MMA Myths "Dan Hooker was Destroyed by Barboza!"

Ragnus

K-1 Heavyweight Champion
@Green
Reaction score
I've been seeing this myth brought up a lot and I'm not accusing anyone in particular of bringing up such myth but it has to stop.

This fight had competitive moments, the significant strikes were 126 to 81, and head strikes 71 to 59 both in Barboza's favour but these aren't lopsided statistics. Yes, Dan lost to the better man but he gave Barboza a few licks at the same time.

I saw this fight similar to how Gaethje did against Alvarez and Poirier, he lost by finish but showed enough to prove he could get to that elite level one day.

Much like Gaethje Dan Hooker came back by finishing Vick in the 1st round and will go on to get much more victories.

Dan Hooker will become world champion mark my words!

WAR THE HANGMAN!
20151003080714_5D3_2411.JPG

Uhh Gaethje put Alvarez and Poirier through hell before getting finished, he rocked both of them at points and both of them had trouble walking from the leg kicks. Hooker was just taking an absolute beating, and did no real damage to Barboza, regardless of what your numbers prove to you.

I love the Hangman but you don't need to outright lie to make the point that he's awesome. That speaks for itself.

Yeah he took a beating but he was game for sure. He definitely landed some good offense on Barboza, not a bad loss at all imo and feel that the result will be different if they meet again down the road. He has improved at a rapid pace since his UFC debut.

I like Hooker and hope he does well but the Barboza beating was way more one sided than Gaethjes fights. Barbosa was on point in the Hooker fight. I thought he would gas but nope he landed the harder shots and pretty much destroyed Hooker.

When Hookers legs were gone it came more one sided by the second:

After the first round he was slaughtered.

Uhh Gaethje put Alvarez and Poirier through hell before getting finished, he rocked both of them at points and both of them had trouble walking from the leg kicks. Hooker was just taking an absolute beating, and did no real damage to Barboza, regardless of what your numbers prove to you.

I love the Hangman but you don't need to outright lie to make the point that he's awesome. That speaks for itself.
I agree halfway with this -- I certainly don't feel that stats always have much truth to them and for sure Gadthje put Alvarez and Poirier through some adversity (more so than Hooker did Barboza), but I feel that Hooker acquitted himself admirably and landed some good offense. I reckon it's simply a matter of perception-- we won't all see fights the same. Perhaps neither of us are wrong and we simply value things differently.

His corner completely failed him for like 5 minutes of fight time or so. I refuse to watch it again to determine exactly how much of that was unnecessary.

You're out of your mind. Barboza absolutely destroyed him. That was one of the worst beatdowns of the year.

Big fan of Hooker, but I didn't see the fight like that. Dan managed to stay competitive throughout but he definitely got worked over pretty good. I'll never forget those body shots...

tumblr_pp6kps4N4f1r7vh24o1_500.gif

dan-hooker-ufc-on-fox-31-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been seeing this myth brought up a lot and I'm not accusing anyone in particular of bringing up such myth but it has to stop.

This fight had competitive moments, the significant strikes were 126 to 81, and head strikes 71 to 59 both in Barboza's favour but these aren't lopsided statistics. Yes, Dan lost to the better man but he gave Barboza a few licks at the same time.

I saw this fight similar to how Gaethje did against Alvarez and Poirier, he lost by finish but showed enough to prove he could get to that elite level one day.

Much like Gaethje Dan Hooker came back by finishing Vick in the 1st round and will go on to get much more victories.

WAR THE HANGMAN!
Just because numbers aren't lopsided doesn't mean the effects of those strikes in real life didn't make it clearly lopsided.

Hooker himself says Barboza absolutely beat his ass so I don't think it can be considered a myth.

Great comeback last night though and always a fun fighter to watch.

Nah its not a myth , Besides the first round which was ocmpetitive but a clear Barboza round as i can remember the other part was clearly a beatdown.
Barboza boxed him up , destroyed his legs , and wrecked his body. It was a complete domination.

I like Dan but he absolutely got destroyed by Edson. It was turning into the kind of beating that can take years off or your career. He’s a tough SOB though and I’m glad he got the win Saturday.

Dude forget the numbers, those full power spinning back kicks? Fuck

"Barboza landed 127 strikes before the fight came to an end."
"Hooker said the two significant injuries he sustained in that fight were a broken orbital bone and a concussion. "

"Not long after that, he realized the medical staff had some concerns about his condition and that he was not going to make his flight early the next morning.2

Yeah... myth..

I want Dan Hangman to get fight Al Iaquinta but he got destroyed by Edson

Dude he got absolutely wrecked. Didn’t mean he was helpless, but he got fuckin wreckedddddd

Lol what? I rarely see fighters take the type of damage Hooker took against Barboza. That was brutal.

Hooker is a stud and i think he will be top 10 for a while once he breaks in but theres no need to deny that he got his butt pounded

WAR THE HANGMAN!

He landed some stuff but no one is going to remember that. All they remember is Barbosa making him piss blood, and for good reason

Back