MMA classes? is it worthy?

frango

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello all.

I think this might be the right forum to start this thread.

Here is the deal: I lift in a gym where they also offer boxing, muay thay, wrestling, jiu jitsu -AND- MMA classes.

I know the ideal scenario for a fighter is to have a background in some grappling art, boxing and MT knowledge, BUT there is this specifically *MMA* classes in my gym...and im wondering if its a good idea to attend to it.

Do you guys think its better to start some boxing classes, then gradually move to judo/bjj/wrestling and muay thay to gain experience...or could i really learn how to fight in a specifically MMA class?

does it sound like a mcdojo concept to you guys?

My gym is pretty legit, the owner teaches BJJ and trained judo with Koga and defeated a Gracie member (dont remember wich one) in a BJJ fight...i really do trust them as a good martial arts school.

But are MMA classes worthy?

thanks for the attention.

Personally i believe in the jack of all trades, master of none idea.

But if you have a good instructor i think you'll be good.

Rory MacDonald straight up joined Tristar without any previous training. He's on the cusp of a title shot. Go for it. You can always take grappling or boxing classes later.

In schools that have this class layout it's one of two things:

1) It's legitimate. The boxing/muay thai/bjj/etc classes are to focus specifically on that aspect of your game and the "MMA class" is usually where people who take the other classes and are interested in MMA get to put it all together. A lot of times the MMA classes are invite only/for fighters only so ask about that first.

2) It's a McDojo. The gym is trying to be a jack of all trades and master of none. They're offering every class in the book and also throwing in an "MMA class" because MMA is popular.

I don't know anything about your gym or what it's called so I have no way of knowing which of the above two apply to your place. The two provide very different settings and I've very rarely seen any middle ground. The contrast is very stark. A gym either offers that variety of classes because they know what they're talking about and can do it effectively, or they do it because they want to look like they know what they're talking about to make money. You should be able to tell.

Rory MacDonald straight up joined Tristar without any previous training. He's on the cusp of a title shot. Go for it. You can always take grappling or boxing classes later.

tristar is a bit better of a gym than the one op is talking about im guessing

Isn't the obvious answer "go ask the coaches at your gym what they think"?

My gym also has MMA classes and they ask that you have some basic training in the other arts first. The thing is, it's the most experienced guys in the gym typically taking the MMA classes.

It's certainly not McDojo for holding MMA classes. In fact, you can probably argue it's the best way to train, since MMA training brings it all together.

The instructor(s) are what make a gym McDojo. If the guy was a TKD instructor who simply hung a MMA sign on the front, then I would be worried.

Back