1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

mma in 3 months need stand up.

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shouldercharge, Jul 1, 2010.

1. shouldercharge

shouldercharge Dave Camarillo idoliser

i'm having my first mma fight in a couple of months
    i currently train in judo and a little bit of jiu jitsu.
    in a month my competitive season for judo will be over and i'm going to be training mma 2-3 times a week with some full contact sparring (mainly stand up) after each.

i trained mau thai for 12months about 2 years ago other than that i havent done much stand up.

what would be the best way to quickly improve my stand up.should i join a gym and try and squeeze in a couple of sessions a week,or better off to have a personal training session once a week?
    and should i pick muay thai or boxing?
    i have access to a guy with 4 years experience as a muay thai trainer who will give me cheap privates.

or a friend with a shit load of amature boxing experience who recently spent 6 months training with the olympic squad in cuba.

should i do both thai and boxing or stick to one if so which one,and should i try squeeze in sessions at a gym or go with one on one coaching.

i want to improve as fast as possible as i'll be fighting in october or november and i'm going to have to start full-contact sparring at the end of august.

2. BakedBrotato

BakedBrotato Guest

Since you've already done a little MT, check out boxing to see if which you like more. Then commit to one.

3. wisdom blows

wisdom blows Gold Belt

i would hold off another 6 months. whats the rush? i know plenty of grapplers who jumped into MMA with rudimentary stand up, and they cant close the distance for takedowns. they just get tagged on the feet, and up losing decisions.

4. ArchAngelos

ArchAngelos Blue Belt

Boxing coach!

No contest there based solely on the level in which he competes and trains at.

Good luck.

5. GBlutador

GBlutador Orange Belt

this is a good call.

what is your rush to get into mma. striking takes a long time to develope your skills just like bjj.

i am in the same situation as you. ive done bjj for 3 years, and striking for about 8 months. i must say, it takes a really long time just to develope the timing skills in striking.

not to hi jack this thread... but i notice this alot. when guys start fighting just too early... i think it might hinder them in the long run...

look at all the champions (even previous) in MMA.

anderson silva is a life long martial artist and had 15 years of striking before his first mma match.

gsp - didnt wrestle before mma but came from a long line of striking

big nog- was a black belt before he entered

not a fan of the guy but even brock was a champion wrestler

then look at guys like chris leben whos a great fighter and can beat alot of guys but will never be at that next level... partly because he just entered mma too early and raw and never took the time to develope base artforms. hes good at everything but not great at anything.

at least thats my theory : p

6. shouldercharge

^ofcourse someone is going to be better after training foir 15years than after trainging for 2.but thats no reason to hold off competing its not like chris leben would have been better if he trained for ten years then entered the sport.the difference isnt in leben entering mma too early but entering martial arts too late.
    theres not a day that goes by that i dont wish i had started boxing and judo as a kid but
    i started late and i can't help that but i dont think i should put off competing-in 2 years time surely i'll be a better fighter for having had a handful of fights rather than if i wait til then to have my first fight.

i won't be putting it off i'll be fighting before the years end theres a burning desire deep within me to fight.maybe i'll step in hate it and never want to fight again and that fire will be extinguished better to find that out now than waste another year of time and money training for it,and that desire to give it a go will be satisfied
    or i'll do well love it and i'll want to make some changes next year (namely give up rugby)so that i can devote more time to mma.
    either way better to find out sooner rather than later.

7. SpineBreaker

SpineBreaker Orange Belt

This topic makes me wonder how much time people put into their training before they decided to become a professional fighter...I mean, we know some guys like Machida had many years of training before they became known, but I wonder if with the rise in popularity of MMA, more guys are going "oooh cool, I want to be a fighter" and they go train a short amount of time and try it.

8. shouldercharge

thats the other thing its only an amature fight i'll be fighting someone of similar experience.

9. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

IMO go with the boxing coach and work on
    developing a fast, hard, accurate jab
    (among other things).

10. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

if you've done muay thai for a year 2 years back and you've got access to a trainer who will do private lessons for you, your stand up should come back up to a decent level after 4 solid months of work.

11. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    I'd go with boxing, you need head movement and timing. then try to work on some roundhouses and shin blocks on your own time and you'll be alright.

12. zapataxiv

zapataxiv Black Belt

well it looks like your a kiwi, if so isnt there a good kickboxing scene out there i know alot of k-1 and muay thai guys come from there. so the level of that would be good to look in to, also 2 years off will have a big affect on your skill so more practice is great
    also having such an experienced friend in boxing is a gift and it would be a mistake i believe to overlook training with him. why not try both or try to squeeze in both like once a week you could do muay thai and then once a week boxing for a while till you get used again and see whats up then

13. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

This happened to me. Sucked!

14. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Way to many. I have crash coursed a couple guys for the their first fight because I could not talk them out of there folly. Two got lucky and won because they got to fight people even worse than they were, though how they found somebody worse than farm boy with 3 weeks training I have no idea.