MMA Hour on Youtube now: 2300+ viewers

Metal_Daze

Geonor St Gregor
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been watching The MMA Hour for years and I always wanted to know what kind of numbers it did. Last week, they had broadcast problem and swiftly switched from the horrible MMAFighting.com video player to Youtube broadcast. They had good feedback and I think they decided to permanently move to Youtube.

So, I'm watching live today and since it's on Youtube, there are live numbers of viewers displayed under the video. It has been going from low 2000 to 2300 viewers watching live, a good number for a MMA specialized podcast with no big name headlining.

In fact, the biggest name today was Rory McDonald and the interview was awesome, props to Ariel. I know Ariel is a big name in MMA media and I'm sure he has his own fans (of which I am) but I was expecting higher numbers, even if they are good enough for a specialized show.

So I ask you fellow doggers, do you think these are good numbers? Do you think Ariel is breaking the bank and getting Anderson Silva money for the show? Do you think it should do better and that MMA is dying?

Are YOU still watching the MMA Hour? If so, any comments?

Vent here.

Last edited:
I've actually stopped watching the MMA Hour it got repetitive after a while. I still like watching certain sections depending on the guest and usually watch the pre/post-fight interviews Ariel does for events, as well as the MMA Beat.

But, moving to youtube is a good move and 2300 is quite good especially with the sub-par lineup and the hasty/unannounced switch to Youtube.

I assume because of work/school/etc. most people watch it after the fact, that's what I would always do.

Thanks for your input Shonie. Yes, I believe the Monday afternoon time slot gathers a lot of re-watch, I bet most of their numbers come from that. As I work the nightshift, the MMA Hour has been my pre-bedtime ritual for years now, it really fits well with my schedule to watch it live.

Of course, there is not much Sherdog traffic on Monday so this thread will fly under the radar. I wonder if people watch the MMA Hour while at work like they browse Sherdog?

I have no idea why they never went to Youtube before. Their MMAFighting player is terrible.

I usually don't watch it live unless there's a really compelling guest that's going to be on. Usually I'll watch it on repeat or just pick off specific segments.

They still are a great place in terms of breaking MMA news, though the interviews can be repetitive if you watch the show too often.

I'm with other posters... glad they moved to Youtube. Their player was terrible.

I have no idea why they never went to Youtube before. Their MMAFighting player is terrible.

I think MMAfighting.com was feeding on the clicks. Having their own player hosted on their website was doing wonders for them. Now that it's on Youtube, a lot of people (like me) will not bother going back to the website, just click on the YT link posted by Ariel on twitter.

They resisted despite multiple reports of video failure, incompatibility with browsers and high numbers of complains regarding video freezing. It took an utter failure to deliver the podcast to get them to move to Youtube.

I believe MMAfighting.com will do all it can to bring it back to the website or at least force their employees to post the website link instead of the direct Youtube link.

We'll see how it goes.

cant say im a big fan of ariel helwani, but i thought he would get more hits than that personally - its not terrible numbers or anything, but i woulda thought with the traffic this place gets, a lot of sherdoggers would be into ariel's type of style

It's been a good while since I watched the show but nice to know it is picking up numbers. No idea why sites don't use YouTube players, most of their own suck. IGN is prime example.

It's been a good while since I watched the show but nice to know it is picking up numbers. No idea why sites don't use YouTube players, most of their own suck. IGN is prime example.

So they can put their own ads on there..

Youtube is the pit of ignorance. The comment section gets so bad that most podcasters deliberately steer clear of it. Also its a financial thing. They make barely more than zero from having 2300 watching a youtube stream, whereas the $ per view on the MMAFighting website (and other third party sites, like UStream and Twitch) are much more favorable.

So I ask you fellow doggers, do you think these are good numbers?

Those are not good numbers.

But the only real numbers that matter are the total views over all platforms (youtube, soundcloud, stitcher, etc etc).

To put it in perspective The Fighter and the Kid get 2-3 million monthly downloads and Rogans podcasts gets 11 million. I've watched Rogans live too...and the numbers weren't impressive. The real benefit to podcasts is that you don't need to listen to them live. You listen to them at your convenience.

I tried to search for MMA hour monthly numbers but didn't come up with anything.

Back