MMA/Boxing crossovers complete list?

He fought in Pride and was the 1st stop Cabbage I think. He also lost to Minowa.

Nah, Bart Gunn got to Cabbage after Timmeh and Arlovski ruined him. I believe he won via cuts but I can't be bothered to check. His real name wasn't Bart Gunn either, iirc.

He had some personal drama, divorce from his wife who he loved very much which was hard on him. As well as high expectations of what he wanted from the UFC (definitely higher than the 100k for multiple fight TUF contract to the winner). He was used to pretty big money fights in boxing at the time he crossed over and UFC pay especially in those days was abysmal. He felt disheartened by the amount of money he could make even though his skills were high level. I saw him destroy guys like Rampage, Randy, Kongo etc daily in the gym. He also was a paid sparring partner of Tito’s in big bear at the time for camps. The week Kimbo was in our gym he quit after the first round of sparring Kickboxing with Jeremy who used to use 20oz gloves when sparring with MMA guys because he just hit way to hard for everyone. Also his wrestling was surprisingly good (he was state in HS) although he was only a blue belt under Eddie Bravo (who was the Jits coach at legends which was 10th planets original home) he was a freak athlete and ate up any and all pros there during MMA sparring sessions which I was a part of 5 days a week at that time as it was my home gym for a couple years and I was a part of the fight team. The gym was home to Randy, Bas, Rob Kaman, Mayhem, Rampage, Karo, etc etc at the time it was the premiere MMA gym in Los Angeles.

Not gonna lie, never heard of Jeremy Williams before now. Looks like Drew McFedries and/or Mike Kyle, take your pick. Dude could definitely crack!

For balance, here's Jeremy Williams against a straight beast of the mid-2000's.

My word, that was a left hook from the darkest corners of hell!

I take it this was on the undercard of Paul/Askren? Didn't even hear about it, tbh. Mir hasn't been missing too many meals, I can tell you that much.

jebus how could i forget this! Maybe my mind was trying to purge itself of hearing de la hoya spout dumb sh1t for 30 minutes

How could you miss Toney vs Couture ?

That was against a top 3 Heavyweight at the time. Also Jeremy was an extremely small HW he fought MMA at 205 and was a natural cruiser weight boxer he fought at HW for the money and because he was just that good, no shame in that loss imo.

He wanted to fight the top of UFC 205lb div (at the time Chuck) instead they offered him a spot on Tuf and he felt disrespected and didn’t take it. He’s probably the greatest missed talent opportunity I know of from a signing perspective.
That's a shame!
Fighters who were more accomplished than him in MMA went through the TUF house, the most obvious example being Roy Nelson, because Dana hated him (probably still does).

Also his wrestling was surprisingly good (he was state in HS) although he was only a blue belt under Eddie Bravo (who was the Jits coach at legends which was 10th planets original home) he was a freak athlete

Damn right, I remember his boxing bout against Travis "the Ironman" Fulton back in 2013 at Waterloo, Iowa, and Mr Williams had a solid takedown defense ^^ especially since he wasn't even supposed to be expecting takedowns...

Fulton kept clinching, ignoring the ref, trying takedowns, clinched, until ref Jim Barr had enough and DQ'd him.
Fulton really turned that one into a mudfight.
In hindsight, considering what we now know about Fulton, I wish I could have seen him brutally knocked out <{Joewithit}>

Takada vs. Berbick and Saku vs Williams were likely fixes.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think the Rubin Williams vs Saku fight was fixed?
It went pretty much exactly like one would expect, with the boxer eating low kicks from the MMA guy (who, even in his old age, had some nasty low-kicks, partially thanks to his Chute Boxe training I'd assume) until he couldn't stand anymore, and then got sub'd on the ground.

I don't really see that one fight as shaddy, but more like a bone thrown to Saku... and possibly for the hardcores out there, a throwback to Takada vs Berbick, or just to the good old "one style vs another style" match up from the early days

Basically Takada vs Berbick, but without the "jumping out of the ring" thing.
About that one, I've often heard/read that it was going to be a fake fight exhibition, but Takada said fuck it and started throwing for real.
A bit like Antonio Inoki vs Antonio Barichievich aka the Great Antonio, but unlike Inoki, Takada attacked unprovoked.

If that's true, then it's just another proof of Nobuhiko "The Yellow Dana" Takada's sketchiness...

Last edited:
That was against a top 3 Heavyweight at the time. Also Jeremy was an extremely small HW he fought MMA at 205 and was a natural cruiser weight boxer he fought at HW for the money and because he was just that good, no shame in that loss imo.

Sam Peter wasn't even ranked when they fought in 2004. He'd run through a bunch of jobbers up until that point and Williams would have been the first big test of his career. Within a Sam he was giving prime Wlad Klitschko absolute hell so he it turned out he was that damn good after all (and arguably a Top 3 HW) but he was an interesting unknown when he fought Williams.

Williams definitely looked a little undersized against the super heavies of the late 90's and 2000's, but his chin also left something to be desired. Regardless, the guy looked really skilled and powerful and I would've loved to see him at LHW back in the day, although that chin of his would certainly have been checked by the guys in the division at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back