MMA Gear for Women

thanks akdms, but looking for grappling board shorts etc. Already got GI. I've seen fightergirls.com , but they get a bit pricey to Australia

1231844519.jpg

I just bought this from INSPIRIT USA website for my friend's birthday, and she loved it!!!!!!!!

Damn why so expensive!!!!! I'm trying to find a cute rashy and tights for my gf but damn im gonna go broke.

I appreciate the emergence of female oriented brands like this but to be honest I feel that more often than not they create products that are a) no more functional than the male equivalent and b) aesthetically displeasing.

I would much rather wear my pick of the guys gear in suitable sizes than wear black & pink or purple. Can't beat the choice that men's MMA apparel offers.

Meh,

I really appreciate the effort but I hate the stereotypical colours/designs used for "women" equipment. I thought the Tie-Dye gi was really cool but the bright baby blues/oranges and pink options turned me off to no end- I'd much prefer something like the female gis Tatami's produces where the design is the same to the male's but the cut isn't.

I mean "cat fight"....can we really not have a better name? :icon_neut

P.S. No offence to the owner.

MMA gear for women is a joke.

The short shorts are practically booty shorts, and the long shorts are low-rise with very tight legs. Neither of which are suitable for wearing to grapple.

I bought a few pairs of FORM shorts and had them hemmed so they weren't knee-length. It cost an additional $15-20 but it was well worth it for the custom fit. The price would have been less, but I had the seamstress include the split-seam.

Most other guys MMA shorts will work for women - with the exception of JACO. I loved the feel of the JACO shorts - very stretchy and very light. The problem with the JACO shorts for women (and maybe some guys) is that the closure system doesn't open very wide, so if you have any hips or butt, you won't be able to get them over your hips/butt. If you go a size up, the waist will be huge.

Rashguards - I use Nike or Under Armour. Both work fine.

GIs - I have a few Atama women's gis that I love and a few Shoyorolls that fit will too. I have one Keiko that was apparently made for some that was 80% torso and 20% legs, I hate it and will give it to someone at my club.

I'm a guy, but I love black gear with pink highlights, so most of the time it's women's.

Why won't some company make gear like that for men?

I got shin guards from KimuraWear, but they don't fit appropriately, so I have to sell them.

Hmm... Like other posters, while I like that more martial arts companies are designing for women, I find the aesthetic slightly troubling. The name "Cat Fight" and the aggressively traditionally feminine color scheme turn me off. Katriona gave a shout-out to Tatami for not pandering to women but providing a more functional cut, and I'll give props to Fuji 28" board shorts for fitting pretty well on my 5'6", 125lb frame.

It is annoying, as a woman, to have to step onto the mat in something ill-fitting or less than flattering when the men look quite dapper and dignified in their kimonos. That probably has less to do with keikogi design and more to do with belt placement, however, if you're working around even relatively small hips. The prohibitive price of most gi models out there doesn't make it easy to search for the best cut, so most of the women I know stick to judogis sized for height rather than weight.

When it comes to bjj gis for women, i like the predadora gis from black eagle a lot. They have a real womens cut (not just mens gis in hello-kitty-colors) without obsessiv pink or purple on it. (One is blue with small hot pink embroidery, and the other model white with light blue stiching. Both a very decent design.)
And their grappling shorts are my favorites. I'm a 30-32 in jeans and wear them in size S. So for the more smaller women it may be to large.
Yesterday i ordered 2 of their rashguards to check them out.
Their grappling gear is not specially designed for women, only the gis are. But i can recommend both. And their customer service is awesome.

anybody know any good girl mma shorts that do not degrade women (i.e., catfight) and are not pink?

anybody know any good girl mma shorts that do not degrade women (i.e., catfight) and are not pink?

I just wear Hayabusa shorts. I got red/white ones but they come in a nice blue/white or black/white.

sweet, i'll let my GF know, she's having a hard time finding regular looking fight wear.

sweet, i'll let my GF know, she's having a hard time finding regular looking fight wear.

I don't know what size your girlfriend wears but you might like to let her know that because Hayabusa's shorts are for men, they kind of go straight down, leaving no wiggle room around the hip area. As a result they ride up to the waist and can cause some itchiness. I wear my rashie tucked into my compression shorts to combat it but if that's not her style the itchiness/riding up may be a deal breaker.

Kinda got disheartened trying to find respectful fightwear, as one poster put it, they're essentially booty-shorts. Managed to find some ValeTudo shorts that run to just above the knees, never looked back. Not even trying to look for boardshorts, waste of my time IMO.

Her best bet is probably to just go with the men's shorts, but the fit will depend on her height/weight/hips ratio. I have the Fuji Kassen 28" shorts, and at 5'6", ~125 lbs, they fit pretty OK over my hips. I have a pair of Venum Rio shorts in a 30" waist, but the leg opening is too long and wide, though the waist fits pretty comfortably. If she decides to go with men's shorts, just be aware that they're most likely going to sit at her natural waist, not her hips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back