MMA bozo showed up to wrestling practice

Grapplingwizard**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So yesterday at practice this guy came in and talked to our coach and asked if he could train with us. My coach said sure. The guy i guess was an mma fighter on the local circuit. After warm ups when we got to drilling technique, he came up to our group of 3 and asked if he could drill with us so we said sure. We talked a little bit though about who he is/where he is from. He told us he is an mma fighter on the local circuit just looking for some extra training in wrestling. He said he trained with State champs, national champs, basically a lot of high level guys. He said that he is a good wrestler. Well so we get to drilling technique and he has a solid blast double leg and a decent lat drop. We get to drilling top moves and the coach says to drill chicken wings. He asks us what a chicken wing is so we tell him, but not without asking him how he doesn't know a chicken wing if he trained with a lot of good wrestlers. He said that he thought wrestling was a Takedown art and didn't know it involved ground stuff. We asked him if he knew that matches end via pin and he said yes so we asked well you thought you could get someone on their back without a pinning combo? He said he thought if you get a takedown it is a pin cause you will land in the guys guard. So me knowing mma and bjj i told my friends what was up with this dude and then we were going to show him how to do a chicken wing after all of this and he said nah I'm fine I just want to do stand up stuff. He left the mat room. Moral of the story: I fucking hate when mma people talk wrestling stuff and think they know how to "wrestle" because they know how to do a double leg. There is much more to wrestling than what mma guys refer to as "wrestling". A lot of the fucking guys that trash on Cary Kolat's videos because you can get arm barred or crucifixed etc. from doing that move also piss me off. This is fucking wrestling where that isn't allowed. Leave wrestling alone, please. Any other wrestlers on here know what I'm talking about. Also, the guy that dropped in that practice most likely attended a takedown class (which he thought takedown=wrestling) and there were some high level wrestlers there and he did a round or two of live wrestling with them.

a9c.png

Cliff notes; wrestling is more than takedowns and is a sport in and of itself with its own rules

No different from a white belt in bjj telling people not to use open guard because they'll get soccer kicked in the balls.

Well that's an awfully ignorant view of wrestling. I've found that my BJJ game has improved due to the control aspects of wrestling on the ground so people who go around thinking that even training wrestling on the ground won't help them for MMA are stupid.

Well that's an awfully ignorant view of wrestling. I've found that my BJJ game has improved due to the control aspects of wrestling on the ground so people who go around thinking that even training wrestling on the ground won't help them for MMA are stupid.

Well put.

Any time I have trouble sweeping someone new who isn't higher ranked from bottom side control I ask them after the roll if they wrestled in high school. They always say yes. I then reply, yeah it shows.

Op sounds like a jerk. You clearly thought you were somehow better than him because he doesn't know how to pin people or do a chicken wing or whatever. The guy was just there trying to improve him wrestling for MMA, not learn how to pin a guy.

Guys like you ruin it for everyone. You make training so intimidating that a lot of guys just never go back. Leave your attitude somewhere else, it really doesn't impress me at all what you know about wrestling. I think wrestling is stupid to be honest with you.

Yah. He wasn't doin real wrasslin (south park lol)

King of The Hill covered that first way back in the day. Bobby was gonna wrestle Kahn Jr. in the city finals but in the end they wound up putting on a pro 'rasslin' style match with fake blood and chair shots. The coach asked what the fuck they were doin'. A nearby kid remarked, "That's REAL wrestling."

Op sounds like a jerk. You clearly thought you were somehow better than him because he doesn't know how to pin people or do a chicken wing or whatever. The guy was just there trying to improve him wrestling for MMA, not learn how to pin a guy.

Guys like you ruin it for everyone. You make training so intimidating that a lot of guys just never go back. Leave your attitude somewhere else, it really doesn't impress me at all what you know about wrestling. I think wrestling is stupid to be honest with you.

he's probably just a kid, you can't really expect him to be completely in control of his ego and attitude at a young age. that takes time for men to earn (some never do)

If he was trying to improve his wrestling for mma, go do some mma classes or something. This was a real wrestling practice. We aren't going to change what we drill for a guy that isn't even part of our team. I didn't make training intimidating at all, we were quite respectful, but we can't cater to this guys needs for mma when we are in the toughest time of the season right now. If you don't wanna learn how to pin a guy, don't do wrestling, simple as that. I didn't have an attitude either, I just got all my anger out on here regarding mma people thinking they know wrestling and what not. And that's cool you think wrestling is stupid, it's also one of the best disciplines for mma and one of the toughest sports.

Ok we get it, wrestling is the best. Mma, bjj all suck cause they are elitist pricks who want to ruin your practice.

Back