MMA novice looking for advice on buying heavy bag

zoneslayer

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to get a heavy bag for my exercise room. I honestly do not really know how to start. I assume I would need extra support installed on the ceiling for a hanging bag. I like a hanging bag much better, but have not used a freestanding bag very much.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, being inexperienced and mainly wanting a heavybag for exercise? I am 6'2, 260 pounds.

I would just run a 2x4 or 2x6 across a 2 or 3 ceiling\floor joists and then mount the hanging bracket to that 2x4 or 2x6 and you should be fine. I would get at least a 100lbs bag for your size.

What is your budget? Is it for Boxing or Muay Thai? And, do you live in USA? Those three questions will really help people give you better answers.

:icon_chee

What is your budget? Is it for Boxing or Muay Thai? And, do you live in USA? Those three questions will really help people give you better answers.

Boxing primarily. I live in the US. budget of around $200. Would probably prefer to go cheaper but I really want to get something that will work well for me.

Title offers a Thai bag for $90 that seems legit: lots of positive reviews. That's $120 shipped. If Title is still out of stock than they'll give a discount on their leather Thai bag.

The KO Fightgear bag came out to $250 for me.

Boxing primarily. I live in the US. budget of around $200. Would probably prefer to go cheaper but I really want to get something that will work well for me.

Top choices for a longer style Muay Thai bag out there are the Fairtex HB6, and the KO Fightgear bags in either 100 or 130 lbs. Best bargain Muay Thai bag goes to the Title Classic Banana Bag at under $100.00.

For a Western style boxing bag your best bet would probably be one from Ringside Boxing or Title Boxing. They have numerous models, and unfortunately I am not really familiar with many of them. Just a quick note, IMHO, I would try to avoid any of the Big Box Local Sporting Goods Store, Everlast bags as the fill consistency and quality is generally problem laden. What you ultimately wind up spending and "saving" on one of those bags, quickly turns into money that you wasted on a low quality bag, that could have been spent on a better quality bag.

Top choices for a longer style Muay Thai bag out there are the Fairtex HB6, and the KO Fightgear bags in either 100 or 130 lbs. Best bargain Muay Thai bag goes to the Title Classic Banana Bag at under $100.00.

For a Western style boxing bag your best bet would probably be one from Ringside Boxing or Title Boxing. They have numerous models, and unfortunately I am not really familiar with many of them. Just a quick note, IMHO, I would try to avoid any of the Big Box Local Sporting Goods Store, Everlast bags as the fill consistency and quality is generally problem laden. What you ultimately wind up spending and "saving" on one of those bags, quickly turns into money that you wasted on a low quality bag, that could have been spent on a better quality bag.

Thanks guys!! Really appreciate the advice.

Back