MMA Handwrapping vs. Boxing Handwrapping?

CHawkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here's something that's new to me.

I recently bought a few pairs of compact MMA-style handwraps. You've probably seen them, they are narrower and shorter than boxing handwraps. The question is, should I wrap my hands differently for MMA training than for boxing?

For example, if I wrap the MMA wraps same way I've wrapped for boxing, I end up with my palm completely covered by material. This is not good for my grip.

However, I can't think of a way to wrap my hands so that they are supported as well as they are with a boxing-style wrap, while leaving my palm mostly uncovered. Is there a good way to do this? I've experimented with routing the between-finger wraps between my index finger and thumb to avoid covering the palm, but I'm not sure that's going to give me much support.

There is probably a really obvious answer to this, but I'm new to training MMA so try to be gentle with me. :D

edit: spelling

I can't think of a way to wrap my hands so that they are supported as well as they are with a boxing-style wrap

Boxers wrap their hands that way because it offers the best support, if you want to gain extra finger mobility and uncover your palm you will end up sacrificing some support, keep experimenting until you find a trade off that works for you.

CHawkins said:
Here's something that's new to me.

I recently bought a few pairs of compact MMA-style handwraps. You've probably seen them, they are narrower and shorter than boxing handwraps. The question is, should I wrap my hands differently for MMA training than for boxing?

For example, if I wrap the MMA wraps same way I've wrapped for boxing, I end up with my palm completely covered by material. This is not good for my grip.

However, I can't think of a way to wrap my hands so that they are supported as well as they are with a boxing-style wrap, while leaving my palm mostly uncovered. Is there a good way to do this? I've experimented with routing the between-finger wraps between my index finger and thumb to avoid covering the palm, but I'm not sure that's going to give me much support.

There is probably a really obvious answer to this, but I'm new to training MMA so try to be gentle with me. :D

edit: spelling

I didn't know there was specific MMA handwraps, i've been using authentic Mexican handwraps. Instead of using 2 rolls per hand, i use one and still able to have a good grip. As mentioned b4, just experiment.

OK, I think I've got it.

I start out like a boxing wrap, with the loop over my thumb. I wrap the wrap one around my wrist and then around my thumb, then once more around my wrist, ending up behind my thumb,

I wrap across the back of the hand, between the ring and pinky fingers, then across the bottom of the fingers and through the space between the index finger and thumb.

I bring the wrap across the back of my hand, to the outside of the wrist, then pass it under the wrist and end up behind the thumb again. Repeat the process, going between the ring and middle fingers and then the middle and index fingers.

I wrap around the whole knuckle area one time and then use the remaining wrap to stabilize the wrist.

It doesn't feel like my hand has as much support, but I have an open palm, a stable wrist, and good hand mobility.

My camera phone stinks bad, or else I'd post pics. I really need to crawl off the dime and get a digital camera.

Go to ringside.com and see if they have anypictures of the wraps on hands. I used to do it boxing style then got mexican style and saw a new way when i was watching TUF2. When Jorge gets hurt in the ring they glimpse his hand. I found out how he did it...

Do normal thumb wrist knuckles wrap a couple times around. Then loop every finger/knuckle. Bring the wrap over facing away from your thumb and bring it back under and around then wrap your wrist. I start with the pinky and end with the thumb. This normally leaves my palm open when im goin to the last stretch of wrap but normally cover it b/c i dont grapple with wraps on. Hope this works. Ill try and take a picture.

Personally with mma, i jsut do a light wrap aournd my lower hand and wrist.

Back