MMA Fighters With The Freakiest Reach To Height Ratios

Yes true. However, if you throw a jab your shoulders add an inch or two to your reach since you are turning your body. I think you don't just punch with your arms, you rotate your shoulders when you throw a punch.

For sure. Should just be the additional stat of arm length from shoulder to closed fist. Thats another thing, the measurements should be to closed fist, not open hand. They measure to index finger I believe and I find it kinda silly, its deceptive.

no it's retarded, this could have been interesting but fuck you if I'm going to start converting inches and shit to actually mean something to me, just here: height 5'11 reach 71" means nothing to me in the metric system it would be height 180cm reach 180cm there you go, fuck off! :mad:

I agree but 5'10 sounds better than say 185cms

Stipe has the longest reach out of the top 10 heavyweights tied with Overeem.

That's not freakish but, for some reason, I always looked at Stipe as a bit "stumpy", for want of a better word. Certainly didn't think he had a longer reach than Browne or JDS

6'4" Francis Ngannou is only an inch behind 7' Struve in the reach department with 83" to Struves 84". That's a bit freaky
Stipe has relatively short arms. The long reach is attributed to his broad shoulders because they measure across the back, which doesnt seem like an ideal way to measure this. Why not armpit to knuckle for a true comparison.

Lol...some of the guys you all are listing are not freakish by any means. Like Conor, he's only a +5. Good, but no freakish by any means.

Jon Jones is the goat in reach for MMA, who is a +8. and I'm pretty sure he's the only MMA guy to reach that wingspan.

For sure. Should just be the additional stat of arm length from shoulder to closed fist. Thats another thing, the measurements should be to closed fist, not open hand. They measure to index finger I believe and I find it kinda silly, its deceptive.

Jon Jones would prefer the open hand fingers first reach method. Proven 11 out of 10 times.

I think Korean Zombie is listed as 5'7 with a reach of 74

Them genes.

3347309869_b73365165c.jpg

You can say 1,85m still as simple ;)

True but I mean colloquially speaking sometime imperial sounds cooler.

Examples:

"Damn that dude was 6ft tall" instead of "damn that dude was 1.93cms"

"we searched miles and miles" or "7 mile beach"

"My penis is 12 inches long"

So yeah here in Aus we use the metric system but in day to day talk we often use imperial systems but it is all the US media we are exposes to, such as movies and music etc.

I think most reach stats are just as much BS as the listed heights. But if you go on what's written on paper it's Sonny Liston boxing or not it's just far beyond anything listed in MMA.

Stockton slaps are not delivered closed fist niether is JJ eye pokes. Open hand important. Besides as long as everyone is measured same what does it matter?

I think most reach stats are just as much BS as the listed heights. But if you go on what's written on paper it's Sonny Liston boxing or not it's just far beyond anything listed in MMA.
I think there is an element of truth in the reach of the various fighters. Check out this weigh in of Kevin Lee and compare his arm length to his opponent.
070614-TUF-19-Finale-Weigh-in-gallery-EH-G9.vnocropresize.940.529.medium.4.jpg

Last edited:
They do reach minus height and they call it a ratio ?!

Stipe has relatively short arms. The long reach is attributed to his broad shoulders because they measure across the back, which doesnt seem like an ideal way to measure this. Why not armpit to knuckle for a true comparison.
They measure wingspan (fingertip to fingertip) because if you think of a proper punch technique, you pivot your body from the hips, so your reach is actually measured from the centre of your body. When the reach is 80 inches, it's actually 40 inches from the centre of the body to the fingertip. It's the best way of doing it because in the case of a fighter having wider shoulders, his armpit to finger measurement would make it look like he has a short reach. If a fighter had narrow shoulders, it'd look like his reach is huge.

In reality I don't think it matters much. How accurate are the measurements anyway? You've only got to look at a guy fight to see his technique to determine his real reach.

I'd say it's more a boxing thing where reach might matter more. Just something to put on the tale of the tape.

Back