Media MMA Junkie's P4P rankings are hilarious

Wait, so Bader is 7th, and Nemkov, who knocked him out, is nowhere to be seen?

Mate, Mighty Mouse is #4, Adriano Moraes who smashed him into oblivion probably doesn't crack their top 100!

I don't think they're even watching these fighters outside the UFC, they're just ranking two or three to look cool.

Don't worry, someone will be along to explain that P4P rankings aren't 'how fighters ranked based on current form and rankings placements' (which they should be), they're based on how each competitor's skills translate across different weight classes (which they shouldn't be, and which nobody has ever asked for).

Trust me, these sites often have completely arbitrary interpretations of P4P, when what everyone wants to ACTUALLY know is 'who is doing best regardless of weight class'.

Honestly P4p will always be pretty dumb and can only ever be subjective, but your definition of basically a "divisional dominance" index is good in that even though it is still subjective it at least brings it out of the realm of science fiction and fantasy.

"Imagine somebody with the speed, cardio and coordination of Mighty Mouse at HW, he's so much better!!!" makes as much sense as "imagine if a hummingbird were an elephant!" Mighty mouse would be the ultimate heavyweight just like an ant would be the ultimate weightlifter, if they were the sizer of a human they could pick up a transport truck!

I thought it was supposed to be some sort of guess at who is seen as the "best" among successful fighters in different weight classes since they won't get to face each other directly, but does that really work when the #3 has a head to head loss with an "honorable mention" this past March? I mean they literally fought each other in the same weight class and the P4P guy lost.

I always struggle with rankings to have someone still ranked above someone that beat them -- or even worse, when someone beat them, and that winner isn't ranked. If Mighty Mouse is 4, why isn't Adriano Moraes 3? He did starch MM after all, no controversy about it.

Well... if fighter A (#5) beats fighter B (ranked #2) but the fight or two before that fighter C (#3) beat fighter A... who ranks above who?

I've always envisioned the top 10 rankings basically as a viewpoint of how one fighter would stack up if they had to fight every other fighter in the division. Like, #1 could beat the next 9 or almost all of the next 9, #2 would beat the majority of the next 8 but maybe not all, etc.

What the heck did Bader ever do for that ranking? If he lost to any of his Bellator wins (other than Davis) hed look like an absolute chump. Bellator hw div is a joke and he hasnt beaten the top guys at lhw.

<6>

These people get paid to cover the sport. They know nothing about it.

I always struggle with rankings to have someone still ranked above someone that beat them -- or even worse, when someone beat them, and that winner isn't ranked. If Mighty Mouse is 4, why isn't Adriano Moraes 3? He did starch MM after all, no controversy about it.

halllman2.jpg

The real welterweight GOAT pre UFC...
It's body of overall work that gets you into the top pound for pound. Otherwise everyone gets booted after every loss.

What the heck did Bader ever do for that ranking? If he lost to any of his Bellator wins (other than Davis) hed look like an absolute chump. Bellator hw div is a joke and he hasnt beaten the top guys at lhw.

He won the heavyweight GP whilst holding the LHW belt. It's still a good run outside the UFC.

Who remembers how toxic the P4P wars were between Anderson/Fedor/GSP fans? Shit was crazy back when Anderson took over Fedor on Sherdogs list

He won the heavyweight GP whilst holding the LHW belt. It's still a good run outside the UFC.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.28.55 PM.png

The field in that HW tournament was horrible.

The second best fighter was Mitrione, and past prime Chael made it to the second round after beating Rampage, who looked like he literally rolled off of his couch for the fight.

View attachment 872137

The field in that HW tournament was horrible.

The second best fighter was Mitrione, and past prime Chael made it to the second round after beating Rampage, who looked like he literally rolled off of his couch for the fight.

Name a better heavyweight promotion with that many fighters that isn't the UFC? Half those guys would also go 50/50 in the UFC outside the top 5-15. It's heavyweight.

Name a better heavyweight promotion with that many fighters that isn't the UFC? Half those guys would also go 50/50 in the UFC outside the top 5-15. It's heavyweight.

The question isn't whether or not Bellator has the best HW division outside the UFC. It's whether Bader deserves to be on anybody's P4P list for winning a "HW" tournament that featured a bunch of totally shot fighters and multiple MWs.

Bader is a very good fighter, but he doesn't belong on the P4P list.

The question isn't whether or not Bellator has the best HW division outside the UFC. It's whether Bader deserves to be on anybody's P4P list for winning a "HW" tournament that featured a bunch of totally shot fighters and multiple MWs.

Bader is a very good fighter, but he doesn't belong on the P4P list.

I think he gets a mention if you treat other promotions outside the UFC with respect. Bader was a top 5 LHW in the UFC when he left and held two titles in a major promotion.

He shouldn't be high but he deserves a mention IMO. The pound for pound should be made up of champions in major divisions with their opponents body of work being considered. For example Volk being higher rated than Aj Mkee, because Volk has wins over Holloway x2, Aldo and Mendes vs Aj Mckee with wins over Caldwell and Patricio. Both have good wins but Volk's opponents have a much better body of work.

Because they are rankings, not checkers. You don't just steal the person you beat spot lol.

Because they are rankings, not checkers. You don't just steal the person you beat spot lol.
So you're saying, for example, that Stipe should still be ranked over Ngannou right now. Or Adesanya should be ranked above Blachowicz. For the latter, that's the case on Junkie.

Back