MMA People, i fewel your pain.

yomon

Green Belt
Reaction score
So today was my first class of MMA at team tompkins

I decided to do the hour of kickboxing and also stay for the hour of Grapling and OMG!

I havn't been in this much pain for a while. I started with 20 min of jumprope, moved to technique drills with jabs crosses and knees. This was followed by the most brutal ab exercises session i have ever had in my life. Crunches, side crunches, bicycles, leg raises, and V ups, with no rest between each set.

Then i moved onto the grapling hour. Which consisted entirely of head controll in the clinch. After getting instuction on it and testing it out on eachother we had a clinch last man standing and ofcourse with my luck i went last and got the bigest guy in the ring. Held my own and almost had him a few times, but the fatiuge got to me and i got submitted. Once we were done that we moved instantly into 50 bodywieght squats, 50 crunches, 50 pushups and 100 jumping jacks. After all this i colapsed out of the ring and hobbled on home.

GOOD GAWD! Just reliving that in my mind makes me wana puke. Nothing but respect for anyone who trains kickboxing and grapling in the same night daily!

I'm still shaky as i type this, but i think i can die happy now :icon_twis

EDIT: i now undestand where you guys get those killer calves from, that 20 min of jumprope turned mine to jello. When i left at the end of the night i could barly walk.

hehe, and that's only the beginner's class right?

Now you know why my lifting has suffered so much. After training, it's hard to find energy and time to do weights at all, let alone a good solid session with enough volume

Please, allow me to be the first to so, VOLUMO NO REDUSSIMO!!!!

Goddamn carnal

I've dedicated two days a week to STRENGTH training, so can you read the thread and post in it? I've been nurturing it so it doesn't die off the first page but I still have unanswered questions in it

cool yomon, now you know why it's so hard for us fighters to get our butts in the weight room

johnnydussimo said:
Now you know why my lifting has suffered so much. After training, it's hard to find energy and time to do weights at all, let alone a good solid session with enough volume
lift first.

Fight_Song said:
lift first.

I train in the morning, so I'd have to get up REAL early to lift first. Plus it would mean I couldn't get the necessary recovery, like contrast shower + meal straight after.

It's okay, now I've got two days where I only have to lift

Zeirhk said:
hehe, and that's only the beginner's class right?

Not really it was the only day that they jam everybody from every skill level into the one class

You left out the part about you liking to suck weinahs. And I say it like that, because that's how Lou woudl say it. Weeeeeenah.

Alright I'll let you guys in on how much a pussy I am.

I took a tweakwondo class, well it was practically Kickboxing. I couldn't complete the class, It was "A bit too intense" for me. Hahahhaa. I'm serious.

The instructor was a 7 time kickboxing champ though. I quit that class, had no interest, I wanted to learn plain Muay Thai. Now I just lift lol.

I sympathise with you, I've got 2 hours Judo back to back with 2 hours Sombo on thursdays and the same with Vale tudo and judo on saturdays, only way i can get my classes in with a lifting routine.

Been doing bjj plus weights and a mma class and man im 100% fucked! i dont no how people fit it all in!

johnnydussimo said:

Same with me, only I get up and go to work, come home for an hour, go train, too tired to lift after training.

johnnydussimo said:
Goddamn carnal

I've dedicated two days a week to STRENGTH training, so can you read the thread and post in it? I've been nurturing it so it doesn't die off the first page but I still have unanswered questions in it

Haha, I hate when that happens. I usually want to start a thread that is titled YOOO CCCAAARRNNAAALL!!!!

Zeirhk said:
Alright I'll let you guys in on how much a pussy I am.

I took a tweakwondo class, well it was practically Kickboxing. I couldn't complete the class, It was "A bit too intense" for me. Hahahhaa. I'm serious.

The instructor was a 7 time kickboxing champ though. I quit that class, had no interest, I wanted to learn plain Muay Thai. Now I just lift lol.

Zeirhk, if you have the opportunity you should try bjj. I do some pad, bag work and sparring but I do more bjj. It just appeals to me a little more. We mix it up at are school but are more bjj oriented. We also have classes for kickboxing. Many of us do both but almost everyone, at least slightly, prefers one over the other.

You guys are lucky: you all have MMA gyms and can train in multiple practical styles.

Some of us just want to learn Sambo or BJJ, and maybe some MMA...

...sad...

yomon said:
So today was my first class of MMA at team tompkins

I decided to do the hour of kickboxing and also stay for the hour of Grapling and OMG!

I havn't been in this much pain for a while. I started with 20 min of jumprope, moved to technique drills with jabs crosses and knees. This was followed by the most brutal ab exercises session i have ever had in my life. Crunches, side crunches, bicycles, leg raises, and V ups, with no rest between each set.

Then i moved onto the grapling hour. Which consisted entirely of head controll in the clinch. After getting instuction on it and testing it out on eachother we had a clinch last man standing and ofcourse with my luck i went last and got the bigest guy in the ring. Held my own and almost had him a few times, but the fatiuge got to me and i got submitted. Once we were done that we moved instantly into 50 bodywieght squats, 50 crunches, 50 pushups and 100 jumping jacks. After all this i colapsed out of the ring and hobbled on home.

GOOD GAWD! Just reliving that in my mind makes me wana puke. Nothing but respect for anyone who trains kickboxing and grapling in the same night daily!

I'm still shaky as i type this, but i think i can die happy now :icon_twis

EDIT: i now undestand where you guys get those killer calves from, that 20 min of jumprope turned mine to jello. When i left at the end of the night i could barly walk.

The moral of this story is: "It is easier to stay in shape, than it is to get back into shape."

I'm not questioning your shapedness, but I've tried getting off the couch (after months of inactivity) and grappling, and I've tried grappling while in shape. Waking up after option one sucks Weeeeenah, as carnal put it. The challenge is to stay at or near that level so you never have to experience that initial shock again......good luck with that.

thats exactly why ive decided to train year round. not mention, my body goes nuts if i stop being active.

bacon said:
The moral of this story is: "It is easier to stay in shape, than it is to get back into shape."

I'm not questioning your shapedness, but I've tried getting off the couch (after months of inactivity) and grappling, and I've tried grappling while in shape. Waking up after option one sucks Weeeeenah, as carnal put it. The challenge is to stay at or near that level so you never have to experience that initial shock again......good luck with that.

well it's not so bad today, i think the reason this made me almost die last night was because it was more like the last straw that broke the camels back syndrome. Before last night i had been working out dialy rotating tabbata's and plyometrics, so i was already pretty much cooked when i got to the class. The class on top of it all just about finnished me off.

I don't remember much from the last portion of the grappling session because i mostly running off of pure adrenalin. I was actualy on an adrenalin high untill about 6 in the morning, needless to say i missed work today.

Suprizingly i'm not to overly sore today, just some wierd muscles that don't get worked too often in my regular workouts like calves, fronts of my forearms, the very back of my shoulders and some back muscles. Oh and the back of my neck from that damn head control in the clinch

Back