MMA fighter has died today following a cage fight in Brazil

Must have had some sort of preexisting condition.

Must have had some sort of preexisting condition.

Why? It sounds like he didn't die of a heart attack. He was punched repeatedly in the back of the head. It's very unlikely he had a condition that made his brain stem particularly susceptible to being damaged. Anyone can die if they're unlucky enough to get with enough force at a bad angle.

Damn RIP, very sad.
Wonder what the political & societal response would be if this ever happened in the UFC?

Wonder the same. My guess: overreaction from people who don't know anything about it.

Why? It sounds like he didn't die of a heart attack. He was punched repeatedly in the back of the head. It's very unlikely he had a condition that made his brain stem particularly susceptible to being damaged. Anyone can die if they're unlucky enough to get with enough force at a bad angle.

Saw maybe one hit that landed on the back of the head, and it didn't look intentional.

This was an unfortunate circumstance, the other fighter is not to blame.

there was a point when I knew the names and stories of the 3 or 4 people who had die fighting MMA.

Sadly, there are to many now to remember them all.

And people are still trying to sell the safety of this sport by claiming it's safer than boxing because fighters don't get hit repeatedly in the head as much. Just wait until the sport starts taking CTE seriously and we start seeing an increase in scientific data and the physical effects on current and former fighters.

according to sherdog & Joe Rogan, Mario had no rights to DQ erick silva for punches to the back of the head.

Damn that's sad to hear.

I wonder why the back of the skull shakes the brain more than the front. The face takes some massive power strikes and they're usually standing up and talking before Buffer gets in cage

Next time you have a chance, pick up a skull and have a look at the inside of the back, it's nice and smooth, generally, like a bowl, now look at the front of the inside behind the eyes and nose.......I wouldn't want my brain bouncing off that bit...

He might have had an undiscovered archanoid cyst.

Damn, what a tragedy. This is the darker side of mma that we don’t see watching the premier organizations. However it’s got to be a matter of time before something horrible like this happens in UFC/Belator. RIP

All they need to do to prevent this is enforce the fucking rules. Punches to the back of the head are prohibited for a reason. There should be a no tolerance policy for this kind of potentially lethal cheating.

RIP.
Let's not pretend that it doesn't happen all the time in the UFC.

gjvsdwa5rc521.gif

giphy.gif

Let's not pretend that it doesn't happen all the time in the UFC.

gjvsdwa5rc521.gif

giphy.gif
I was actually addressing the UFC in my post. In order to prevent this from happening in the UFC, refs need to enforce a zero tolerance policy against strikes to the back of the head even if it's accidental. Otherwise, fighters will continue to "legally cheat" since refs seldom do anything other than issue empty warnings.

RIP thats terrible and unfortunately that reporters etc. now have again a case to write against MMA...

I mean, in average 4 people die per day because of a diving/snorkeling accident and no reporter would ever try to write against diving and
would say its dangerous, but if we have 1 death in mma in like 5 years they will immediately jump on it and try to tear mma apart

Really tragic to hear that. I can't watch the video

Not gonna watch either. Rest in peace and thanks.

Damn that's sad to hear.

I wonder why the back of the skull shakes the brain more than the front. The face takes some massive power strikes and they're usually standing up and talking before Buffer gets in cage
The brain is literally just inside the back of the skull so hitting someone in the back of the head is almost directly hitting their brain. People don't realise how dangerous it is

That video is fucking horrifying.

Seemingly targets the back of the head at the end. OP says he landed multiple.

fuck.

I wish I could find it, only a couple months ago I read a thread arguing for back of head shots to be legal.

Back