MMA Fighters who torpedo'd their own careers without outside the cage actions?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Let's look at some of the fighters who ruined their own careers with actions outside of the cage.

1.) Cain Velasquez:

I have Cain at the top because he was most likely the fighter who ruined perhaps one of the greatest potential MMA legacies and is still considered the HW GOAT by many. If he had stayed healthy I'm sure he could still even be UFC HW champion.

How did Cain ruin sabotage his career? By not training properly. Cain in the 21st Century was performing weight lifting techniques that high school students would know were being done improperly. Because of this Cain has had 8 surgeries, 4 of which are for his knees. (Two meniscus surgeries, one MCL surgery on my right knee, taking cartilage out of my left elbow, both shoulder I've had torn labrums that needed repairing, and back surgery and a 5th on one of his knees.)

This gif of Cain improperly doing knee extensions with huge weight and as fast as possible still makes me cringe. Everyone knows this isn't the proper way to do knee extensions and will most likely lead to injuries..hello Cain.

With Cain's knee buckling during his recent fight with Ngannou it's safe to say that he will never hold a belt again which is a tragedy. What a stupid way to derail a potentially legendary career.

UmfMEd.gif

I'm no fan of Cain, I always believed he was over-rated but I will admit that if he had stayed healthy he could have been one of the greatest of all time not just HW GOAT. I will say I always thought DC would beat him though, more punching power, better wrestling, and better chin. Would have been a great fight.

2.) Diaz Brothers:

These two most likely would never be champions but they could have put on many entertaining fights and made themselves a lot of money.

What ruined their careers was putting marijuana usage over fighting and over-rating their value. If they played ball they could have had a lot more fights. I wasn't a fan of the Diaz's initially but have warmed to them and do enjoy watching them fight.

3.) Jon Jones:

PED use and recreational drug use hasn't helped his career but because of the UFC hasn't torpedo'd it fully either. It definitely tarnished his legacy and Jon better realize the UFC will only cover for him while he's valuable to them, once he no longer is, his antics won't be tolerated or protected. Numerous car accidents and police incidents don't help either.

4.) BJ Penn:

I'll put BJ for what he didn't do outside of the cage rather than what he did. In his prime Penn relied on his natural ability and skills and did not train enough. I remember hearing about other fighters warming up for their fights and BJ was on a couch eating a burrito before his fight.

BJ is still considered one of the best LW fighters of all time but he could have been great if he really applied himself. Reminds me of Tour de France rider Jan Ulrich who was very similar to Penn and would come into race time approximately 40lbs. over weight. He also partied very hard off season with alcohol and drugs it is said, similar to Penn. What was said about Jan was "Superstar talent and bargain basement motivation.". Same could have been said for BJ.

Why do people keep saying Jones destroyed his career??? Dudes the current LHW champ and is about to murk Anthony Smith for his 9th defense. He's had some self induced setbacks ofc, but it's not like he's done. All he has to do is keep his shit together and he can easily re-establish his legacy.

Also, to answer TT: Lee Murray, Warmachine, Cung Lee (Had he focused purely on MMA instead of acting, he could've been something special. I believe he's the most successful Taekwondo practitioner to ever transition to MMA)

this whole thread is fail IMO

you are looking at some videos posted of Cain and assuming all his injuries were from poor training? Most of his injuries are more than likely bad luck. Thats an assumption.

Diaz brothers...as much as we love them, they are NOT truly elite. Yet they made themselves house hold names and millionaires. That seems pretty dope to me. They both fought in UFC title fights and nick had a good run as a champ in another promotion. These guys, IMO both exceeded what there actual skill should have allowed them to be.

Jon jones is the current LHW champ and still "undefeated" hes made more money in each of his single title fights than 99% of other mma fighters make in an entire career. he is viewd as the baddest man on the planet and the goat. I dont get why you think his career is over.

BJ penn just didnt retire soon enough. He is a 2 division champion and arguably the goat at 155. He also has made millions from MMA. I once again say FAIL

im sure there are many other people that could go on a list like this but this one sucks.

The only reason why Jones is still around is because all the lil girlies just seem to not be able to keep his name out their mouth.smh

"I hate Jon Jones! hes a cheater but i will still watch his next fight because he will surely lose...A bad person wont prevail in a world of cage fighting!"

any fighter that managed to KO himself.

Penn also fought a way off his natural weight class.

Brandon Vera looked like the next big thing 10 years ago, but he was never the same after the long contract negotiations before his fight Sylvia.

Although, maybe he would've lost to Tim anyway.

Let's look at some of the fighters who ruined their own careers with actions outside of the cage.

1.) Cain Velasquez:

I have Cain at the top because he was most likely the fighter who ruined perhaps one of the greatest potential MMA legacies and is still considered the HW GOAT by many. If he had stayed healthy I'm sure he could still even be UFC HW champion.

How did Cain ruin sabotage his career? By not training properly. Cain in the 21st Century was performing weight lifting techniques that high school students would know were being done improperly. Because of this Cain has had 8 surgeries, 4 of which are for his knees. (Two meniscus surgeries, one MCL surgery on my right knee, taking cartilage out of my left elbow, both shoulder I've had torn labrums that needed repairing, and back surgery and a 5th on one of his knees.)

This gif of Cain improperly doing knee extensions with huge weight and as fast as possible still makes me cringe. Everyone knows this isn't the proper way to do knee extensions and will most likely lead to injuries..hello Cain.

With Cain's knee buckling during his recent fight with Ngannou it's safe to say that he will never hold a belt again which is a tragedy. What a stupid way to derail a potentially legendary career.

UmfMEd.gif

I'm no fan of Cain, I always believed he was over-rated but I will admit that if he had stayed healthy he could have been one of the greatest of all time not just HW GOAT. I will say I always thought DC would beat him though, more punching power, better wrestling, and better chin. Would have been a great fight.

2.) Diaz Brothers:

These two most likely would never be champions but they could have put on many entertaining fights and made themselves a lot of money.

What ruined their careers was putting marijuana usage over fighting and over-rating their value. If they played ball they could have had a lot more fights. I wasn't a fan of the Diaz's initially but have warmed to them and do enjoy watching them fight.

3.) Jon Jones:

PED use and recreational drug use hasn't helped his career but because of the UFC hasn't torpedo'd it fully either. It definitely tarnished his legacy and Jon better realize the UFC will only cover for him while he's valuable to them, once he no longer is, his antics won't be tolerated or protected. Numerous car accidents and police incidents don't help either.

4.) BJ Penn:

I'll put BJ for what he didn't do outside of the cage rather than what he did. In his prime Penn relied on his natural ability and skills and did not train enough. I remember hearing about other fighters warming up for their fights and BJ was on a couch eating a burrito before his fight.

BJ is still considered one of the best LW fighters of all time but he could have been great if he really applied himself. Reminds me of Tour de France rider Jan Ulrich who was very similar to Penn and would come into race time approximately 40lbs. over weight. He also partied very hard off season with alcohol and drugs it is said, similar to Penn. What was said about Jan was "Superstar talent and bargain basement motivation.". Same could have been said for BJ.

I'll forgive the responses, cuz they are just that, responses to the OP. But how u gonna start this thread without this picture?

b146cce843fbe5529a2b13ea4e20459814ffc19b13656c0de97014acaeff9fe3_large

The Diaz bros have had long careers spanning over a decade

How many fights do they need to have to satisfy the just bleed gods?

You say they could of put on many entertaining fights and made alot of money, well they have already done both

1.) Cain Velasquez:

UmfMEd.gif

2.) Diaz Brothers:

3.) Jon Jones:

4.) BJ Penn:

Karo comes to mind. Couldn't stay off the pain killers. Had awesome Judo and fun to watch

q1Av1eS.gif

giphy-downsized.gif

Back