MMA journalism

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MacPherson911, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

I've noticed that some of the MMA journalists from the big sites seem to be very mean spirited and bitchy on Twitter

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. UL

UL no more yellows

All they need are some lips so they can kiss Dana ass

3. Fatal Catro

Fatal Catro Red Belt

it reeks of Ufc ass kissers.
    So no.

4. hadrian999

hadrian999 Green Belt

5. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

actually dude it seems more like they bend over backwards to shit all over anything the UFC does.

6. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

MMA journalism is fucking terrible. Anyone who spell checks his / her writing and gets the grammar mostly correct stands out as well above average.

MMA was a backwater sport for so long that random bloggers became the "journalists." Even the titles of articles on major sites are fucked up with English mistakes; don't get me started on the content.

Sherdog tends to at least address spelling and grammar for the most part.

7. BisexualMMA

Cagepotato slags DFW and the UFC every chance it gets. I stopped reading it a couple years ago for a number of reasons.

Other major sites seem to avoid biting the hand that feeds.

8. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Most of them are cast off WWF fans who are fat slobs that have never trained a day in their lives. The rest are old fucks who have experience covering other sports but don't know shit about MMA. 99% of them have no idea what they're talking about. Luke Thomas, as much of a bloviating pompous ass as he is, is one of the few exceptions.

9. Based God

Based God Brown Belt

When Ariel Helwani is the best there is, then yes it's kind of a joke.

Hacks like Kevin Iole have made a career out of MMA "journalism", it's pretty sad.

10. Zeroinnes

Zeroinnes White Belt

What would King Mo say about it?

11. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

really it just seems more like some of them talk shit about anything anybody does. There's a drinking game I play during the prelims or Fight Night show, anytime a journo (I'd give examples but I don't wanna put anybody specifically on blast) tweets something like "so and so fighter is horrible." or "this fighter's game plan is shit" or "the is what passes for UFC level these days, lol?" I take a shot. I've never once made it to the main card.

12. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

hahaha good one!

13. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

this is absolutely spot on.

14. HaulParris

HaulParris Gold Belt

On the one hand, I'm happy for both Ariel and Karyn Bryant, who paid their dues (Ariel through a long and winding road working for AOL, Versus, etc, and Karyn through her "MMA H.E.A.T." vlog with her husband) and are now working on Fox.

On the other, it's wrong on many levels to have both the commentators and the journalists be employed by the organization who puts on the events. It takes away from commentators/journalists being impartial, as they are either given a script to follow, or are afraid to go against the grain for fear of repercussions from their bosses.

It's because of this that I cringe anytime Ariel toes the party line on his otherwise enjoyable podcast - like the time when he defended Romero (claiming everyone else misheard the homophobic remarks) or when he argued that Cormier is the "lineal champion".

15. BisexualMMA

It's quite obvious what Romero meant. Ariel spinning that shit is embarrassing. Even DFW had the good sense to basically admit it when he said fighters should leave politics at home, and he bullshits more unabashedly than anyone in MMA.

I didn't hear what Ariel said about lineal champs. But that sounds pretty dumb. In fact, if he was talking about DC as LHW lineal champ, that is beyond pathetic. That is so outlandish that I actually assumed you meant he called DC the HW lineal champ somehow because of the Strikeforce HWGP.

16. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

Just like the fringe sport of MMA, the fringe profession of MMA journalism has very little entry requirement or professional competition. That's why you have C-level journalists like Ariel Helwani, who struggled through journalism school dominating the game, having a best journalist win streak similar to Rousey's MMA win streak.

If you look at the kind of people in MMA journalism you see nothing but midgets (e.g. Marc Raimondi), fatties (the Garcia brothers), old anorexic women (Karyn Bryant, god her podcast is awful) and Zangief-looking hairy mofos (Luke Thomas) who calls himself a professional analyst and was so stupid he thought RDA would get destroyed by Pettis.

17. BisexualMMA

Well, don't leave out the MMA hipsters like Breen. One of the key factions of this school of journalism.

18. epathebay

epathebay Green Belt

most are just full-time shills for the UFC

I mean Ariel Helwani is supposedly the top MMA journalist but he literally works for the UFC. How is that supposed to support fair and unbiased coverage?

19. MacPherson911

MacPherson911 Blue Belt

this is an example of exactly what I'm talking about.

20. Calivornia

Calivornia Purple Belt

Like the sport itself, it's still somewhat undeveloped. There is some excellent journalists but there are also many that are immature, opinionated and sound more like a sherdogger then an unbiased reporter.