MMA model has problems?

UFC can only match up the best fighters who are under contract to them. Like the original post said 3 of the top 5 heavyweights are not in the UFC. So it is not possible to fight all the top fighters.

Alot of the MMA orgs have belts too but none of the fighters with belts ever fight eachother. For instance Chuck and Wanderlei should have had their fight when they were both champions. Instead we and they had to wait for Pride to go under so UFC could sign Wanderlei. By that time both guys had lost 2 straight and the fight was not as marketable or as anticipated as it once was.

In boxing there is really 3 real belts the IBF, WBA and WBC. There are guys in multiple divisions that have more then one title or all 3 major belts.

I know...lol
But the belts in boxing are pointless. There should be one path to the championship of each division. That's where the ufc has it over boxing. To be the man, you have to beat the man... in boxing you get to choose which man you think you stand the best chance against within your division. If that weren't enough theres too many divisions.

I know...lol
But the belts in boxing are pointless. There should be one path to the championship of each division. That's where the ufc has it over boxing. To be the man, you have to beat the man... in boxing you get to choose which man you think you stand the best chance against within your division. If that weren't enough theres too many divisions.

I agree but in MMA there are too many organizations.

Obviously, the UFC has the best fighters in the sport but when you have 6-7 MW, WW, HW, LW, LHW champions in different organizations it somewhat devalues the importance of each belt.

In boxing, I believe their are too many weight classes but the lighter weight classes absolutely need alot of weight classes because weight in those divisions can be the difference between a win or a loss.

I think we should scrap some of the weight classes in the higher weights but that will never happen. Too much money at stake.

3 lbs seperate some of the divisions which is just rediculous imo. Fewer weight divisions would prevent giant fighters like Gatti, Corrales. etc from sapping their bodies so that can take advantage of naturally smaller fighters.

If ever we need more divisions, it would be in the 200+ weight class. I think there should be a super heavy division that cuts off at 235 since we have so many giant fighters these days.

3 lbs seperate some of the divisions which is just rediculous imo. Fewer weight divisions would prevent giant fighters like Gatti, Corrales. etc from sapping their bodies so that can take advantage of naturally smaller fighters.

If ever we need more divisions, it would be in the 200+ weight class. I think there should be a super heavy division that cuts off at 235 since we have so many giant fighters these days.

3lbs is a bit ridicilous in my opinion. But 5-6lbs in between the lighter weight classes would be fine with me and is essential in my opinion. Im talking strawweight, bantamweight etc.

Id love to see a superheavyweight division as well.

And you're right, some fighters cut alot of weight to get a size advantage over smaller fighters. But virtually everybody does that so its not really the much of an advantage if everybody does it.

went to another mma event tonight. Strikeforce/Elite XC at the Tank...it was a room of ADD. I saw the most doublefisting since college. Lots of youngsters. Its going to take a creative plan/model to get MMA really rollin. The market is really tricky.

no way in hell 16,000 people were there. my boys and i guessed 9-10k

The numbers don't lie, this show was a huge success. From mmajunkie.com

Saturday's event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., drew 15,192 attendees (14,710 paid) for a total live gate of $1,117,855.

The total disclosed payroll for the show was $667,850.

The full amounts included:

* Cung Le ($200,000) def. Frank Shamrock ($300,000)
* Drew Fickett ($10,000) def. Jae S. Lim ($3,000)
* Gilbert Melendez ($50,000) def. Gabe Lemley ($7,000)
* Wayne Cole ($10,000) def. Mike Kyle ($10,000)
* Joey Villasenor ($36,000) def. Ryan Jensen ($6,000)
* Billy Evangelista ($10,000) def Marlon Sims ($2,500)
* Tiki Ghosn ($8,000) def. Luke Stewart ($6,000)
* Darren Uyenoyama ($4,000) def. Anthony Figueroa ($2,000)
* Jesse Jones ($2,150) def. Jesse Gillespie ($1,200)

"Win" bonuses went to Fickett ($5,000), Cole ($5,000), Villasenor ($18,000), Evangelista ($5,000) Ghosn ($2,000), Uyenoyama ($2,000) and Jones ($500).

It will be a long time before someone can devise a structure were the UFC is happy with putting on fights with different orgs fighters.

The UFC will want the sole broadcasting rights, their rule system, a majority of the incoming money, etc...

I seem to remember that the Tyson/Lewis extravaganza took a little more doing to put together. Tyson being with howtime and Lewis being with HBO. Boxing may not be too much better, but bringing big fights together is big money overall...

The numbers don't lie, this show was a huge success. From mmajunkie.com

Saturday's event, which took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., drew 15,192 attendees (14,710 paid) for a total live gate of $1,117,855.

The total disclosed payroll for the show was $667,850.

The full amounts included:

* Cung Le ($200,000) def. Frank Shamrock ($300,000)
* Drew Fickett ($10,000) def. Jae S. Lim ($3,000)
* Gilbert Melendez ($50,000) def. Gabe Lemley ($7,000)
* Wayne Cole ($10,000) def. Mike Kyle ($10,000)
* Joey Villasenor ($36,000) def. Ryan Jensen ($6,000)
* Billy Evangelista ($10,000) def Marlon Sims ($2,500)
* Tiki Ghosn ($8,000) def. Luke Stewart ($6,000)
* Darren Uyenoyama ($4,000) def. Anthony Figueroa ($2,000)
* Jesse Jones ($2,150) def. Jesse Gillespie ($1,200)

"Win" bonuses went to Fickett ($5,000), Cole ($5,000), Villasenor ($18,000), Evangelista ($5,000) Ghosn ($2,000), Uyenoyama ($2,000) and Jones ($500).

i was clearly wrong...it just didn't seem like the place was that full.

Love the fact I was one of the 400+ though :icon_chee

i work for a local regional sports network. I've been to all except one of the Stirkforce events.

i co-produced a couple strikeforce preview shows.

You realize youre obligated to get us all free tickets to shows now right?

Back