MMA dude bro technique

browng210

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Okay... So a guy I know and train with sometimes (kickboxing and no-gi grappling) decides to sign up at a boxing/MMA gym in the town he lives in now, several hours away. The guy is a beginner, and his first class there, the combos are like flying knee - head kick - superman punch. There may have been more but that's the one he told us about. He was also approached about taking an amateur fight within 5 minutes of walking in the door.
I don't have a problem with any of the techniques above if you know fundamentals, but no jab, cross, hook, turn your hips, move your head, nothing of that sort? Just go in and act like you're trying out for Never Back Down 6. When we got together recently we spent a good bit of time on jab, cross, using your hips, distance, and some basic rear leg kicks, the guy is learning and doing well with instruction, but I was blown away by the way the gym he went to operates.
Anybody have any similar stories?

Last edited:
This gym certainly doesn't sound like it caters to newer guys; find another gym or you're going to have a hard go at it.

This gym certainly doesn't sound like it caters to newer guys; find another gym or you're going to have a hard go at it.
sounds like the gym doesn't cater to anyone but idiots if they actually have people drilling flying knee, headkick, superman punch combos

I can only assume they don't care too much about technique or progression of skills... Also he said they made fun of spinning sh!t. Not sure how that's worse than someone throwing a head kick when they've never been taught to rotate their hips.

Sounds like a McDojo who cares more about how much money you will earn him thus the amateur question. It does look like it caters to idiots with all those fancy moves thus a McDojo. He should karate chop some bricks to be really impressive.

The first question a trainer should ask is how long you been training or have you trained before then go from there. Anything else, get out of there.

Back