MMA fighters and rope jumping

Espresso

Post USADA era will make UFC great again
@Silver
Reaction score
First and fore most i wanna point out that there is an immense correlation between good striking and footwork. Do your own research if you didnt know that.

So im doing some film study on foot work while striking and the guy on video said rope jumping is the best way to gain that agility....obviously!

We all know its basically mandatory for boxers to jump ropes.

There was a thread early on about how bad striking is in the UFC, and while i didnt agree with the entire post (the wild punching by Fedor for example), it is true that there are a bunch of stiffs in the UFC, who clearly lack any sort of fluidity in their jabs and punches all together.

Yes, TD and kicks allowed in MMA are not going to allow fighters to move like a boxer in the octagon, with all the Ali shuffles and FREEDOM OF LEG MOVEMENT, however, the best striker MMA has ever seen, Dominick Cruz, was very big on rope jumping, and had the best footwork as well.

I think the problem in MMA's striking starts from the buttom-up, some of these fighters, even in lighter weight classes, look like they are fighting with concrete boots.

Forget about an actual fight, look at how much faster boxer's feet move while they're training.... How much lighters they look on their feet while feinting, darting, or backing up.

I understand there are many more complex things and facets in MMA than in boxing which is limited to footwork and striking, however, like the goat striker, Cruz, said himself....

"when I'm standing across the cage from another person, before I throw one punch, what's the first thing I'm going to move? My feet. If the very first thing I'm going to move in a fight is my feet, why isn't that the very first thing that I work on?"

Conclusion: MMA fighters need to jump ropes in order to significantly improve their striking.

Last edited:
People in all combat sports should skip rope.

Yep can’t beat tried and true/bread and butter exercises like jump rope.

I feel a lot of mma fighters and their coaches try to get too ‘new and improved’ and forget about the basic training techniques that forged so many great combat athletes before mma was even a thing.

People in all combat sports should skip rope.

Any athlete in any sport could benefit from skipping rope. Pro baseball players here in Japan have started doing it, especially pitchers.
I agree with TS, skipping rope is the most overlooked but most useful tool to get amazing footwork.
So why don't athletes do it, because it's not fucking easy, it takes ages to learn, and something about not wanting to look like a fool in the process, too much pride to try something that at first will make you look like an idiot but in due time will make you love it.

i thought they skipped,, my God I was wrong

Yep can’t beat tried and true/bread and butter exercises like jump rope.

I feel a lot of mma fighters and their coaches try to get too ‘new and improved’ and forget about the basic training techniques that forged so many great combat athletes before mma was even a thing.

Agreed, I'd take jump rope over doing stupid tractor tire flips and sled pulls and pushes all day long.

Any athlete in any sport could benefit from skipping rope. Pro baseball players here in Japan have started doing it, especially pitchers.
I agree with TS, skipping rope is the most overlooked but most useful tool to get amazing footwork.
So why don't athletes do it, because it's not fucking easy, it takes ages to learn, and something about not wanting to look like a fool in the process, too much pride to try something that at first will make you look like an idiot but in due time will make you love it.

As well as some forms of dancing.

To me the GOAT boxer, the true originator of the Ali Shuffle and fancy footwork... Was Sugar Ray Robinson, which was a tap dancer.

To me the GOAT boxer, the true originator of the Ali Shuffle and fancy footwork... Was Sugar Ray Robinson, which was a tap dancer.

And Lomachenko, who did ballet, great thread topic TS I'm surprised no one mentions or talks about this more.

Agreed, I'd take jump rope over doing stupid tractor tire flips and sled pulls and pushes all day long.

Absolutely, cant believe i didnt mention this.

Ali's dad happened to be an actor/ dancer

It's not necessarily the "best" way, (it's certainly up for debate) but it helps. It's sounds like you're coming from a boxing/kickboxing background so you should know first hand that there are different levels to rope jumping. Here are a couple of examples.

There's ELITE rope jumping speed/technique

And average level technique. Both by ELITE boxers.

The BEST way to get "striking" footwork (boxing/kickboxing) IMO is by what some call "dancing stars, line training ETC" (depends on the gym) but it's SOLELY concentrating on " circular line movement" like this, but with switching stances quickly and on line.

I skipped 45 minutes t to a hour in the morning and 20-30 minutes in the afternoon. I swam also, never ran. While I think you should jump, what improves footwork is pads and sparring. As a note, although Fedor punched with a bit of a hook, he wasn't wild. His position and punching is very high level.

It's not necessarily the "best" way, (it's certainly up for debate) but it helps. It's sounds like you're coming from a boxing/kickboxing background so you should know first hand that there are different levels to rope jumping. Here are a couple of examples.

There's ELITE rope jumping speed/technique

And average level technique. Both by ELITE boxers.

The BEST way to get "striking" footwork (boxing/kickboxing) IMO is by what some call "dancing stars, line training ETC" (depends on the gym) but it's SOLELY concentrating on " circular line movement" like this.

Actually neither are jumping rope, that is skipping and running.

As a note, although Fedor punched with a bit of a hook, he wasn't wild. His position and punching is very high level.

Fedor is an amazing striker.... Look at him sparing

Wait, what? It took me like 15 mins to learn how to skip rope. Shit ain't hard, or is there some advanced shit I don't know about?

Agree that skipping rope is fucking awesome though. So damn good for stamina. I run every day, but it wasn't until I started skipping rope that my stamina really picked up. At first I could only skip for like half a min before needing a break. Now, I can get to like 9 mins without stopping and my stamina has just gone up a huge amount.

Note that GSP has never jumped rope a day in his life because his coach Firas Zahabi thinks warming up with anything but actual fighting techniques is a waste of time. That's how his fighters warm up for grappling too; they just go straight on the mat and roll.

Last edited:
Wait, what? It took me like 15 mins to learn how to skip rope. Shit ain't hard, or is there some advanced shit I don't know about?

Agree that skipping rope is fucking awesome though. So damn good for stamina. I run every day, but it wasn't until I started skipping rope that my stamina really picked up. At first I could only skip for like half a min before needing a break. Now, I can get to like 9 mins without stopping and my stamina has just gone up a huge amount.

I agree with you man, it doesn't take long to learn, but guys especially, put them in a gym and they'll immediately head for the bench press or go flip a tire instead of skipping lol. Too self absorbed and self conscience, especially if there's women around.

Note that GSP has never jumped rope a day in his life because his coach Firas Zahabi thinks warming up with anything else but actual fighting techniques is a waste of time. That's how his fighters warm up for grappling too; they just go straight on the mat and roll.

I agree for the most part, nothing beats sparring, but for that, obviously you need a training partner, if and or where you don't have someone to spar with, jump rope and the double end bag for footwork are the best options imo if you are training by yourself, or even as a tool to sharpen your feet.

Jumping rope also balances blood pressure,when you train hard blood flews to head too much and jumping rope brings blood down to body also a lot of bodybuilders do this after hard training

And Lomachenko, who did ballet, great thread topic TS I'm surprised no one mentions or talks about this more.

l3vR965f4ud8zPAiY.gif

giphy.gif

Back