MMA ELO site

I love Aoki but him being the 8th best MMA fighter of all time is fucking hilarious.

I ain’t a hater but come on current top 5 pound for pound? Ehhhh
I wouldnt se why not? HW (except Stipe), LHW and all female weight classes are automatically off the list because of lack of competition (and PED cheats like Jones). Middleweight champ Izzy is in the top 5. Usman is dominating everyone he's faced so he's in the top 5. Khabib just retired but is in the top 5, Dustin and Gaethje have a claim on the top 5 but are not on winning streaks, Volkanovski i guess is on the shortlist for top 5 since he beat Max twice. Petr Yan is great but he has no wins over top 5 opponents so i wouldn't put him up there.

So that leaves:

Stipe
Izzy
Usman
Khabib
Volkanovski

Freire.

You could argue he's in there or close to that top 5.

Just like MMA Matrix, and regular fan/media rankings, this can only ever be a general guide of who the best fighters are.

For a system like this to genuinely show who the best are, it'd be analysing every individual, strike, step, feint, head movement, block, parry, slip, grappling movement, etc. And no one knows enough to be able to effectively create such a system.

Just like MMA Matrix, and regular fan/media rankings, this can only ever be a general guide of who the best fighters are.

For a system like this to genuinely show who the best are, it'd be analysing every individual, strike, step, feint, head movement, block, parry, slip, grappling movement, etc. And no one knows enough to be able to effectively create such a system.
the most accurate system we could probably hope for would be if someone did a meta analysis on the rankings, basically averaging out all of the major sites

It's not bad, but also not great.
Doesn't factor in how you win. Do that, then I'm impressed
A robbery or split decision ways the same as dominating with a knockout.

You dont assess a legacy/career with this type of mediocre datas... Very easy to counter.

Nothin´replaces watchin´the fights & knowin´about the context.

The sample of fights is way too low for ELO to work as well as it does for Chess or most other sports. How many FIDE matches does Magnus Carlsen play each year? And how many times a year does someone like Khabib fight?

the most accurate system we could probably hope for would be if someone did a meta analysis on the rankings, basically averaging out all of the major sites
That would still fall under the former though. It'd still just be a general guide.

Elo is perfect for mma. Dumb people knock it because they don't like the results, but the only thing the elo results reveal is how ridiculous matchmaking in MMA is.

If fighters with relatively even scores were to fight, this would work itself out pretty fast

I really want elo implemented on sherdog. They already have the database to do it. The number of fights isn't a problem. Just make every fight impact your score more drastically.

MMAth is real folks

holy-shit-gif-5.gif

Back