MMA School/Gym in NYC input appreciated

Fight Whisperer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to find an MMA gym in NYC to train at. I would like to find a place that offers the full MMA spectrum (stand-up, striking, grappling, wrestling, submissions, etc.) with the opportunity and option to compete not just in one discipline.

However, I have also always been interested in learning Filipino martial arts (specifically stick fighting and knife fighting). I find the Dog Brothers stuff really interesting. Unfortunately, they do not seem to have a school in NYC.

My main priority is finding a good MMA place, the Filipino Martial Arts and weapons fighting would just be more of an added bonus.

I want to find a place that isn't overcrowded. The last place I use to train at started to get really crowded right before I left. Just want to add I didn't leave because of this, the last place I was at was a great gym, with excellent instruction and good people. I left because I was starting a position with a big docu-series project that was going to take up pretty much all my time. I want to find a completely new place to train now, just to see what else is out there.

One of my issues is price. Everything in NYC is expensive. So I would like to find a place that is reasonable, where I won't be left homeless albeit still training MMA.

I am specifically looking at 3 places at the moment:

Camp Undefeated
Camp Undefeated - MMA - Mixed Martial Arts - Muay Thai - Kick Boxing - BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Manhattan New York, NYC

This place seems cool. They have Muay Thai, BJJ, and it seems they also offer greco-roman wrestling and boxing (according to their website, but maybe they don't have this anymore or they will have this soon, since the schedule does not seem to reflect these as classes). They also have a full MMA cage and classes 6 days a week. The price is expensive, which is standard in NYC, but they aren't leave you naked in the middle of Times Sq. expensive. In other words, by NYC standards, they have reasonable prices. It seems as though Jorge 'Macaco' Patino will be teaching their soon as well which is really awesome!

The only downside seems to be that they don't offer any Filipino Martial Arts and/or weapons training.

Anderson's Martial Arts
Anderson's Martial Arts: Home

This place seems awesome. They have tons of classes. According to their schedule they are consistently open 5 days a week from 12pm into the evening and Saturdays in the afternoon. They appear to offer the full MMA spectrum (Muay Thai, BJJ, and a bunch of other stuff). They also seem to have self-defense and street fighting programs as well. And they also have Filipino Martial Arts and weapons training, very nice bonus. They also offer 2 free private lessons right off the bat when you join to help you get acquainted with their program and transition into the school.

The downside is that, according to the e-mail they sent me, they seem out of my price range. $200 a month for unlimited classes. Although they do offer tons of classes a week. I realistically won't be able to train every day, or enough to really take advantage of the schedule and justify $200 a month out of my pocket. Real bummer since this would have been the easy choice (on paper) in a perfect world.

DeRosa Pure MMA Training NYC
PURE MMA NYC

This place seems to offer a full MMA program, not sure if they divide the schedule according to disciplines. But it seems that they blend (Muay Thai, Boxing, JKD, wrestling, Judo, Sambo, and BJJ) into a MMA regimen and self-defense program. The big plus here is that it is just a couple blocks away from my place so I can easily walk/jog to and from their location. The price is the same as Camp Undefeated.

The downside, they do not offer as many classes per week as Anderson's Martial Arts or Camp Undefeated. They have classes 4 days a week. This is more than enough days a week. However, like all NY'ers my schedule can be hectic and unpredictable. So if I wanted to consistently train 4 days a week, then missing out on a Tuesday class would mean I would not be able to come in on a Wednesday to make up for Tuesday etc.

The obvious thing to do would be to visit the schools and try out free trial classes and talk to the management and instructors. Which I will definitely do. However, I want as much info and input as possible. If anyone is a current student or has any sort of experience or info on the above schools, that would be much appreciated. I just want to make as best an informed decision as possible before I invest my hard earned cash and time into a school.

Likewise, although you can get some sort of feel for a school from taking a trial class its not nearly the same as training their for at least a month or so. So I just want as much info as possible (trying to be an educated consumer).

Thanks so much guys

Where in NYC? My instructor started his training in Brooklyn, and his Sifu taught JDK with an emphasis on Muay Thai and Filipino Martial Arts. My instructor is also a BJJ black belt, as are many of his training partners, and they train MMA in Brooklyn together. Not sure if it's open to everyone though. If you lived closer to the Queens/Nassau border I'd tell you to come train with me, as we teach all the things you're looking for (BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Filipino Martial Arts, etc.).

Looking to train in Manhattan or at least close to Manhattan.

I am open to other boroughs, but I want to find a place close to Manhattan.

Thanks for the reply.

Where in Brooklyn?

Where in Queens/Nassau border?

Where in Brooklyn?

Where in Queens/Nassau border?

Both are far. The Brooklyn place I'm talking about is in Canarsie, and the Queens/Nassau border is on the Nassau side (Valley Stream, you'd need to take the LIRR or drive).

Hopefully someone with more experience in Manhattan can help you. A lot of places that specialize in one style (i.e. BJJ, Muay Thai) might be able to train you for MMA. A lot of guys from the city who do MMA train at various places for each style.

if you want mma, then renzo I would put as #1 in city but it is expensive.

i would also say evolution MT if you want to spend a little less as it appears they added nogi and wrestling classes.

i have heard nothing but bad things about camp undefeated.

Ronin Athletics is the place you want to go.

The main head instructor is Christian. He is a purple belt (Not really, should be a black belt)

The way he teaches is so detailed that he is one the best instructors I've ever had in any place or possibly in any sport. The man cares for his students.

He is nice and down to earth. His attitude rubs off on his students. No egos in the place. They have great grapplers that almost always place in the top three in local tournaments in their respective weight divisions.

I live in Buffalo due to school, I often miss the place because of the good people I've met there and missing the quality instruction I can't get anywhere else. Also, Christian knows some really good famous grapplers that stop by at the place. I don't want to drop any names, hopefully, you can go and see the place for yourself. I know you'll like it.

RONIN ATHLETICS

Yes, I used to train at Ronin. I like the place and I agree Christian is probably one of the nicest and coolest people I've ever met. Great instruction n what not and everyone at that gym is super cool and helpful.

I am considering going back there. In fact, I ran into him not too long ago and he was inviting me to come back and start training again. But I want to try training at another place for a while. I thought the classes at Ronin were starting to get a little cramped right before I had to take some time off. I can only imagine that it has gotten even more crowded as it seems he has over 30 people on the mats there often these days. I think it's great and Christian deserves all the success in the world.

But my main reason for finding a new gym is to try another place for a while just because that's the only real MMA gym that I have trained at. I want to see what else is out there. I was hoping to find a place that regularly competes in MMA as well. I know Ronin has great BJJ and grappling competitors, and so far they have only had about 1 Muay Thai competitor (as he was the dude who use to rearrange my face on a regular basis); but very few or no MMA competitors so far. I'm not getting any younger and I want to throw myself in the fire and see what it's like to train at or at least be around a gym full of killers (something I'll most likely regret saying), but I know if I wait longer I'll probably become too old and too busy with real life to train with regular MMA competitors.

Additionally, although Christian does have experience with Filipino martial arts. I've spoken with him before about possibly adding it to the curriculum and he wasn't too big on the idea. I understood; but I was, admittedly, a bit disappointed.

Yeah I checked out on the UG and saw that Laszlo Huve doesn't exactly have a very good reputation. It's real unfortunate as it seems he had some really good coaches there and it seems he has some new coaches there who seem legit. But I don't know. I'll probably still try out a class and see how I feel, but that just makes me much more cautious and turned off by the place.

Anyone have any input on DeRosa Pure MMA or Anderson's Martial Arts (ironically, a place where Christian use to train at)?

Yeah, I will probably check out Evolution Muay Thai as well. A buddy of mine from Ronin also spends some time working on his Muay Thai there. He's not big on the ground game so I wasn't able to hear any input on his thoughts on their grappling program. Unfortunately, I guess they don't have Filipino Martial Arts =(

Thanks for all the replies guys. If anyone else can offer any input or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

if you want to fight mma. then i say suck it up and go to renzo's and pay extra for the MT.

someone said they have a wrestling class but it is not on the public schedule. they do have judo once a week i think on wed at 3:30 which is not on the schedule.

I don't think another gym in NYC puts out as many competitors in mma. they send a lot to the jersey promotion i forgot the name of.

they have big classes but it is a big place. they also have classes all the time. and they have danaher.
their MT guy is someone from the Wat

All the "issues' i've been reading about regarding Camp Undefeated is turning me off from their gym. I want to avoid bullcrap and just find a good place to train. I'm too poor to be getting screwed over right now anyway.

I can't afford Renzo's. I've heard they're mostly BJJ (obviously) in the school and don't train you in the other aspects of MMA unless you pay extra or I suppose until you've reached purple belt or higher. I've also heard that the white belt classes get very very crowded and the level of instruction isn't quite so great until you make your way into the purple belts and above. (I'm not passing judgement or being critical just going by what I've heard from people and read on forums)

I am starting to give Evolution Muay Thai a serious consideration. I will probably try out a class. A guy I spoke to the other day informed me that their school is a bit cramped, long hallway-like but very narrow. Can anyone comment on their grappling and wrestling programs? Are they gearing things towards MMA or is it just very separated and secular disciplines with not much intermingling and methodology to mixing it all up?

Can anyone comment on Anderson's Martial Arts (seems like a cool place on paper but now I have also been hearing some "issues" about that place as well)? Or DeRosa Pure MMA (I am guessing that it's a relatively new school)?

Thanks so much for the replies everyone has been very helpful.

You are always welcome to come by our gym and give a look see:
www.nycombatsambo.com

You can check out some of our guys on youtube as well:
YouTube - sambosteve's Channel

We are not huge, but we train good people and have solid monthly rates (no contracts). $125 = 2 classes a week; $150 = 3 classes a week; $175 = unlimited classes a week.
Sorry, no Filipino stuff.

I have never heard of that Pure MMA place. But, I pretty much know everyone in the sambo community in NY and I never heard of them. They don't list instructors on their website it seems...red flag IMO. They also look like they want to offer everything...another red flag. Could be a great place...but, based on the website alone, I would choose one of the many other great places in NYC.

Has anyone heard of them?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply SamboSteve. Unfortunately, I can't afford $175 a month for unlimited training right now.

I was hoping to find a place that offers unlimited training for at or around $150 a month.

Yeah, I'm not sure about DeRosa Pure MMA. I am going to try out a class on Thursday and see how it is.

I thought the whole point of an MMA gym/school was to offer everything.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the reply SamboSteve. Unfortunately, I can't afford $175 a month for unlimited training right now.

I was hoping to find a place that offers unlimited training for at or around $150 a month.

Yeah, I'm not sure about DeRosa Pure MMA. I am going to try out a class on Thursday and see how it is.

I thought the whole point of an MMA gym/school was to offer everything.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The point of an MMA gym is not to offer you everthing. It is to prepare you for MMA...not the same thing. Here's the thing. If you have a huge space and lots of coaches, maybe you can offer everything. But, you can't tell from their website. And, generally in life, nobody can offer everything without something suffering. The other thing is that if you try to train everything simultaneously, you won't be great at anything. But, if you find out who the coaches are, keep me posted. I would like to know who they have teaching sambo.

Unlimited for $150 in NYC? Good luck. Let us know if you find it and where it is.

BTW, you can also check out the New York Combat Sambo group on facebook...

Last edited:
I just recently moved from NYC and was training at Evolution MT -- I can't speak highly enough about the gym, people, training etc.

The owner/head trainer, Brandon Levi, used to train MT at Fighthouse and is an overall great guy and coach/instructor. In terms of space, I always felt like there was plenty of space and it wasn't cramped, but perhaps the gym has been growing since I left...I'm not sure.

In terms of how much the MT, BJJ and Wrestling are mixed together etc...they are all separate training sessions, but the BJJ and Wrestling are specifically geared towards MMA application. Additionally, if you are interested in actually training to compete, I know that all the trainers will go out of their way to make sure you are learning and practicing the things you need to know/do.

I highly recommend at least taking a trial class or two to give it a shot.

I'm not from NYC or the NY area but isnt Renzo Gracie has a place in NYC. I would go there

I'm not from NYC or the NY area but isnt Renzo Gracie has a place in NYC. I would go there

Sure, it's possibly the biggest BJJ school in the country if you go by number of students. But it's much more than 150 per month, and they don't have pure MMA classes. Unless you're an advanced student, then they'll help you train for MMA.

Back