MMA bozo showed up to wrestling practice

It's definitely true with Muay Thai. Boxing, as well. Pretty much any art you see practiced in MMA is going to be a bastardized version adapted for the sport, or a substandard version due to the limited training time and focus on each particular aspect of fighting under MMA rules.

Pretty much.

You wanna get F***ING CHICKEN WINGED? Do you even know what a pin is? Get the hell out of hear and go train with your bjj or mma boyfriends before I cradle your ass!

Seriously I can't stop laughing after reading this response. Lol. Chicken winged! Lol, cradling my ass!!!

I feel like the MMA guy was in the wrong in this situation.

I currently am a brown belt in BJJ but I go to a nearby high school every single day to wrestle in order to make sure my wrestling also doesn't stop improving.

Although a lot of what is being taught may not be directly applicable to BJJ or MMA, I understand what I am being provided, which is a FAVOR from the team/coach. Before finding the current school where I am wrestling at, I've been turned down from another one because they don't want strangers wrestling with the team.

If the coach says to do a double leg, I'll do a double leg, but if he also says to practice cradles and tilts, I will do it as well. I'll sit out if it means none of the kids on the team have to sit out because of a lack of a partner, and I will try my best to not cause any injuries.

I feel like the MMA guy was in the wrong in this situation.

I currently am a brown belt in BJJ but I go to a nearby high school every single day to wrestle in order to make sure my wrestling also doesn't stop improving.

Although a lot of what is being taught may not be directly applicable to BJJ or MMA, I understand what I am being provided, which is a FAVOR from the team/coach. Before finding the current school where I am wrestling at, I've been turned down from another one because they don't want strangers wrestling with the team.

If the coach says to do a double leg, I'll do a double leg, but if he also says to practice cradles and tilts, I will do it as well. I'll sit out if it means none of the kids on the team have to sit out because of a lack of a partner, and I will try my best to not cause any injuries.

^Definitely true... they don't have to let you work out with them, it's decent to show some respect.

So wait, an MMA guy came to your wrestling practice and was he was best at the parts of wrestling that translate most directly to MMA?

Shocking.

Despite his rather snobbish delivery I can kind of see where the TS is coming from.

Imagine if you were in your BJJ class and a Judoka showed up and only wanted to work on subs applicable in a Judo situation.

Or if a wrestler showed up in Judo only for the throws applicable to his sport.

Or a Judoka showed up in wrestling and only wanted to work turn-overs since he had his own way of taking people down

Or you were in any of the above "big three of grappling" classes and some MMAist only wanted to drill what was applicable to him.

If you're the guest from another art (or mixed art), you go along with what the class is doing out of respect for them letting you train at all, ask for assistance when the class is done.

Not saying TS is right in his thought process, but he does bring up a point.

Last edited:
Except the MMA fella only left with the excuse that he wanted to work on takedowns after TS and his bros berated him for being such a newb. Seems like he was willing to the drill and then suddenly felt unwanted. I wonder why.

No offence but OP sounds like a jerk, how can you be so condescending on someone for not knowing wrestling rules, you said yourself he had a decent double and a good lat drop so obviously he's not oblivious to aspects of wrestling, it's not like you're born with the information about how wrestling works, were you born with the information? Did you know how pins worked the second you popped out ? No obviously you acquired this information through research, asking questions, or learning on the mat. I wonder if you walked into a BJJ , Judo or Muay Thai gym, how many of the technical terms or rules you would know in your first session.

Despite his rather snobbish delivery I can kind of see where the TS is coming from.

Imagine if you were in your BJJ class and a Judoka showed up and only wanted to work on subs applicable in a Judo situation.

Or a Judoka showed up in wrestling and only wanted to work turn-overs since he had his own way of taking people down

Or you were in any of the above "big three of grappling" classes and some MMAist only wanted to drill what was applicable to him.

If you're the guest from another art (or mixed art), you go along with what the class is doing out of respect for them letting you train at all, ask for assistance when the class is done.

My thoughts exactly, I was going to post this but you said it better than I could of.

^Yep.

kolats vids are awesome brother!! where do you wrestle grap-wiz??

I completely agree with all of this. However, that doesn't seem like the situation that TS described. It sounds like the MMA guy displayed ignorance of wrestling technique and rules, then TS and his teammates belittled him for it, and then the guy turned down their offers to "help" him with those techniques. I can't blame him.

TS, he was there because he thought you guys were good at wrestling, and wanted to get better; you should have taken it as a compliment. You're bitching that he left after you embarrassed him?

You owe your coach an apology.

I completely agree with all of this. However, that doesn't seem like the situation that TS described. It sounds like the MMA guy displayed ignorance of wrestling technique and rules, then TS and his teammates belittled him for it, and then the guy turned down their offers to "help" him with those techniques. I can't blame him.

TS, he was there because he thought you guys were good at wrestling, and wanted to get better; you should have taken it as a compliment. You're bitching that he left after you embarrassed him?

You owe your coach an apology.

You could be right. And I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle since we only have the TS's side and our own experiences to base it off.

I have to agree. I started training Judo as a blue belt in BJJ. I didn't walk in trying to do leg grabs, I didn't say things like "that won't work in BJJ", if you start training in a art, take the art for what it is. I would love to do some wrestling at some point in the future, my Judo and BJJ will help, but I would still be a beginner in wrestling and still follow the rules of the sport.

You could be right. And I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle since we only have the TS's side and our own experiences to base it off.

Of course. I have to admit that my interpretation of it is colored in part by other posts of his that I have read.

The guy just wanted to drill takedowns. That is how lots of people train, even at the college or Olympic level. If some guys are drilling shit that you arent working on or that isnt part of your style, you drill your own shit. Thats how every practice at the OTC is. I never once drilled a damn chicken wing there for 4 years.

Maybe that's how it works at the Olympic Takedown Center, guy. But we're talking about WRESTLING. Real American wrestling, not that stuff the Russkies do.

Maybe that's how it works at the Olympic Takedown Center, guy. But we're talking about WRESTLING. Real American wrestling, not that stuff the Russkies do.

I never really drilled chicken wings in college either.

No, you can learn control in BJJ. To paraphrase Frank Mir:

"If Damien Maia wanted to rape me, I don't think I could stop him."

And yet Munoz and weidman defeated Maia by using their grappling base, wrestling, to keep the fight standing. His BJJ just couldn't "control" their wrestling.

Back