MMA Hour: rep from nascent MMA union says he is the fighters' 'best friend'

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
On the MMA Hour, Jeff Borris from the nascent MMA union just repeatedly said that he is the 'best friend' of MMA fighters, and that the athletes should consider him their 'best friend'.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but if somebody pitches themselves like that, I am instantly suspicious of them.

What's in it for this guy? And will he only be happy when the sport that we know and love, which gives us the fights that we want several times a month, has been eviscerated into something that is about as unexciting as modern boxing, delivering compelling fights three to four times per year?

Last edited:
If you're a cynic, so am I. There are no friends in the professional world and those who claim to be it are usually trouble.

If you're a cynic, so am I. There are no friends in the professional world and those who claim to be it are usually trouble.

As soon as that guy said 'best friend', my ears pricked up. When he said it for a second time immediately thereafter, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach and went 'oh-oh...'

Trouble indeed. If MMA ends up like boxing, with fighters ducking meaningful fights 90% of the time, they can count me out.

If someone has to repeatedly remind you they’re your friend… they’re not really your friend.

Renowned workplace law expert New York Ric just announced that 'I am having a hard time criticising how they [the union guys] are going about it right now'.

How is this man not a Supreme Court judge? He has a formidable legal mind.

If someone has to repeatedly remind you they’re your friend… they’re not really your friend.

Correct. If that guy came anywhere near me, I would tell him to fuck off.

Fighters need a union to even the pendulum during negotiations with the UFC. Any lawyer worth their salt has already said that the UFC contracts are highly restrictive.

lol@ these paranoid zuffa zombirds

I'm a cynic too but I'm also an ass man so I'm arsenic. My girl's body is like poison.

What's in it for this guy?

I don't understand, did you watch the full interview? He went fairly in-depth that his potential salary/compensation will be voted on by the fighters belonging to the union themselves. Or is it implied by your question that you don't believe that?

On the MMA Hour, Jeff Borris from the nascent MMA union just repeatedly said that he is the 'best friend' of MMA fighters, and that the athletes should consider him their 'best friend'.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but if somebody pitches themselves like that, I am instantly suspicious of them.

What's in it for this guy? And will he only be happy when the sport that we know and love, which gives us the fights that we want several times a month, has been eviscerated into something that is about as unexciting as modern boxing, delivering compelling fights three to four times per year?

What's it in for him? $$$$. NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith makes 1.8mil /year

Within the past few months, here in the local news, some union leader was busted for using union money to buy himself some beachfront house in the name of letting the union members use it, using union money to pay himself and his family members huge salaries even though one didn't live in HI and worked another job in another state, raising union dues without approval, etc.

I'm guessing what's in it for him is crowning himself king and taxing union members via union dues then using the money on personal expenses as he pleases. I could be mistaken.

As soon as that guy said 'best friend', my ears pricked up. When he said it for a second time immediately thereafter, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach and went 'oh-oh...'

Trouble indeed. If MMA ends up like boxing, with fighters ducking meaningful fights 90% of the time, they can count me out.
didn't even see the video but if my life experiences tell me anything, you're goddamn right

Fighters need a union to even the pendulum during negotiations with the UFC. Any lawyer worth their salt has already said that the UFC contracts are highly restrictive.
so basically saying a union nothing more then a bunch of lawyers who our your best friends .. no way they start to look out for number one themselves because they like you, its brotherhood,
now pay those dues/fees...
what the sport needs more lawyers

lol@ these paranoid zuffa zombirds
Lol @ idiotic fans who don't realize where their interests lie

BTW using the term "zuffa zombie" or any other form of it makes you look like a complete retard. FYI

That sounds shady as fuck.

image.jpeg

Lol @ idiotic fans who don't realize where their interests lie

BTW using the term "zuffa zombie" or any other form of it makes you look like a complete retard. FYI

Coming from a Zuffa zomtard.

Get the fuck out with your slavery way of thinking.

Back