MMA in 30 years... What if?

baby conor running shit

nwbabytatcon2.jpg

Posters seem to believe that every fighter who has been through wars will end up as a vegetable with CTE, but that’s not accurate. The same narratives are rehashed over and over here: “Look at how much worse Diego’s and Nate’s speech is now”, when in reality their speech is the same as it was 15 years ago. There will be some sad stories, but it’s not a given that all the fighters will be vegetables.

Some of MMA’s first legends are a bit messed up, but there’s still guys from that era who are fine like Bas, Royce etc. Then we have GSP and Anderson who look like they both will be alright. I don’t think I’d see a guy like Mighty Mouse ever brain damaged or becoming a convict.

Who knows how the world will be in 30 years. I expect the UFC to still be around. The glory days of MMA are gone, and who knows if today’s fans will still want to watch, but I don’t expect it to go away.

Well the world is going to end in 2012 due to the mayan notebook so who cares?

Once something is up and running, business is in the billions, the regulators can’t really ban it.

There are literally 100’s of MMA promotions, thousands of young people training and dreaming of being champs, and way too much money invested in it.

They’re not banning American football, boxing, muay thai, rugby, or auto racing. People die in those sports, and many people suffer brain damage.
They won’t ban MMA.

Once something is up and running, business is in the billions, the regulators can’t really ban it.

There are literally 100’s of MMA promotions, thousands of young people training and dreaming of being champs, and way too much money invested in it.

They’re not banning American football, boxing, muay thai, rugby, or auto racing. People die in those sports, and many people suffer brain damage.
They won’t ban MMA.
Don remember a single death in pro rugby
Did I miss some high profile death in rugby or something?

well i still see famous boxing pics and highlights from the past.. i think mma highlights will stay famous such as some crocop ones. some fedor ones, anderson, and a bunch others like khabib maybe if he retires undefeated.

They won’t ban MMA.

Right now american football and hockey can't deny that the sport is the source of major irreversible brain damage. We are at one or two crazy civil court case to lose those sports.

Right now american football and hockey can't deny that the sport is the source of major irreversible brain damage. We are at one or two crazy civil court case to lose those sports.
American football isn't gong away due to any civil case, no matter the severity. Legislation is the only thing that can kill it at this point.

I hate to say this but I honestly could see it disappearing completely.

This is a very young sport and were just starting to see the aftermath of some long careers...

Look at Hughes, Penn, Miller and even some other guys who are complete lost causes due to brain damage and who end up doing awful things and even in prison outside of the octogan. Look at how Nate can't even string together 2 sentences.

In a couple decades I could see a plethora of guys with holes on their skulls, handicapped, convicts, with extreme mental issues and a flood of Conor wannabes in the sport until ESPN cuts all ties with the ufc, the masses are completely disgusted, Dana is long gone and there's just no juice left worth the squeeze, unmarketable ...

I'm just saying,
Its not like the admired legends of NBA like Kareem and Russell who have some knee issues in their 70s. The legends of mma are going to be dudes who are seriously fucked up and most won't admire them or the sport anymore...

Ma bad ...just a thought
On a serious note, there is a possibly of MMA being banned in some countries. Had it not been for the centuries old tradition of boxing being mainstream, MMA may not be the world wide sport it is. I was watching this short video by this Medical consultant on TED. He has a database of over 83,000 brain scans. Brain trauma is serious (please watch this video it is only about 14 minutes long) and people who have had just one fall on their head in their lives have suffered serous mental health issues. Compare that to the number of knockouts, punches/eblows/knees to the head is definitely causing serious brain damage.
As I said please watch this video it might give you another perspective of things.

ufc borrowing 600 milions to pay debt isn't good signal. the sport isn't evolving. THe HW is deader than ever, Mark Hunt is probably next for the title.
they're not borrowing 600m to pay debt.

Pankration was part of the olympic games for hundreds of years, we are just in the begining. But is Sherdog still here in 30 years? ^^

A lot of it depends on what happens when pink goof retires, he's more integral to the sport than one man should be.

This is a very young sport and were just starting to see the aftermath of some long careers...

Look at Hughes, Penn, Miller and even some other guys who are complete lost causes due to brain damage and who end up doing awful things and even in prison outside of the octogan. Look at how Nate can't even string together 2 sentences.

In a couple decades I could see a plethora of guys with holes on their skulls, handicapped, convicts, with extreme mental issues and a flood of Conor wannabes in the sport until ESPN cuts all ties with the ufc, the masses are completely disgusted, Dana is long gone and there's just no juice left worth the squeeze, unmarketable ...

I'm just saying,
Its not like the admired legends of NBA like Kareem and Russell who have some knee issues in their 70s. The legends of mma are going to be dudes who are seriously fucked up and most won't admire them or the sport anymore...

Ma bad ...just a thought

LMAO you're delusional. Guys like Hughes, Penn, and Miller were trash/crazy before they even got into MMA. Nate has always talked like this.

I'm just saying,

Ma bad ...just a thought
Do you really belive MMA is the only combat sport...
Many Boxers, kickboxers, and mt fighters.. etc have been injured, became homeless, or have died young.
Your prediction is stupid and you should feel stupid. May allah make ur path simpler.

I personally think it's a passing fad. Don't know how long it will last and we've seen some great fights, but it's got a time limit.

my dream is to train fighters at that point so hopefully you're wrong

But I've said more than once how we gotta soak this up while it's here. It might not be for long in this pussy ass society

Long Story short: ballsports & CTE are the biggest reasons. It is just a matter of time and i dont know how many years it will take ... maybe 20-50? maybe 100? I dont know.

Lets be real: All These boxing/BJJ/MMA gyms are for casuals/soccer moms, but the more we know about CTE ... you know what i mean (hi nfl)

But combat Sports will never disappear, they will become niche.

Olympics (Wrestling, boxing etc.) are still good, cuz 1 gold medal = you can get a good job. If you have two Gold medals, you can even become a Trainer.

It is just a matter of time :)

Back