MMA death from weight cut

Yea, pretty sad.
It was Already posted on Worldwide MMA discussion though.

Last edited:
You can't say it was "from the weight cut", nobody here knows what was his health condition before that. Who knows if he already had heart issues or something. Let's wait for the autopsy...
He died during the weight cut, that's how you say it.

Before this get moved, or another thread comes in, the official autopsy has been released appointing death by Stroke

Before this get moved, or another thread comes in, the official autopsy has been released appointing death by Stroke

Preexisting condition or cutting so much water weight that his blood turned to cake batter? Either way the weight cut didn't murder him, he chose to overdo it and now he's dead.

My opinion is weighting cutting has and always will be a joke. You should have to fight close to your natural body weight, it shouldn't be a game of who can cut the most to make what division. It's harder on fighters bodies than the actual fights.

Sad, but hopefully it will put some focus on weight-cutting. The best option must be to have the weigh-In right before stepping into the cage. What is the reason for having it the day before the fight?

Sad, but hopefully it will put some focus on weight-cutting. The best option must be to have the weigh-In right before stepping into the cage. What is the reason for having it the day before the fight?

That's how its done in boxing(or at least was for most of the matches when it was introduced in mma) which almost everything in mma is borrowed from.

There are other combat sports/martial arts that weigh in before the match. I'm sure you can look at all of them and see what the best protocol for mma is. I'm not sure what it is personally, but I think they can come up with something better then they have.

Unfortunately it wont. The only way this issue will get some kind of attention is when a big fight is cancelled due to weight-cut error or a big star is involved in a weight-cut accident. Don't need a death but it sure would put the matter in the headlines.

Imagine a big name dying from weight-cut, it would be front page everywhere.

Preexisting condition or cutting so much water weight that his blood turned to cake batter? Either way the weight cut didn't murder him, he chose to overdo it and now he's dead.

It was stated that it had to do with pressure conditions, however the Aunt (happens to be a nurse) of the fighter is contesting the final report saying that he never had Pressure-related issues before.. who knows..

Boxing used to do same day weigh ins until Boom Boom Mancini killed that Korean boxer. Part of the safety precautions taken after that incident was to move weigh ins the day before.

If weigh ins were moved back to fight night, fighters will still be cutting weight but now be fighting dehydrated which will lead to more serious injuries and possibly death. The current system works, fighters need to learn how to cut weight properly and safely.

You can't say it was "from the weight cut", nobody here knows what was his health condition before that. Who knows if he already had heart issues or something. Let's wait for the autopsy...
He died during the weight cut, that's how you say it.

But he died due to complications from the weight cut you winner.

It's always tragic when someone passes too soon. I don't know if things have changed but when I was wrestling in college you had to certify for the weight class and a hydration test would follow. The fact is that people still would find was around it.

If weigh ins were moved back to fight night, fighters will still be cutting weight but now be fighting dehydrated which will lead to more serious injuries and possibly death. The current system works, fighters need to learn how to cut weight properly and safely.

I agree... guys are always going to trying to get that edge, no way around it. Having weigh in the day of the fight could actually be more dangerous because guys would be going into the ring already totally dehydrated

weight cutting is lame, and anyone who's "pro weight-cutting" is a moron

how could you possibly be for unfair advantages and having fighters gas after 1 round?

Back