News MMA finally legalized in France

Among random facts, I would point that the current France prime minister trains boxing with Jerome Le Banner. He is 6'4" and actually not too bad at it.

DABdDL7XsAI798h.jpg

Among random facts, I would point that the current France prime minister trains boxing with Jerome Le Banner. He is 6'4" and actually not too bad at it.

DABdDL7XsAI798h.jpg

I'm sure Gerard Philippe would KTFO CM Punk

Anyway, I hope this will make France big in the MMA scene.
I think France has enormous potential to become biggest MMA country in Europe.
We have lots of good Athletes and if French gov treats MMA like Karate or other major sport (funding, etc), France will be amazing for MMA.

I can't wait to go to a Paris UFC event.

To be honest things take time in France, but finally its happening.

I love this.
I said in a different thread, around 2013/14 I was backpacking Eastern Europe and met this carload of 4 x French MMA fighters. Really fucking cool dudes, the lot of them - they were driving around Europe volunteering with charities and taking professional bouts in places like Slovenia and Serbia simply to gain pro experience coz they couldn't do so at home.

Anyway, I hope this will make France big in the MMA scene.
I think France has enormous potential to become biggest MMA country in Europe.
We have lots of good Athletes and if French gov treats MMA like Karate or other major sport (funding, etc), France will be amazing for MMA.

I can't wait to go to a Paris UFC event.

To be honest things take time in France, but finally its happening.
They are extremely well represented at the top level in Muay Thai and Kickboxing.
2nd best country in Judo (Olympics and world championship) behind Japan.
2nd best country in Karate world championship behind Japan
A couple of elite boxers.

Their main weakness is wrestling.

Last edited:
They are extremely well represented at the top level in Muay Thai and Kickoxing.
A couple of elite boxers.

Their main weakness is wrestling.

<36>

Judo is ded. Karate is ded.

France produces good amateur boxers and muay thai fighters, but not kickboxers. You can even ingnore muay thai, cuz the real competition is at 140 and below.

France will dominate MMA with ez, cuz talent pool aint that big.

Last edited:
T
Beloved French sherdoggers (I got double yellows, I cannot afford jokes) correct me if I'm wrong, but according to everything I read since circa 2002 (In the old SFUK website), is PRECISELY because of de TMA lobby (Especially judo), that MMA was illegal in France.

Beloved French sherdoggers (I got double yellows, I cannot afford jokes) correct me if I'm wrong, but according to everything I read since circa 2002 (In the old SFUK website), is PRECISELY because of de TMA lobby (Especially judo), that MMA was illegal in France.
That's true, Judo weigh a lot in France and the president of the Judo federation was strongly opposed to MMA

J'étais en France en 2005 pour le K1 WGP, Jérôme Lebanner vs Cyril Abidi était mortel...
Dommage niveau timing pour Cyril "Da Snake" Diabaté, il était tellement bon en pieds/poings, enfin il peut toujours coacher et tout.

Paris is beautiful, I've been there half a dozen times and it's still the most wonderful city I've ever visited...
Diabate is the owner of one of the biggest muay Thai mma club in the area

That was the word but i never understood it honestly cause i still think we can have a great connection between judo and MMA, like they have in the usa between wrestling and MMA.
I do think that MMA had a bad image from the 90s in France, i will always remember reports from the 1st UFCs showing orlando wiet (french dutch guy) being fucked up by a former judo guy.
The reporters simply destroyed MMA at the time.
We had to take it from those days and overcome prejudicies against MMA, that was not easy.
Regards to all those who kept the sport alive in those days in our country.

That’s amazing. Can’t wait to see the inevitable shitty reffing and judging while they learn what this sport actually is haha

Fantastic news! The thinly veiled racism and Islamophobia, we can do without, however.

Diabate is the owner of one of the biggest muay Thai mma club in the area
Ça m'étonne pas, quand j'ai visité Paris y'avait du beau monde dans la "Team Snake". Dommage que le thread où ils se sont flammé la gueule avec Bisping soit effacé, c'est comme le célèbre "petite soeur de Bas vs Jason Delucia", j'aimais bien me le relire une fois par an.

Yves Landu avait du potentiel aussi, j'étais dég quand il a perdu contre Hiroto au dernier RIZIN, ça aurait été le timing idéal pour se faire repérer à son premier gros event.

Xavier "Professor X" FoupaPokam était super prometteur aussi mais hélas il a perdu la plupart des combats qu'il fallait vraiment qu'il gagne. Je me souviens avoir suivi sa carrière avant qu'il ne perde contre Ninja, il avait eu un run respectable et c'était sa grosse occaz de se faire repérer par une des big orgs... et après cette défaite, il avait à nouveau eu un run pas mal, enfin invité à l'UFC, et hélas, 2 combats, 2 défaites, contre Denis Kang et je sais plus qui.
Quand tu vois un gars talentueux comme lui, muay thai de fou, plein d'expérience, avec un coach et une team solide derrière lui, qui galère au niveau mondial, ça fait relativiser par rapport au niveau de l'élite de l'élite.

Il a quand même eu une belle carrière, j'espère qu'il a un taf de coach à vie chez Cyrille après ça ^^

Back