Mma points: couture/noons etc.

Victory alla Clay Guida

xakly. frankly i was surprised Clay lost the Maynard bout; not because i thought he should have won or should have lost (by the 3rd round i simply didn't care anymore who won & lost) but simply because i thought i had the judges pegged.

The difference is Garcia gets badly out struck by his opponents

Fight metric shows couture landed more round 1 And noons 2 and 3.....but round 3 couture's aggression and throwing more won out over the 1 exra punch noons landed

didn't know that. the Showtime #'s were very, very different than that (though they didn't break it down round by round). which is why i don't put much stock in these shots-landed sites.

The point is that each individual judge adds up their own scores to judge a fight, so if one fighter gets 2 10-9 rounds and the other fighter wins the 3rd 10-8, for that judge the fight is a draw 28-28.

If another judge also scores it the same, 28-28, the fight is draw and it doesn't matter if the 3rd judge scored it all 10-9 rounds for 29-28. The points are added up for each individual judge, and their individual outcomes are not added up all together in the end.

Here's a question though

Is it scored a draw if judges score it like this

A) 30-30
B) 30-27
C)27-30

I know they don't do 10-10 rounds in ufc but they CAN can't they?

my brother thought he did, just by activity alone. he's no mma fan, but he had Showtime, heh.

and the decision didn't surprise me. at all. that's just the way of it. the fighter that "looks" more active often steals rounds. i stopped being surprised when i found out that one judge gave edgar round 1 and 2 judges gave him round 2 in BJ I (regardless of the fact Edgar clearly won rounds 4-10).

due to historical analysis, i've had to readjust my expectations.

True but I just thought it was so damn blatent that Couture was wiffing on everything and Noons was landing solid shots. But it didn't help that the announcers seemed hell bent on hyping up Couture. It was actually embarrassing watching it.

Here's a question though

Is it scored a draw if judges score it like this

A) 30-30
B) 30-27
C)27-30

I know they don't do 10-10 rounds in ufc but they CAN can't they?

Yea that would be a split draw. Frankie/Maynard 2 was like this, 48-46, 46-48, 47-47.

I see why you have double yellows with trolling like that!

I actually have dubs cuz I said "forrest griffin sucks. get over it"

but if you look at the fight metric numbers Couture also won

Round 1

Couture
14 of 38

Noons
11 of 30

Round 2

Couture
13 of 50

Noons
23 of 55

Round 3

Couture
17 of 62

Noons
18 of 43

if I hadn't watched the fight and looked purely at the numbers Couture wins 29-28

It can be the difference in big fights, forcing a draw or squeaking out a victory. 10-8s reward a dominating round by giving a fighter a big edge on scorecards. How is that hard to grasp.

Also lol@ Viper, don't quote MMA junkie, look at the other bunch of fights who called the fight for Noons, the ratio is about 10-1 in favour of Noons.

Couture was clearly the more aggressive fighter

The landed strikes were virtually identical from what I saw

From where did u see the fight? From Mars? Couture lost the fight at least in the ring but he won the judges table , there is not explanation about the point system , the aggressiveness , the father or whatever, he lost plain and simple, instead he got a W in his record

From where did u see the fight? From Mars? Couture lost the fight at least in the ring but he won the judges table , there is not explanation about the point system , the aggressiveness , the father or whatever, he lost plain and simple, instead he got a W in his record

please see stats on previous page

Couture won rounds 1 and 3

please see stats on previous page

Couture won rounds 1 and 3

and as i suggested on the previous page, the #'s by Showtime's version of fightfinder were vastly different. that's why things like fightfinder are interesting, at best, but certainly not end-all-be-all.

here are several sites that had Noons winning in the PBP:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...ne-live-results-play-by-play-showtime-extreme
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St...laybyPlay-Updates-48933#ryan-couture-kj-noons

basing your opinion on fightfinder is rookish noob material, at best. did you even watch the fight?

in other words, get over yourself. while i find it absolutely fascinating that you are just intelligent enough to find fightfinder on a web browser, that's about all you've really managed to let us know.

and as i suggested on the previous page, the #'s by Showtime's version of fightfinder were vastly different. that's why things like fightfinder are interesting, at best, but certainly not end-all-be-all.

here are several sites that had Noons winning in the PBP:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...ne-live-results-play-by-play-showtime-extreme
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/St...laybyPlay-Updates-48933#ryan-couture-kj-noons

basing your opinion on fightfinder is rookish noob material, at best. did you even watch the fight?

in other words, get over yourself. while i find it absolutely fascinating that you are just intelligent enough to find fightfinder on a web browser, that's about all you've really managed to let us know.

I have watched the fight

and like I said I think it was easy win for Couture

There's no way you can give Noons anything other than round 2. It was a close fight but if you must give a winner each round Couture wins round 1 and 3. Being the more agressive fighter in a fight where everything else is even makes you the winner

10-10 rounds should be given when there isn't a clear winner.

For example diaz-DHK should have been 29-29. One round a piece with the other one being a 10-10 due to DHK just laying on Nate and trying to control him while Diaz threw subs and what not from the bottom.

Adding the points up like that wouldn't work with the 10 point must system.

I mean its a "idea" but would have to change shit to make it work.

Last edited:
I actually have dubs cuz I said "forrest griffin sucks. get over it"

but if you look at the fight metric numbers Couture also won

Round 1

Couture
14 of 38

Noons
11 of 30

Round 2

Couture
13 of 50

Noons
23 of 55

Round 3

Couture
17 of 62

Noons
18 of 43

if I hadn't watched the fight and looked purely at the numbers Couture wins 29-28

By those numbers Noons landed more overall and in two rounds.

I have watched the fight

and like I said I think it was easy win for Couture

There's no way you can give Noons anything other than round 2. It was a close fight but if you must give a winner each round Couture wins round 1 and 3. Being the more agressive fighter in a fight where everything else is even makes you the winner

You're highlighting your error here, 'being aggressive' =\= 'effective aggression'. That's your mistake. Plenty of guys press forward only to get countered, like Couture, that isn't a valid criteria for judging a fight. Also I'd like to add that the strike numbers were quite close, but the degree of damage sustained by each fighter was different.

then what's the point of giving fighters 10-8 rounds as opposed to 10-9 rounds?

You add the points for each round within the judges scorecard.

IE if there is a dominant round with knock downs score a 10 - 8. If the fighters that got knocked down squeaked out two close rounds with little damage 10 - 9 then the fight is a draw on the on that judges scorecard, even though one fighter won two rounds and the other only won one.

Back