MMA fighters in Kickboxing

mywthrizscrd

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So recently I've been watching alot more kick and thai boxing and wondering which MMA fighters could be somewhat successful at a high level. Obviously alot of the guys I list have had kickboxing or other striking backgrounds, but I wonder what would happen if they trained only for stand up fighting. How far would they get?

Anthony Pettis- he has already had pro kickboxing fights, but if he devoted solely to it, I think he could (could've, a little late now) be really good. Everyone knows him for his flashy stuff, but I think he has the most underrated defense on the feet, never taking that much damage. I've never seen him rocked, dropped, or even hit that cleanly. His movement is good both defense and offense not moving excessively and moving his opponents toward his power kick (Castillo, Lauzon, Bendo with those body kicks). Also, he uses his hands to set up his kicks, but he has pretty solid boxing fundamentals.

Jorge Masvidal- I'm a tad biased since he's one of my favorite fighters, and he seems to get dropped every fight now, but Masvidal is a technician. Watching him pick apart Noons was a thing of beauty, and alot like the other fighters listed, doesn't take alot of damage. Sometimes he seems a little too hesitant when his opponent isn't aggresive, but in kickboxingnit seems like guys are always moving forward. When he is counterpunching he has some of the best hands in MMA.

Marlon Moraes- he already has Muay Thai titles in Brazil, so kickboxing wouldn't be a stretch for him, and apparently he was thinking about going back to it before WSOF signed him. Throws good combos and has nasty low kicks. Honestly haven't studied him like others, but what I have seen he seems like a pretty solid thai boxer.

Carlos Condit- He's already fought in Shootboxing and is known as one of the best and most durable strikers in MMA. He uses his range well and still stays aggresive, reminds me alot of Joe Schilling. Sometimes gets a little wild, but I think without the threat of a takedown he would be pretty good.

Yves Edwards- *waits for Sam Stout KO gif* kind of random but I've been a thugjitsu fan for a while, and I think earlier in his career he could've made it as a pro kickboxer. He's really calm and patient, has good head movement and timing with his strikes, likes to throw high kicks and jumping knees but doesn't make them predictable, and IMO most importantly able to fight effectively moving forward, or be the boxer and stay at a distance.

Thoughts, and who else would you include in this list?

Mousasi already has competed and has been successful

Anderson Silva's an obvious choice.
BJ Penn is such a gifted athlete that I imagine he could have been as good at kickboxing as he was at BJJ if he'd gone that route instead.

So recently I've been watching alot more kick and thai boxing and wondering which MMA fighters could be somewhat successful at a high level. Obviously alot of the guys I list have had kickboxing or other striking backgrounds, but I wonder what would happen if they trained only for stand up fighting. How far would they get?

Anthony Pettis- he has already had pro kickboxing fights, but if he devoted solely to it, I think he could (could've, a little late now) be really good. Everyone knows him for his flashy stuff, but I think he has the most underrated defense on the feet, never taking that much damage. I've never seen him rocked, dropped, or even hit that cleanly. His movement is good both defense and offense not moving excessively and moving his opponents toward his power kick (Castillo, Lauzon, Bendo with those body kicks). Also, he uses his hands to set up his kicks, but he has pretty solid boxing fundamentals.

Jorge Masvidal- I'm a tad biased since he's one of my favorite fighters, and he seems to get dropped every fight now, but Masvidal is a technician. Watching him pick apart Noons was a thing of beauty, and alot like the other fighters listed, doesn't take alot of damage. Sometimes he seems a little too hesitant when his opponent isn't aggresive, but in kickboxingnit seems like guys are always moving forward. When he is counterpunching he has some of the best hands in MMA.

Marlon Moraes- he already has Muay Thai titles in Brazil, so kickboxing wouldn't be a stretch for him, and apparently he was thinking about going back to it before WSOF signed him. Throws good combos and has nasty low kicks. Honestly haven't studied him like others, but what I have seen he seems like a pretty solid thai boxer.

Carlos Condit- He's already fought in Shootboxing and is known as one of the best and most durable strikers in MMA. He uses his range well and still stays aggresive, reminds me alot of Joe Schilling. Sometimes gets a little wild, but I think without the threat of a takedown he would be pretty good.

Yves Edwards- *waits for Sam Stout KO gif* kind of random but I've been a thugjitsu fan for a while, and I think earlier in his career he could've made it as a pro kickboxer. He's really calm and patient, has good head movement and timing with his strikes, likes to throw high kicks and jumping knees but doesn't make them predictable, and IMO most importantly able to fight effectively moving forward, or be the boxer and stay at a distance.

Thoughts, and who else would you include in this list?

Meh, as much as I like kickboxing this question isn't very interesting.

Cerrone comes from a kickboxing background. He's 29-0-1 as a kickboxer.

Brandon Thatch is another guy who could probably kickboxing professionally.

TONS of MMA fighters would be successful kickboxing. MMA is full of outstanding kickboxers.

Meh, as much as I like kickboxing this question isn't very interesting.

Dr.-Who.gif

Surprised yet happy nobody has said Barboza yet. His striking defense is absolutely appalling.

Last edited:
Most obvious choice should be Jake "Left leg cemetery" Shields.
post-37737-1285598237.jpg

Although Kru Askren also has a prety good chance:
[YT]xbfr-1KHp7g[/YT]

I won't forget how shocked people were in 2002 or so when rampage went in a ko'd and then beat abidi in k1

Back