime 1P MMA Shin Guard

PrimeTime may not be as mainstream as CSI or Fairtex, but Primetime's rep is flawless. Their gloves are hailed as perfection, and their shins are made of the same material. For $40, give them a shot!