MMA People, i fewel your pain.

yomon said:
well it's not so bad today, i think the reason this made me almost die last night was because it was more like the last straw that broke the camels back syndrome. Before last night i had been working out dialy rotating tabbata's and plyometrics, so i was already pretty much cooked when i got to the class. The class on top of it all just about finnished me off.

I don't remember much from the last portion of the grappling session because i mostly running off of pure adrenalin. I was actualy on an adrenalin high untill about 6 in the morning, needless to say i missed work today.

Suprizingly i'm not to overly sore today, just some wierd muscles that don't get worked too often in my regular workouts like calves, fronts of my forearms, the very back of my shoulders and some back muscles. Oh and the back of my neck from that damn head control in the clinch

Dude I feel you on the neck pain, first free-style practice of the season always tears my neck up. Everything else sounds pretty familiar too. I started lifting heavy this week and thought I'd try some clean and jerks Monday.......I rediscovered quite a few muscles Tuesday.... Cheers to all my fellow masochists! bring on the pain

lol..welcome to my world..its a good pain though

bacon said:
Dude I feel you on the neck pain, first free-style practice of the season always tears my neck up. Everything else sounds pretty familiar too. I started lifting heavy this week and thought I'd try some clean and jerks Monday.......I rediscovered quite a few muscles Tuesday.... Cheers to all my fellow masochists! bring on the pain

oh yeah! I love adrenalin highs, i can't wait for my next class on monday, skipped today because of lack of mobility and to take a chance to rocover.

Nothing works your neck like resisting while someone tries to tear your head off, it's great.

Wait till you get thai kicked or receive a brutal hook/cross.

I've done both grappeling and kickboxing on the same night and it can be brutal depending on the intensity of the classes. I remember doing kickboxing and then heading over to grappeling. We wrestled live all night and I remember being in some extremely intense matches. I went home shaking and had to immediatly jump in the cold shower. My fiance had to help me undress because I was so shakey i seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack. After the shower I would have a Myoplex shake and then go to bed in order to wake up and head to my job at the moving company. Those were some tough days. I put my body through hell. Im starting to pay for it now though.

I agree johnny. I don't think their is any substitute for neck workouts than clinch drills or head and arm drills not to mention just pure wrestling. No exercise touches wrestling when it comes to building a strong neck IMO.

at my old gym, it was 7-10 PM, and we used to do straight up mma that entire time...

we did maybe a 20 minute warm up, and then never slowed down at all. we went full tilt that entire time....

i would get home, and i was so destroyed that i couldn't get to sleep. i'd sit in ice baths for 15 minutes and i still hurt the next morning...

i remember one night, we did 3 minutes thai pads, then 1 minute rest, and then grappled full speed 5 minutes, then repeat. we did this 8 or 9 times that night, and one of our regulars walked out. we were training so hard that night, that i couldn't carry on a conversation with my partners. same thing with the guy that left, he just fucking had it. there is no reason to train like that. big loss to the team, but i finally wised up about 3 months later. he would drive us to near heat exhaustion. some nights, i'd be so tired that i felt sick the next morning...

well, we produced some pro's from that gym that are doing really well now though, but they hauled ass from him eventually. i just had surgery on my shoulder and i think that it is b/c of him...

tabata and sprinting workouts are not the way to train. sprint and do tabata sure, but you have to run long distance too. i hope you learned that from your training that night...

fuck, we once did heavy bag round with strength shoes on...

dude, there's been nights that i thought i was going to have a heart attack in there...

some nights i thought we were approaching the danger zone man. that fucker was an animal to us...

and the worst part is, he wouldn't do anything with us...

so he'd sit there and yell at us...

if we didn't win tournies, he wouldn't want to talk to us about it...

if you missed class b/c you have a life outside of practice, he'd get pissed at you and thrash you...

needless to say, i can kick everyone's ass in that class right now, and he actually had to close it down about 3 weeks ago...

sounds like fun, heres what i did yesterday:

5am : quick warm up and calisthenics circuit, jog up to the track, some light plyometric, balance and agility drills, 5 x hillsprints, 5 x 400m sprints with 1 min rest.

7am- 4pm Work (labouring)

5:30pm : Light warm up, sparred 3 rounds K1 rules with a pro kickboxer training for a fight.
6 - 7pm: Shootboxing, working technique, ground fighting, thai clinch, shoots and sprawls
7 - 8pm: Boxing, a few rounds of pad work, 8 x 2min rounds of sparring with 30 second rest.

Polynikes said:
at my old gym, it was 7-10 PM, and we used to do straight up mma that entire time...

we did maybe a 20 minute warm up, and then never slowed down at all. we went full tilt that entire time....

i would get home, and i was so destroyed that i couldn't get to sleep. i'd sit in ice baths for 15 minutes and i still hurt the next morning...

i remember one night, we did 3 minutes thai pads, then 1 minute rest, and then grappled full speed 5 minutes, then repeat. we did this 8 or 9 times that night, and one of our regulars walked out. we were training so hard that night, that i couldn't carry on a conversation with my partners. same thing with the guy that left, he just fucking had it. there is no reason to train like that. big loss to the team, but i finally wised up about 3 months later. he would drive us to near heat exhaustion. some nights, i'd be so tired that i felt sick the next morning...

well, we produced some pro's from that gym that are doing really well now though, but they hauled ass from him eventually. i just had surgery on my shoulder and i think that it is b/c of him...

tabata and sprinting workouts are not the way to train. sprint and do tabata sure, but you have to run long distance too. i hope you learned that from your training that night...

fuck, we once did heavy bag round with strength shoes on...
your coach sounds like an idiot.

rickdog said:

he obviously wasn't a beliveer in balancing hard work and rest. I think that is the only reason why we only have 4 days a week.

rickdog said:

he was...

that's why we left, and his school is no longer in business...

on the plus side, he's coached about 50 + national champs in tae kwon do...

i didn't do tkd, so don't try to make fun of me you fuckers!!!!!

This reminds me of the time I tried to do boxing and Muay Thai back to back. I've always been a boxer and I trained really hard at it but there came a time when I wanted to try thai boxing as well. A MT coach came by our gym one day and asked if any of us wanted to train with him after our regular workout so I thought "what the hell?" I swear I almost puked in the ring and was on the verge of tears towards the end.

Polynikes said:
he was...

that's why we left, and his school is no longer in business...

on the plus side, he's coached about 50 + national champs in tae kwon do...

i didn't do tkd, so don't try to make fun of me you fuckers!!!!!
Are you sure you don't do TKD?????:HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYA, thats what your supposed to scream on you crescent kick.

rickdog said:
Are you sure you don't do TKD?????:HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYA, thats what your supposed to scream on you crescent kick.

yeah dude...

i'm sure...

Wow, I was just gonna make a thread similar to this. I was gonna ask...HOW THE HELL DO YOU LIFT AND NOT EFFECT YOUR MMA TRAINING?!?!?

Yesterday was upper body II for me, chest, delts, triceps, abs....and in Muay Thai class my delts were absolutly destroyed. I could barely even hold the jump rope up. Even during pad work when I was the one HOLDING the pads I was dying cuz my delts were shot! PUshups are usually a walk in the park for me, but last night were giving me trouble. Not to mention my lower back and hamstrings were destroyed from deadlift day.

My current schedule is this, and I dont know that I can keep doing it and train MMA at the same time.

Monday: UPPER BODY I
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: DEADLIFT/BACK
THursday: UPPER BODY II @ 1PM......THEN MUAY THAI @ 8PM
FRIDAY: LOWERBODY
SATURDAY: OFF
SUNDAY: MMA

yomon said:
So today was my first class of MMA at team tompkins

I decided to do the hour of kickboxing and also stay for the hour of Grapling and OMG!

I havn't been in this much pain for a while. I started with 20 min of jumprope, moved to technique drills with jabs crosses and knees. This was followed by the most brutal ab exercises session i have ever had in my life. Crunches, side crunches, bicycles, leg raises, and V ups, with no rest between each set.

Then i moved onto the grapling hour. Which consisted entirely of head controll in the clinch. After getting instuction on it and testing it out on eachother we had a clinch last man standing and ofcourse with my luck i went last and got the bigest guy in the ring. Held my own and almost had him a few times, but the fatiuge got to me and i got submitted. Once we were done that we moved instantly into 50 bodywieght squats, 50 crunches, 50 pushups and 100 jumping jacks. After all this i colapsed out of the ring and hobbled on home.

GOOD GAWD! Just reliving that in my mind makes me wana puke. Nothing but respect for anyone who trains kickboxing and grapling in the same night daily!

I'm still shaky as i type this, but i think i can die happy now :icon_twis

EDIT: i now undestand where you guys get those killer calves from, that 20 min of jumprope turned mine to jello. When i left at the end of the night i could barly walk.

wait until you start sparring with Chris. that kid's a bloody nightmare.

Yeah i've done some grappling with him, kids really good. Hope i can learn alot from him.

Back