MMA death from weight cut

Boxing used to do same day weigh ins until Boom Boom Mancini killed that Korean boxer. Part of the safety precautions taken after that incident was to move weigh ins the day before.

If weigh ins were moved back to fight night, fighters will still be cutting weight but now be fighting dehydrated which will lead to more serious injuries and possibly death. The current system works, fighters need to learn how to cut weight properly and safely.
Truth.

If the weigh in was on the day of the fight we would have more deaths due to dehydration.

weight cutting is lame, and anyone who's "pro weight-cutting" is a moron

how could you possibly be for unfair advantages and having fighters gas after 1 round?

Unfair advantages implies only a couple guys weight cut, when all except maybe a handful do.

And nobody is "pro weight cutting" we just recognize that it's a part of the sport and is impossible to regulate effectively.

He died from a stroke and his aunt said he had heart problems, a legit AC probably wouldn't have even let him fight.

Preexisting condition or cutting so much water weight that his blood turned to cake batter? Either way the weight cut didn't murder him, he chose to overdo it and now he's dead.

Yes, car accidents don't kill anyone either, it's the internal bleeding and trauma that does it. You chose to drive the car after all.

Weight-cutting sucks and I am shocked at the number of people actually rushing to defend such a horrid practice, especially the way it's done in MMA - WAY over the line...

Boxing used to do same day weigh ins until Boom Boom Mancini killed that Korean boxer. Part of the safety precautions taken after that incident was to move weigh ins the day before.

Let them weigh in the day before and they are allowed to weigh a couple pounds over that weight on fight night.

The current system sucks and it's unfair, especially to fighters who wouldn't agree to hurt their bodies so severely if they wouldn't get mauled by much bigger dudes if they didn't do it

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks weight cutting is safe should ask Daniel Cormier's kidney

Anyone who thinks weight cutting is safe should ask Daniel Cormier's kidney

But it's the fighters choice to do it or not, right? If you leave it in their hands it will self-regulate. For sure!

looking forward to seeing Cormier at 205 in his next fight......

But it's the fighters choice to do it or not, right? If you leave it in their hands it will self-regulate. For sure!

looking forward to seeing Cormier at 205 in his next fight......

It's there choice and there is no way to stop them but it's pretty brutal on your system. People have to make their own decisions though.

Weight-cutting sucks and I am shocked at the number of people actually rushing to defend such a horrid practice, especially the way it's done in MMA - WAY over the line...
The problem is that it's not that simple to stop people from weight cutting. You can't just tell fighters to not cut weight, "pretty please" won't work. Cutting weight gives an advantage and people will do it as long it does. If you want to stop weight cutting you have to have a way to enforce it.

Having weigh in's at the day is not a good way to enforce not weight cutting. People will still cut weight and then they will fight dehydrated.
Fighters really want to win so bad that they will sacrifice their health to do so.

You have to remember that fighters at the highest level are not reasonable people. They won't give up their dream so that they will be healthy and live to be old. It's the opposite, they will do everything to win, including take a risks with their health.

Last edited:
It's always tragic when someone passes too soon. I don't know if things have changed but when I was wrestling in college you had to certify for the weight class and a hydration test would follow. The fact is that people still would find was around it.

yep a guy I wrestled with got caught with a small squeeze bottle that was filled with "hydrated piss" taped to his middle leg, they just started instituting the water requirement at that time.

yep a guy I wrestled with got caught with a small squeeze bottle that was filled with "hydrated piss" taped to his middle leg, they just started instituting the water requirement at that time.

Yea, there are always ways around things. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything to prevent excessive weight cuts, or do away with piss tests for drugs though. Maybe something similar to the minimum wrestling weight should be brought in. Do it once a year, or whenever a fighter wants to move down a weight class. And have a commission doctor *closely* monitor all fighters. Take urine tests, and hook them up to a portable heart monitor for 12-24 hours before a weigh in.

Yes, car accidents don't kill anyone either, it's the internal bleeding and trauma that does it. You chose to drive the car after all.

Let them weigh in the day before and they are allowed to weigh a couple pounds over that weight on fight night.

The current system sucks and it's unfair, especially to fighters who wouldn't agree to hurt their bodies so severely if they wouldn't get mauled by much bigger dudes if they didn't do it

Terrible analogy. A better one would be to compare drinking and driving, and saying it's not the driving that killed him, it's that he chose to drink and then drive which was reckless. Driving itself is not a bad idea.

If weigh ins were moved back to fight night, fighters will still be cutting weight but now be fighting dehydrated which will lead to more serious injuries and possibly death. The current system works, fighters need to learn how to cut weight properly and safely.

let me get this logic, figthers will still weight cut, eventhough they cannot rehydrate back? you mean fighters will chose to fight dehydrated in order to gain what??? I really cannot get this "fighters will still cut weight"... no they wont, they will diet and try to make the lowest safest weight to fight, wont be cutting 20 pounds, and if they do, them its on them, gotta be one fucking moron to do that...

The problem is that it's not that simple to stop people from weight cutting. You can't just tell fighters to not cut weight, "pretty please" won't work. Cutting weight gives an advantage and people will do it as long it does. If you want to stop weight cutting you have to have a way to enforce it.

Having weigh in's at the day is not a good way to enforce not weight cutting. People will still cut weight and then they will fight dehydrated.
Fighters really want to win so bad that they will sacrifice their health to do so.

You have to remember that fighters at the highest level are not reasonable people. They won't give up their dream so that they will be healthy and live to be old. It's the opposite, they will do everything to win, including take a risks with their health.

if they would get an edge from fighting dehydrated, then I agree, but since there is about NONE advantage to fight semi dead, then I really really cannot see where would the motivation to cut weight be for them...

I believe 2 weights is the way to go, one 24 hours before the fight, for the show bla bla bla, and one same day weights in, like 1 hour or so before the fight, fighter can gain only X ammount of weight between days. goes beyond that, hes losing the fight. May be theres a scientific way to measure the hydration level of the fighter, if there is, then that should be implemented.

let me get this logic, figthers will still weight cut, eventhough they cannot rehydrate back? you mean fighters will chose to fight dehydrated in order to gain what??? I really cannot get this "fighters will still cut weight"... no they wont, they will diet and try to make the lowest safest weight to fight, wont be cutting 20 pounds, and if they do, them its on them, gotta be one fucking moron to do that...

Yea, there's no way a professional fighter, especially one in a championship match, would cut excessive amounts of weight just prior to a fight to avoid losing his shot at a title. There's also no way it'd kill him.

Oh. Wait.

alg_duk-koo-kim.jpg

You're assuming that fighters who fail to act rationally in one situation will act rationally in a slightly different situation. It's not about winning or losing, most of these guys have cut to the weights they missed before with no problem. It's the guys who have a bad cut, and do whatever they can to still make weight so that they don't get cut, lose 20% of their pay, or lose a shot at moving up the rankings or winning a belt. These are the same guys who will use PEDs that harm their body in the long run, and are involved in combat sports that will eventually cripple more than a few of them. Acting rationally in that situation is not the number one thing on their mind.

If there is a solution, it will come from closer medical monitoring of the fighters, or regulating how much weight they are actually allowed to attempt to cut. Moving the weigh in will just change where the fighters are at risk. They won't be at as much risk during the cut, but they'll still cut, and will arguable be at more risk during the fight.

Last edited:
Yea, there's no way a professional fighter, especially one in a championship match, would cut excessive amounts of weight just prior to a fight to avoid losing his shot at a title. There's also no way it'd kill him.

Oh. Wait.

alg_duk-koo-kim.jpg

thats why theres 2 weights in...

there may be some fighters that will continue to do it, but the vast mayority wont. getting in the cage totally dehydrated means you either get a ko in the first minute or you are losing the fight.

Back