Mma points: couture/noons etc.

FLomega

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Despite the noons/couture decision being bs, i noticed the scores didnt add up. Arent the totals supposed to be added at the end. 29-28 twice for couture, then 30-27 for kj. So kj had 86 to ryans 85. Or am i completely wrong about the scoring system? If so wuts the point in giving points? No pun intended

I have always been pretty sure it was just judged by rounds and have never even thought about it being by points until now. I think the points are there for deductions and dominating rounds to help prevent draws I guess

You are completely wrong

2 judges gave the fight to couture
1 judge to noons

2>1

Also couture won the fight anyways

You are completely wrong

1 judge to noons

2>1

Also couture won the fight anyways

correct. that's why there's 3 judges so it can't be a a draw.. unless a judge scores it a draw.. somehow..

You are completely wrong

1 judge to noons

2>1

You dont add the points to determine who won the fight. As long as two judges gave you the fight, then you win. Hence, there are 3 Judges.

Despite the noons/couture decision being bs, i noticed the scores didnt add up. Arent the totals supposed to be added at the end. 29-28 twice for couture, then 30-27 for kj. So kj had 86 to ryans 85. Or am i completely wrong about the scoring system? If so wuts the point in giving points? No pun intended

I thought the exact same thing, why have a point system whereby a round is decided by whoever gets the most points, and then at the end of the fight the guy who ends up with the most points LOSES! lol

2 vs. 1 judge, not adding of points.

And yes, KJ obviously should have won that fight...

You dont add the points to determine who won the fight. As long as two judges gave you the fight, then you win. Hence, there are 3 Judges.

then what's the point of giving fighters 10-8 rounds as opposed to 10-9 rounds?

He's saying you dont add the points from all the judges together. You add the points from each individual judge to see who that judge has picked to win the fight.

You lose three rounds wih 10-9, make an epic comeback and get two 10-8 rounds for yourself - and judge says you win the fight 47-46, even though you have won only two rounds out of five.

Situation I've described is artificial, but you get my drift, right?

You lose three rounds wih 10-9, make an epic comeback and get two 10-8 rounds for yourself - and judge says you win the fight 47-46, even though you have won only two rounds out of five.

Yea, that judge gave you the fight, but there are still two other judges. If one of them scores it the same, then you won the fight.

I have always been pretty sure it was just judged by rounds and have never even thought about it being by points until now. I think the points are there for deductions and dominating rounds to help prevent draws I guess

no, not judged by rounds. That's why buffer says "Judge X scored the fight 29-28 fighter A". Key phrase: Scored the FIGHT.

Because even though they don't add up all 3 judges points together at the end of the fight, the judges still add up their individual scores from each round to determine who they thought won the fight, so a 10-8 round would heavily influence who they thought won, & the fight is ultimately decided by 2 judges to 1, despite what the 3 judges accumulative points add up to.

no, not judged by rounds. That's why buffer says "Judge X scored the fight 29-28 fighter A". Key phrase: Scored the FIGHT.

I can't believe how many people don't understand the 10point must system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-point_must_system#Scoring

With regards to the comment I'm quoting, you're incorrect. While a number of organizations in Japan judge the fight as a whole, the unified rules that The UFC employ score fights round by round.

Or in a real situation

Bj vs Fitch

Bj wins first 2 rounds and then takes an epic beating in the 3rd which is scored 10-8 so the fight ends up being a 28-28 draw

Back